Please give credit when credit due.

Page 3 / 4
elliehen, Nov 18, 4:44am
Typos can turn a post in a 'whole nother direction' ;)

davidt4, Nov 18, 4:47am
Sounds like a nasty affliction.Maybe someone in Health & Beauty can advise.

nfh1, Nov 18, 4:49am
yes - antibiotics definitely needed for that!Probably two lots.

clementine, Nov 18, 7:19am
It's actually a breach of copyright to post a food writer's published recipes on here and many of them take an understandably dim view of it. The other bugbear is people who 'give' their family's favourite recipe to be used in a school cookbook and neglect to acknowledge the source. Recipes are, quite simply, their writer's intellectual property whether we like that fact, or agree with it. If the food writer is happy to have the recipe out there they'll post it themselves on sites such as Foodlovers.

kassie48, Nov 18, 7:38am
Can't get hold of Aunt Daisy.

uli, Nov 18, 7:40am
Actually ellie - that is the only thing I do when I read your posts - laugh . yours and cooks posts are the most ridiculous that I have ever seen on any messageboard - so I do not need any encouragement .

knowsley, Nov 18, 7:42am
You've obviously never read what you write.

punkinthefirst, Nov 18, 7:48am
Agree.
We buy these books because, while we know the recipes have often been "collected" from other books, we also know they've been tested using NZ ingredientsand conditions. Sorry, but Alison Holst is one of the worst plagiarisers - recipes in her books have been previously published in Edmonds, in the WDFF ccokbook, in Aunt Daisy's cookbook., and others.
And if you used a chef's cookbook, you will find that many of them give quantities as "parts", so that they can be scaled up and down. There are only so many formulae for the delicious chemistry that is cooking!

katalin2, Nov 18, 8:17am
indeed.

elliehen, Nov 18, 8:38am
She's pushing up daisies.

elliehen, Nov 18, 8:52am
Copyright for recipes:

"Generally speaking, individual recipes are not typically considered creative works and are not usually protected under copyright law.

However, if you put recipes into a cookbook collection with narrative and photos that are unique to your own life, that distinctive cookbook collection would be considered a creative work and could be copyrighted as a whole.

If some of your collected recipes are not identifiable or come from other cookbooks, and you still want to include them in your own family cookbook, here are a few suggestions to keep you honest and avoid that dreaded P word: plagiarism.

Reproducing recipes from a known cookbook or website:
If you use an exact recipe verbatim, you should give full credit to the cookbook, website or newspaper from which it originated, with specific dates of publication, if possible. If you plan to sell the cookbook for profit or even as a fundraiser, make every effort to get permission to reprint the recipe directly from the publisher/owner.

What if you alter the recipe! Changing a few ingredients here and there to your own tastes essentially changes any printed recipe and creates a new one. But you should always give credit to the source of the new recipe by adding a footnote such as “Inspired by a recipe in Southern Living magazine, 1978,” for example. Part of the joy of developing new recipe ideas is the ability to share them so others can try and enjoy them.

Reproducing recipes from an unidentifiable old clipping:
When you do not know where the recipe came from, adding a simple “Original Source Unknown” as a footnote to the recipe indicates that it came from elsewhere, and that you truthfully do not claim ownership of it (but you do use and enjoy it).

You might check the local newspaper to see if there are similar recipes in their food section database. Often collectors clip recipes from the local newspaper, not paying attention to keep the date or publication name intact with the clipping.

Reproducing hand-written recipes from family members:
Again, assuming you have permission to reprint the family recipes (because everyone knows you are creating a family cookbook and have agreed to help), the best thing to do is to give credit to the family member and add a date on the bottom of the recipe, such as circa 1940. If at all possible, at the end of every original family recipe, insert a copyright symbol and date (© 1940) if you want to claim ownership of the family recipe.

To publish for profit, formally copyright your cookbook:
When you create a cookbook of your own for personal use, it is automatically copyrighted and you do not have to apply for a copyright. But if you want to protect your cookbook as your intellectual property so that others cannot profit from it, you must have your cookbook copyrighted. It is proof in a court of law that you are the creator of the cookbook."

pickles7, Nov 18, 9:04am
Long winded.same message
No copyright, for something, that evolves. recipes evolve.

toadfish, Nov 18, 9:27am
I remember a Jo Seagar/Chelsea Sugar competition where everyone entered their family recipes.In the small print it said by entering you waived all rights and agreed for it to be published in her next book on baking.

Never entered my familys Christmas Pudding recipe.

mazzy1, Nov 18, 10:22am
I think you are needy. It's a recipe forum. Hopefully somebody will be motivated to try cooking something they read about on here. Who gives a toss where it comes from or who might have posted it first! If I am in need of information on something like 'pickled onions' I do a search for good ideas. If one of those ideas was plagiarised from 6 or 7 MB's back - I wouldn't care - I would just be happy to have found a recipe I can modify. You asked!

taurushat, Nov 18, 10:31am
Wow.Can't get over all the hype, no one owns a recipe .end of story!

bella430, Nov 18, 12:27pm
The point made in relation to Consumer reports is in quite a different league than copying recipes. davidt4 makes an assumption that everyone can afford to take out a subscription to that magazine. Well - I cannot and neither can many others. If I could afford to do so, I would not hesitate to share such information. The internet has made possible the instant sharing of such community resources, and complaining that it robs publishers of funds overlooks that whole point.

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:36pm
I think, based on my experience in the book world, that publishers will be rubbing their hands with glee every time the name of one of their books is mentioned here, with or without a copied recipe.

And Consumer has just had five dollars added to its coffers because of this forum.I don't think they'll be concerned about this particularly benign Open Source kind of sharing.

punkinthefirst, Nov 18, 10:04pm
Consumer Magazine is often available at your local library.

greerg, Nov 19, 8:11pm
Recipes have probably been circulating freely throughout communities throughout the ages.I have seen "special family" recipes on here that I have in my grandmother's1930s hand written cookbook and attributed there to people I have never heard of.I like the fact that TM recipes has replaced the myriad of places in which recipes were reglarly swapped, but which many of us no longer have time to attend. I am always pleased when someone asks for a recipe that I think is a good one, and I'm grateful to the people, many of whom are on here, who have done that for me. I hate to see a simple act of sharing made into a battleground. Lighten-up guys - life's too short!

rainrain1, Nov 19, 8:37pm
In other words, who gives a fat rats a**e ladies and gentlemen!

pickles7, Nov 19, 8:42pm
Beat Them Stiff. Could be a fun book.

uli, Nov 19, 8:58pm
obviously poster #1 does :)

elliehen, Nov 19, 9:54pm
Poster #1 asked the question.and got the answer.

Some do care, some don't care and some don't care either way :)

mazzy1, Nov 19, 10:58pm
Perhaps someone will post their original recipe for Rat's Arse Rissotto! I'd certainly give them credit for originality.

elliehen, Nov 19, 11:06pm
Ask Gino for his ;)

"Italian-born television chef Gino D'Acampo and UK soap star Stuart Manning have been arrested and charged with animal cruelty after killing a rat and serving it with risotto to fellow members of the cast of I'm a celebrity . get me out of here.

The show is set around a forested camp at Dungay, inland from Coolangatta."