Welsh Rarebit - anyone have a great recipe!

Page 2 / 3
cookessentials, Sep 12, 9:16am
yes, it is.perhaps try another tack. never mind, you cant always get it right.

nfh1, Sep 12, 10:19am
I bet you are so pleased you asked now!

elliehen, Sep 12, 11:18am
I'll bet the 'OTT urge' dissipated the further down the page bluetigerr scrolled ;)

cookessentials, Sep 12, 6:46pm
#1 will be fine up to about post #7. I love Lancashire hotpot elliehen. The Welsh cottage link I gave above has some nice recipes on it too.

rainrain1, Sep 12, 7:36pm
It was the first thing I ever made for school cooking, and i still remember the taste.I haven't eaten it since, but must give it a try when I find a recipe which appeals

pickles7, Sep 12, 8:16pm
well then , what did you make!

We were being taught how to make a roux.In the time frame, Welsh Rabbit, fitted nicely. The cayenne pepper was sprinkled on top, you ate it with your eyes first, then your taste buds got that zing. For us it was very exciting. Our next dish was, Oakhill Potatoes.
We could have feed the whole school with, cream "n" cheese on taost.

pickles7, Sep 12, 8:23pm
Reminds me of some of my threads. lol.

the" roo " one was good,
Duty calls.

rainrain1, Sep 12, 8:42pm
What did I make!Give us a chance, I haven't made all the beds and hung out the washing yet :-)
Must look through daughters old school recipe book, there could be a welsh rarebit in there

sarahb5, Sep 12, 9:03pm
I've never come across a Welsh rarebit recipe that involved making a roux - we made cauliflower cheese at school to learn how to make a roux - and never had one that added flour, etc. although like I said dad used to "cook" his and used beer if he had any to mix it but definitely didn't add flour or cayenne pepper - doubt they would've known much about cayenne pepper in Wales before about 1970 but would've had mustard to hand.I like to think his recipe was fairly close to authentic since he was English and had many Welsh friends.My quick version of Welsh rarebit actually comes from The Dairy Cook Book available from the milkman in the UK!

And as far as authentic goes if I am cooking something from a different country then I do try and make it as traditional or close to the original recipe as I can find, ie. I wouldn't put tasty cheese in Greek salad or tinned salmon in Salade Nicoise.

nfh1, Sep 12, 9:17pm
I did not know that - like an early slow cooker.I don't remember having Hotpot much as a child, Mum did not like lamb - I think it was quite a greasy meat then.I don't have lamb because I cannot disassociate the fluffy babies jumping in the fields to the meal!

cookessentials, Sep 12, 9:20pm
You are correct, you dont make a roux for Welsh Rarebit. You make a roux for a white sauce(bechamel sauce etc)
Yep, I think that's where my Mum got her recipe.it was always the cream off the top of the mil, mustard, grated cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Takes fantastic and makes a quick and easy snack.

marywea, Sep 12, 9:51pm
If you have an Edmonds recipe book that is about 45 years old, look at page 77 for the Welsh Rarebit. I recall that it was very rich so can understand why a little roux was used, would also bulk it up a bit making it go further.

sarahb5, Sep 12, 9:59pm
It certainly does - we didn't have cream on our milk though - being a city family we had sterilised milk (probably why I hated it - tastes like UHT)

nfh1, Sep 12, 10:02pm
My parents still have cream on the top of their milk, about the top couple of inches.The only difference is that the bottle now carries a warning about the contents - my Mum and Dad are both aged 81.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 10:03pm
Yep, agree.nothing wrong with full cream milk. Cant abide that green stuff, it's like coloured water LOL.

elliehen, Sep 12, 11:15pm
I remember that infamous 'roo' thread, pickles.

You were hung, drawn and quartered by poster #8 ;)

elliehen, Sep 12, 11:30pm
rabbit/rarebit.hanged/hung

Take your pick - both are in the vernacular ;)

pickles7, Sep 13, 12:03am
And by a lot of others.
It never bothered me, I had to give them something they could really get there teeth into, lol.
Name calling is a sign of a persons " insecurities" .
We are suposed to be teaching, our younger folk, name calling, is not exceptable. I feel for some families. it starts with Mum & Dad and Nana's & Grandfather's.
I am very secure, We having owned, and operated; a Fast food business, Home Bakery, and, Restaurant.I am well done with all aspects of cooking.
On the low side. letting a person go, for not being able to, butter bread.
On the high.we don't have to worry about, anything.
A Chef's work is HARD, the hours sucked, I loved every day of my working life. We retired early to a life style property, lol, even more work. No staff there.

elliehen, Sep 13, 12:10am
Your ability to shrug it off is impressive.

I think you even forgave the busybee poster for describing you as 'pickled' ;)

pickles7, Sep 13, 12:14am
I truly am not bothered. It would bother me if my business gave me all day to play on here for sure. Always dusting cleaning to do.off to bowls,.yaMy team won last week.

elliehen, Sep 13, 12:18am
Good luck!Play well :)

bluetigerrr, Sep 13, 12:52am
Where I live is freezing at the moment and in the weekend, I had this OTT urge to make Welsh Rarebit. But again . no recipes from home (which are always the best by far in my humble experience ;) Does anyone have a good recipe they've made and relish!

sarahb5, Sep 13, 2:02am
That's how my dad used to make it - seems a bit of a palaver for the same taste as the simplified version I make now

cookessentials, Sep 13, 2:04am
Yep, Mum used to make it for us after school, usually with the cream off the top of the milk, cheese,mustard and Worcestershire sauce. You can add thin slices of tomato to the top as well if you like. I love it in Wintertime, on it's own or with hot soup.

otterhound, Sep 13, 2:33am
And it doesn't need to be Welsh beer either!Plain ole Kiwi stuff will do nicely=)