Sauerkraut and other fermented veg

Page 2 / 4
moviebug, Oct 29, 4:45am
Great!Just the thread I need.I have a quick question about sauerkraut. I am making my first ever batch with red cabbage. I was given a huge red cabbage , and my question is about fermentation. From what I have read, the fermentation process begins in a few days.The cabbage is in a clear jar and making lots of what I would describe as air pockets throughout the layers; even though I packed the cabbage in really tight.I am not sure what fermentation in sauerkraut looks like. Could someone knowledgeable please describe what it lookslike please!I am worried in case I have used too much salt and it is not going to work. Many thanks in advance.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 4:52am
If you used the amount of salt that the recipe told you to then you'll be fine. There is some leeway and doesn't have to be precise. I'm not sure what you have done and can only guess, based on the assumption you have used a sterile jar and a sterile lid which you have screwed down as tight as possible and filled the jar almost to the top.

The bubbles you see forming will be connected to the fermentation. Secondly, some time in the first 3 or 4 days the fermenting liquid in the jar will expand because of gas and will seep out of the jar. If this is occuring then everything is well on track. After 3 or 4 days put your jar in the fridge and leave it for about 6 weeks. It will be edible from that time on. That is what I do anyway.

vmax2, Oct 29, 4:53am
Did you use just salt or did you use salt and whey!If using just salt then 2 Tbsp would be fine.Whey is quicker to ferment but it sounds like it's doing the job - lots of air bubbles.3 days on the bench should do it.It's important to pound it into the jar so that the juice covers the cabbage.Don't have the jar too full or it will ooze everywhere - about 1inch from the top.Good for you on your first jar!If at first you don't succeed try again.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 4:57am
Here is another recipe for making small quantitites of sauerkraut. It has a longer fermentation time out of refrigeration. My previous advice was connected to sauerkraut using whey which I usually make in small quantities otherwise I make normal sauerkraut in a sauerkraut crock and have no idea what happens inside that.

SAUERKRAUT
Making Small Amounts
Utensils and Hardware
2-quart standard canning jars in perfect condition (Holds about 3 1/3rd lbs of shredded cabbage)
Sterilise jars and lids by boiling for 10mins
Sterilise all utensils and mixing bowls by boiling for 10mins
Ingredients –
1 Cabbage
Non iodised salt – (iodised salt prevents the bacterial fermentation necessary to change cabbage to sauerkraut)
Method
1. Remove defective and coarse outer leave from the cabbage. (rids it of residual insecticide spray or dust) Cut away spoiled or damaged spots
2. Rinse head lightly in cold water to remove dust or visible dirt particles. Drain (The bacteria needed to ferment the cabbage are found on the cabbage leaves
3. Cut in halve or quarters and core. Slice or shredinto sterilised pan or bowl
4. Weight -. To every 3: 1/3rd lbs (1.67kg) of shredded cabbage add 2 Tblspns + 1 tspn salt (uniodised) and thoroughly mix into cabbage.
5. Let stand for 5 – 10 mins to wilt and begin to draw out juices
6. Pack cabbage firmly into jars, filling to the top. Press down firmly until juice runs out of the cabbage and covers it completely.
7. Put the sterilised lid on the jar just tightly enough to keep out air and set on a tray or in a pan to collect juice that may leak out during active fermentation.
8. Store jar at room temperature (68 – 72oF) until bubbling stops (about 2-3 weeks)
Note – Do not pour juice that bubbles out back into the jar
9. When bubbling stops check to be sure there is still enough liquid to cover the kraut.If not, replace the juice that has bubbled out with a boiling hot, weak brine – 2 Tblspns salt per quart (1.140litres)of water. Retighten the cover securely, wipe the outside of jar and store in a refrigerator or very cool place till used up.

moviebug, Oct 29, 5:03am
Thanks Buzzy 110 and vmax2. Yes, I did exactly what you have writtenBuzzy. Today the jar leaked, but I thought that this wasbecause I was inquisitive and turned it upside down so see whatwas happening. I wondered if everything was OK because there didn't seem to be any bubbling as such, ( a few bubbles on the surface) but the mixture did seem to be making lots of air pockets. vmax2 I used non iodised salt. The mixture does seem to be making more liquid, so maybe I usedtoo small a container.i didn't know you could use whey. I enjoy experimenting, so would I use whey from milk, or did you mean something else!Many thanks to you both.

vmax2, Oct 29, 5:06am
Whey from cheesemaking or strained yoghurt.My motto if it tastes good, eat it.

moviebug, Oct 29, 5:09am
Thanks Buzzy 110. I picked up your recipe as I posted my last reply. It was good of you to write out the process. I am off to babysit my grand daughter, but wanted to say I appreciated your replies.I'll let you know how things pan out. Good idea about the fridge.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 5:10am
To make whey all you need to do is buy a pottle of commercially made, unsweetened yoghurt that was made with living culture and tip it into a sieve that has been lined with a sheet of handitowel and placed over a bowl. Put it in the fridge and in the morning the whey will have separated out leaving you with a delicious 'cheese'/'labnah/e-
tc. Mix that up with chives, or whatever and eat. The clearish liquid is whey. It is full of live culture to use as a starter when making fermented vegetables.

