Bumble Bee Recipe!

kay141, Jun 23, 8:00am
I used to make them as a child, as far as I can remember, they were a tin of condensed milk, coconut and sultanas. They were rolled into a small sausage shape. I remember watching them carefully as they burnt easily. Not so easy to control the temperature in a coal range. I did make them for my children but haven't for years. I now thoroughly dislike the taste and smell of coconut.

elliehen, Jun 23, 10:23am
They need a very low heat.And yes, there seems to be coconut in everything - it has such a strong flavour, it takes over.

kay141, Jun 23, 10:10pm
It does seem to be everywhere and not only in food along with vanilla. Shampoos, lotions and even candles. Advertised as "smelling like a tropical island". I wonder which one! Most of them don't smell like that.

pam.delilah, Jun 24, 5:55am
this is my recipe from way back
bumble bees
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
2 c mixed fruit
2 c coconut
Mix well together and form into balls.
Preheat oven to 180C then turn off.
Places balls in oven and leave for 30 minutes or until firm.

elliehen, Jun 24, 5:58am
x1
I like this idea.that would stop them from burning, which is the chief trap when making Bumblebees.

rozie4, Sep 27, 12:38am
Does anyone know the recipe for these rolled balls that my Grandmother ,but can only remember that they may have dates and coconut in them!

cookessentials, Sep 27, 12:42am
I am pretty sure that elliehen put up a recipe on one of the threads just recently. I have a recipe, but it's at home. Mine has apricots, crystalised ginger,coconut, biscuits crushed, condensed milk etc.

harrislucinda, Sep 27, 1:03am
myrecipeforthoseis1tincondensedmilk1cup coconut
1tlspcocoa1/2cup raisins1/2cup walnuts1/2lbswinebiscuits
1/2cup choppeddates1/2cup sultanas
boiltinfor3hrsto carmaliesCOOLbeforeopening
mixingredthenintoaballsrollin coconut

elliehen, Sep 27, 2:42am
I posted these recently as 'Hedgehogs' which others quickly pointed out they weren't!The recipe is on an old handwritten piece of paper and I have confirmed that they are indeed bumblebees :)

BUMBLEBEES

one tin sweetened condensed milk
one cup coconut
enough dried fruits to make a firm mixture
1/2 cup figs, chopped
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 packet crystallised ginger, chopped
1/2 packet cherries, chopped

Roll little 'sausages' in coconut and bake in a very slow oven (140*C) until they are set but not brown.

nik12, Sep 27, 6:55am
My very old bumble bee recipe i make every xmas similar to #2.
In a fairly large saucepan beat a small cup sugar and 1 egg together till thick and fluffy.Add 5 ozs melted butter and a teaspoon vanilla essence, pinch salt, mix well. Add 11/2 cups chopped dates, bring to the boil and boil only 3 minutes. ( stirring all the time as it will stick and burn easily.) Take off the heat and add 4 cups of rice bubbles mixing in well. When thick and cool roll into sausage like little rolls shape like a bumble bee toss in coconut place in fridge to set. These are almost caramelly to taste a little chewey and all the kids love them.
That's from fifie, in reply to my same question last year search bumble bee, in the last year over to the left to find the thead there were some other recipe's as well.I made this one, it was delicious!Don't try and roll while still to hot though, I doubled it - also not a good idea first time up.Another lovely poster suggested chopping the dates with sissors which is a MUCH better idea than trying to use your wizz.