Shortening for buttercream.

choklate, Nov 4, 12:11pm
Hi guys.was curious.I'm wanting to make buttercream like the American's use.Now they call for shortening, so I was wondering.Would vegetable shortening for deepfrying be okay!I'm planning to buy a 20kg box from Gilmours.Help.

gardie, Nov 4, 5:17pm
I'd probably use kremelta.Not sure of the taste of vegetable shortening - would need to try it first, especially if buying 20kgs.Wouldn't make such a good buttercream if it tasted oily.Whilst I'd 'try' kremelta' I believe butter is necessary for a good buttercream.Have you considered making some swiss meringue buttercream!You may be better off.

pickles7, Nov 4, 5:57pm
buy a box of butter, .buttercream!

michelle313, Nov 5, 11:45am
Kremelta is close but not the same as the shortening they use in the USA.It doesn't taste the same.It also doesn't have the same texture.

julz29, Nov 5, 8:03pm
There a shop in mt Wellington called mart has backyard you will find a product called crisco This is what I use for making frosting

julz29, Nov 5, 11:20pm
Martha's backyard

lilyfield, Nov 5, 11:29pm
crisco-- crystallized cotton seed oil (canola)
never knew that- what you learn from google!

uli, Nov 6, 12:44am
canola is made from rape seed
crisco is made from cotton seed

And for butter cream I would use fresh unsalted butter.
Anything else will not taste like butter cream but like the filling in those oreos .

choklate, Nov 6, 12:18pm
I am so sorry guys. I ended up buying the 20kgs of shortening.I just had to make the swiss style buttercream recipe that I came across.It was amazing. It used about a pound of butter and 6oz of shortening.Not very much.So I'm gonna have to lookup other American recipes that call for shortening.Mmmm, brownies.