I sometimes make a starter just by whizzing up celery and water and using immediately.

moviebug, Oct 29, 5:11am
vmax2I am looking forward to making decent sauerkraut.Thanks.

buzzy110, Oct 29, 5:11am
You would not have not used enough liquid. Usually fresh cabbage will make enough liquid to fully immerse itself when chopped up and mixed with salt.

vmax2, Oct 29, 5:16am
I do find when using red cabbage it takes more pounding to get enough liquid.A little bit of water and salt can be added to cover.

uli, Oct 29, 7:49am
I used to do that too - but now I just buy one of the yoghurt maker "Greek Yoghurt" bags and make it fresh in a polystyrene box. So next morning I have absolutely fresh yoghurt with very alive bacteria. This I then tip into a sieve lined with mutton cloth or a (unused) nappy and let it drain. The whey you get is teeming with very alive lactic acid bacteria and if you use a table spoon of that mixed into your shredded and pounded cabbage you will have instant fermentation happening.

moviebug, Oct 29, 8:59am
Thank you everyone. Would the whey from making buttercount!

uli, Oct 29, 9:49pm
If it was cultured butter yes - if it is made by fresh cream no.

vmax2, Oct 29, 10:35pm
How do you make cultured butter uli - or will I have to wait till my book arrives.Can't wait.

uli, Oct 29, 11:33pm
Well it is easy really: ring Hansens and tell them you'd like to make cultured butter. They will supply the culture and all you have to do is culture the cream until it is slightly sour, then whip it into butter. it takes much longer for soured cream to "butter up", but it is well worth the effort. In a pinch you can use a yoghurt culture for your cream and see if you like it :)

http://www.chr-hansen.com/products.html

buzzy110, Oct 30, 12:24am
I agree with making your own yoghurt. I now buy raw milk and use a commercial culture to make mine. I bought an electric Fromage Maker for $5 from the local Chinese market. It keeps the yoghurt at just the right temperature for 24 hours. My commercial culture does not have the bifidus strain in it, which is brilliant because Elaine Gottschall specifically advises against it in her book "Break the Vicious Cycle". And on top of that, the bacteria is at its very freshest and strongest.

vmax2, Oct 30, 12:25am
Uli you're amazing - I've never heard of hansens.Do you get all your cheese cultures from there!Can I order online as I don't live in Auckland!There was no prices on the website - how does it compare tocultures from other places!Was desperate for more cultures the other day and got some from Binn Inn - Millie May stuff.Thought it was quite expensive for just a little bit.

davidt4, Oct 30, 12:28am
You could also culture the cream with buttermilk.

vmax2, Oct 30, 12:29am
Buzzy I just put my yoghurt in a chilly bin wrapped in towels and give it a hottie - tuck it up for the night.It keeps it just right.I just use a tsp of my previous batch of yoghurt as the starter for my next lot.My original starter is a container of yoghurt from the supermarket - clearwaters organic - a Canterbury farm.

pickles7, Oct 30, 1:25am
oooops posted the pic's by mistake.Same sort of thing , won't hurt.

uli, Oct 30, 2:25am
I don't think you can order small quantities (they are wholesale) - so you'd be better off to order a packet from millies which (most likely) buy it from hansens and repack if you just want a small amount.

I usually simply ring them and ask for advice. Sometimes I have to buy 500g of freeze dried culture which is a supply for many years. I just put the granules into the deep freeze and they do last for many years. I simply get out 5 or 10 granules for my milk and keep the rest in the freezer.

I don't think you can buy that sort of thing in Bin Inn. At least not up here. They not only have cheese cultures they have pretty much anything that you might ever need including probiotics.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 30, 3:17am
Vmax - you have email! Update - email has been bounced back - I'l try again later.

pickles7, Oct 30, 6:54am
I saw Pro Biotic Yogurt culture's, and cheese making kits being discounted, at Bin Inn, the other day

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:24am
I agree with making your own yoghurt. I now buy raw milk and use a commercial culture to make mine. I bought an electric Fromage Maker for $5 from the local Chinese market. It keeps the yoghurt at just the right temperature for 24 hours. My commercial culture does not have the bifidus strain in it, which is brilliant because Elaine Gottschall specifically advises against it in her book "Break the Vicious Cycle". And on top of that, the bacteria is at its very freshest and strongest.

Not everyone does what we do which is why I suggest using commercial yoghurt to get whey.