Moved to aussie and having baking problems

beccy-bec, Oct 29, 2:21pm
We moved to WA at the beginning of the year and since being here i seem to be having heaps of trouble with my baking, everything seems to be coming out crumbly, i'm thinking it may be an issue with the flour as my cakes and scones were really crumbly with the cheap flour (self raising) and not as bad but still crumbly with the expensive brand flour. could the flour be the issue or have i just lost my touch lol

gardie, Oct 29, 5:31pm
Are you using the same measuring cups you have always!Some Australian measurements are slightly different eg their tablespoon is 20ml not 15.
Try getting high grade flour and adding your own baking powder - 1 heaped teaspoon per cup.
The climate is quite different and that does make a difference.
Make sure you buy butter that is pure butter and does not have water added.
Oven temperature makes a big difference - try testing baking for readiness a few minutes earlier.
A few things to look at - good luck.I'm sure your touch is just fine - its the ingredients that are the problem!

fifie, Oct 29, 7:27pm
You won't have lost your touch, every time i went to DD near townsville and tried to bake for her had much the same problem.We worked it out on days of high humiditynothing would cream up nicely, and as for making a pavalova that never happened, egg whites wouldn't even whip up.Keep trying but maybe on the cooler days.

taurushat, Oct 29, 9:55pm
I have never had a problem.as for making pavlova they turn out better than ever.When I make bread I use bread improver due to the lower quality flour here.

uli, Oct 29, 9:58pm
If the flour is lower grade all you have to do is add some gluten to it.

elliehen, Oct 29, 10:39pm
I lived in WA for two years and my baking was no different from everywhere else in the world I baked.

I'd suspect the oven.

kinna54, Oct 30, 1:36am
Ps in high humidity use glass or metal bowls to mix in not plastic. (My mum would never mix a pav or a sponge in anything but stainless bowl) and eggs from the fridge in warm climates.

emmapear, Oct 30, 1:50am
Hi.I'm in Perth Hills here and havent noticed any difference from NZ.so dont have anything to add really!

tahnasha, Oct 30, 5:20am
It's not humid in Perth is it!It's a dry heat!I'm in Queensland and never had any problems with baking.Maybe your oven!I use both Australian measuring cups and spoons and NZ ones and use an Edmonds cookbook, and don't have any problems.

elliehen, Oct 30, 5:24am
Hi to emmapear.in Kalamunda!I was in Forrestfield, down in the lowlands, although I went to lovely, leafy Kalamunda frequently.

emmapear, Oct 30, 10:05am
Hi I am in Kalamunda!

elliehen, Oct 30, 10:32am
Must go back there one day :)

Perth is so far away from here, and now with Qantas on strike I'm betting there'll be some very frustrated WA people stuck on the East coast.

beccy-bec, Oct 30, 12:32pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. I still use the same measures that i brought over from nz so all my equipment is all the same, it could be the oven actually as i've noticed that in the past 2 houses i've been in the oven only has fan bake and not regular bake.I will keep experimenting though and hopefully i'll solve the issues before my son's first birthday party

emmapear, Oct 30, 2:38pm
Yip my husband is meant to be flying back to Hedland for work on tuesday with qantas so hope its over soon.