Please give credit when credit due.

Page 1 / 4
gardie, Nov 15, 5:31pm
So often, I see recipes that others have posted reposted again as if they belonged to the new poster.This often happens with recipes from a book and many posters don't say whose recipe it is.I think it is good manners to say that you found it on here previously or that its a recipe from.or based on a recipe by.etc.Perhaps the most posted is hooksie's chocolate cake often giving hooksie no credit.

I wouldn't like to see my recipes plagiarized and am sure that Alison, Annabelle, Nigella and others wouldn't either.What do others think!

lythande1, Nov 15, 5:49pm
Come on, it's a forum, not a published cookbook.

griffo4, Nov 15, 7:24pm
l agree with you gardie and l do try to name the person who put up the recipe or l let people know it is not mine and that l have forgotten who posted it
l think the kind people who post their recipes should be given credit

lyl_guy, Nov 15, 7:54pm
This is true, and though I've only posted a few recipes here, I always say who's they are originally.BUT in saying that, it's amazing how many recipes are exact replicas of ones I see in different places, with different authors each time.An example is a lemon cake I see on here, which is thought of as a poster's recipe. yet I have the exact recipe that was torn from a magazine a few years ago and given to me by my MIL.So it's very hard to tell WHERE a recipe originated. I guess all we can say is that WE got it from "******".Reading through old books such as Claudia Roden and Elizabeth David shows me that many of the 'new' celeb cooks also have the same problem!

fifie, Nov 15, 7:55pm
Yep i agree to, see a few posted by others,and they are often on the internetGuess you get this on a public forum.

elliehen, Nov 15, 9:23pm
I also think the best we can do is give the source if we know it and say if we don't.

esther-anne, Nov 15, 10:51pm
Yes -I agree wholeheartedly that we should give the source where possible.

So - in the interests of good forumship I would like to thank KUAKA for providing her grandmother's simple but delicious recipe for lemon cheese/curd/honey whatever one likes to call it.We use it constantly when we have lots of lemons - husband can make it no problem.

duckmoon, Nov 15, 10:59pm
I agree. I know that i have posted receipes on here, only to have other posters re- post. Which is find, this is a forum for sharing of ideas and info.

But it doesn't take a minute to say " duck moon posted this recipe" or nigella or fife or whoever

beaker59, Nov 15, 11:25pm
We all get the same and do the same, well I do anyway because often I can't recall the origonal poster. I do sometimes get credited and thats nice but really its not like we are professionals who depend on our books for our livelyhood. I have also be falsely credited and if I spot that I will point out the error not everyone does but hey water off a ducks back I am here to learn and share not score points.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 11:47pm
Yes, it may be.however, as I have had this recipe in our family since the early 1980's, I do class it as "my" recipe. it certainly was not here in NZ way back then, so who knows.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 11:48pm
I certainly have no problem saying whose recipe it is and more often that not, go looking for it and then copy and paste it with the priginal posters post and date at the bottom as per the page i found it on.

player_smurf, Nov 16, 12:22am
I have the exact same 'family' recipe for lemon cake handed down from my grandmother, who if she was still alive would be the ripe old age of 100!Bless her soul. x

maynard9, Nov 16, 12:48am
Agree with all the above and I do try and stay 'calm' about it all but the thing that irritates me the most I think is when a new cookbook has only just recently been published and people are already asking for recipes from it.I think that is pretty rude.

It must be hard enough making the book priced so it will actually sell as it is. A lot of authors are already generous enough by putting several on their wesite - if people keep copying them onto forums like this there won't be much of the book left.I think if you like a particularl cook that much why not support them by buying the book for Pete's sake.

Annabel Langbein is a prime example of late.

buzzy110, Nov 16, 1:21am
Gulp*~. I see we agree on something. Asking for recipes from books newly published is just plain mean spirited, especially, when you analyse it, the 'asker' is fully expecting to get a recipe for free from someone who has paid good money to get the book and all of the recipes therein.

If you want a recipe then you should either buy the book or go and borrow the book from the library and not ask others to give away, for free, what they have spend a sizeable chunk of money paying for.

davidt4, Nov 16, 1:35am
I agree.Well said.

pickles7, Nov 16, 1:41am
I found one of my recipes on different sites, printed with an error in it. Same error. lol. lay claim to it if you wish. Not one person picked it up, the recipe conveniently, dropped off in here. But not in two other sites. Now we can edit, it is way better.

obsidianwings, Nov 16, 5:39am
To be honest its not something i've really thought about when posting recipes. If I was to repost someones recipe from here I would mention it, otherwise anything I post is a recipe that I have been doing for a long time, I wouldn't have a clue where they came from, but I have never claimed for it to be a recipe that I have made up. Sometimes I have adjusted them to my own taste though of course.

gardie, Nov 16, 6:05am
Call me mean but I won't post any recipes from her book for that reason.It cost me a lot of money to buy and I think that keen cooks should make the investment themselves.The other alternative is to borrow from the local library to see if its your cup of tea prior to buying.

And thanks to those who agree - its simply good manners and goodness knows how few and far between they are these days (forum or no forum!)

elliehen, Nov 16, 8:20am
I don't think you have to feel too sorry for the authors of cookbooks.Here's the latest Nielsen survey.Langbein and Holst are doing very nicely.In fact New Zealand has always been a country where cookbooks regularly outsell all other genres.

http://www.booksellers.co.nz/book-news/nzs-bestsellers/nielsen-weekly-bestsellers-list-week-ending-5-november-2011

nfh1, Nov 16, 8:25am
There are hundredsof recipes on Annabel Langbein's web site, if anyone is looking for anything specific, may be worth a look there.

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/

katalin2, Nov 16, 8:57am
Well said player smurf- obviously a popular recipe that has been doing the rounds for years. It is also an Alison Holst recipe word for word- and I also have the same recipe, word for word for Lemon Youghurt Cake in an old fundraising recipe book from the primary school my kids attended in the early 80's. While I find the repeated "my" lemon youghurt cake references a tad irritating, I had not made it until I came across it on MB. This also applies to the Magical Orange Cake posted by smiley cherub- it is also in the same recipe book, but I had not made it till seeing it here. These 2 cakes, plus mackenzies Banana Sourcream Cake are the ones I make most frequently these days.

deered, Nov 16, 7:06pm
A few years back my Mum was watching Nigella and found that Nigella had somehow managed to nick Mums 'old family secret recipie' for something - I don't remeber what, but it gave Mum a laugh.

katienz11, Nov 16, 7:18pm
But this is the nature of it and the beauty of it, recipes that people have come across from all over the place and passed on to others.I dont think there are many recipes that people 'own' these days - theyve come from different places and different times.Where one may have been in the family for a long time, and its claimed as their own - I think that is sweet, but way back then, that person would have got it from somewhere too.We have handwritten recipes in our family, e.g., Grandad's Xmas Cake - and I bet that is in someone elses cook book somewhere too.

Nice to acknowledge where a recipe has come from, but I dont think we can be terribly precious about it!

pickles7, Nov 16, 7:22pm
lol,you are right on the button.
I developed a "chili jam" I named it that because the texture was, jam like. I had no idea, a year later, Annabel Langbein, would put a recipe out and name it "chili jam".

davidt4, Nov 17, 12:24am
Another example of freeloading is the requests that crop up from time to time for Consumer Institute recommendations.Consumer NZ survives on subscriptions; they have no other income.It costs only $87 for a year's online membership which gives you access to a huge array of information.Why not subscribe!