Please give credit when credit due.

Page 2 / 4
seasiders, Nov 17, 12:37am
I like to hear who the recipe came from just out of interest. eg this was my nanas, or my dad used to make this for us as kids etc

skye7, Nov 17, 8:54am
I agree that original authors should be acknowledged. I think though posting some of the recipes can create a sale for the cook book. Last year someone posted Annabelle Langbein's Cloud Cake, this was the trigger that made me think "I have to have that cook book", since then I have purchased her Free Range, City and Best of, arguably had that recipe never been posted I would not have done the three purchases.

elliehen, Nov 17, 9:12am
That's a very good point.I am sure many cooks have seen a celebrity chef's recipe posted here and, on the strength of it, bought the book.

Publicity like that on a cooks' forum is a publisher's dream!

aktow, Nov 17, 9:49am
you got to be kidding,, can you tell me what new recipes annabelle or the others havewritten,, there is not a recipe book out there that has there own recipes, just about every thing you can name was invented hundreds of years ago,, just because a person might add another ingredient does not make that there recipe,, where did you get your recipes,, i bet you copied them from some one else. Nigellarecipes are not here own.so from now on you want people to say where there recipe came from. okay i made Béarnaise sauce tonight. thanksDuke Philippe De Mornay (1549-1623)

elliehen, Nov 17, 11:21am
Or you could have a food fight on your hands.At least three New Yorkers claimed to have invented Eggs Benedict - Lemuel Benedict, a retired Wall Street stock broker, Commodore E. C. Benedict, a banker and yachtsman, and one Mrs Le Grand Benedict whose living relatives still believe she is the one true inventor of the recipe!

maynard9, Nov 17, 9:00pm
I adore all the 'old' well loved recipes shared on this forum and when I copy them into my books I always put who the original poster was and it reminds me that it will be a 'goodie' as it was such n such who posted it.I almost feel like I know some of them - altho never met them (apart from Cooks at her gorgeous shop).
As I said above it is the requests for recipes from newsly published books that annoy me. The websites of these authors have a plentiful supply of 'free recipes' to give you an idea of whether this type of cook is for you. I think we should be supporting kiwi cooks and cookbooks.
Have a good day - off to make my Christmas Mince Pies.

elliehen, Nov 17, 10:16pm
.and New Zealanders are supporting them:

"Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Annabel Langbein - Free Range in the City - new title published as New Zealand sales of previous titles soar past the 150,000 mark"(sales online from fishpond, amazon, book depository etc not included in this figure)

.but I will continue to share and lend from my personal library.

Edited to add.Hope the mince pies turn out perfectly!

peasandlove, Nov 17, 11:10pm
I think Nigella does steal a lot of others recipes, I quite often find recipes on the net that were published well before hers

elliehen, Nov 17, 11:14pm
Ecclesiastes 1:9New International Version (NIV)

"What has been will be again,what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."

uli, Nov 18, 12:43am
Interesting to see that debate come up again LOL :)

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:48am
Perhaps you are remembering the ice-cream recipe you posted that you said you'd introduced to New Zealand from Germany over 25 years ago.

Caused quite a fuss as everyone pulled out their own version of the same thing ;)

uli, Nov 18, 12:51am
No I am talking about posting quite a few recipes here (as did others) which then miraculously appeared in 3 different cookbooks - and we had a HUGE debate about it all - long before your time ellie! You are still a newbie girl :)

But right from the start you caused trouble on these boards I must say - and with your last post you keep going as best as you can .

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:58am
Just adding to informed discussion from time to time, uli.Can't help it if that disturbs you ;)

cookessentials, Nov 18, 1:01am
I find it hilarious at what people find a "tad irritating" LOL.

cookessentials, Nov 18, 1:03am
so true.

cookessentials, Nov 18, 1:04am
“Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't.” Leo Buscalia.

buzzy110, Nov 18, 1:05am
Vindictive elli. As always. In fact uli said she had brought the recipe with her from Germany to demonstrate that it wasn't a NZ creation.

Jamie Oliver has the same recipe in one of his books. He said he learned it from his time in Italy. There they call it Semi-Freddo, which is what he called it.

The icon is a return btw.

elliehen, Nov 18, 1:06am
Maybe it's time for another group head bang ;)

elliehen, Nov 18, 1:16am
.unless they lighten up and learn from this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=3qdn4YBwIPo

buzzy110, Nov 18, 1:20am
Still vindictive elli.

elliehen, Nov 18, 1:21am
Go on.have a laugh!Laughing is good for you and is thymus-expanding :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=3qdn4YBwIPo

buzzy110, Nov 18, 1:45am
And now that your thymus has expanded perhaps we can get back to the original purpose of this thread.

I think that if a recipe comes from a book, no matter where the original came from, then it would be a nice thing to say so. If the recipe is one that was saved from here, then it would be nice to credit the original poster for their generosity in posting the recipe.

However, in the past we have had one or two people who just copied and pasted from the net, letting people believe that the recipe or the method was one they'd tried before and had success with and were passing on the benefit of their experience. I am now pleased to see that this is not so common anymore and that when something is 'imported', untried, from the net, posters are more than happy to attribute the source.

cookessentials, Nov 18, 1:50am
LOL so quick elliehen.

pickles7, Nov 18, 2:26am
Twat Rot.It was, Mornay sauce, he developed.

nfh1, Nov 18, 4:28am
Language pickles!Shocking.