THE MOST AMAZING AIOLI EVER!

Page 2 / 7
elliehen, Sep 10, 12:37am
OP korie's first ever post in Recipes.possibly her last ;)

sarahb5, Sep 10, 1:45am
French dressing uses vinegar but mayo is basically egg and olive oil with seasoning and a little lemon juice

kizzier, Sep 10, 1:50am
Wow, way to pick someone apart! Didn't see the need for you guys to jump on kories post like that.I for one appreciate the recipe as I cannot have raw eggs because I am pregnant.

So thank you OP, I will be sure to try it! And I may even eat it with hot chips, how I love it.instead of crudites! ;)

buzzy110, Sep 10, 2:06am
I see. Maybe OP would feel flattered that rather than her thread disappearing through lack of interest others have felt the wonderful urge to engage in conversation about aioli and give their versions as well. Surely that is what conversation is all about. We are all different and have different points of view and just because others have a different way of making aioli, it doesn't mean that anyone was getting at the op.

cookessentials, Sep 10, 2:20am
Perhaps that is the way some "converse" around here.

kizzier, Sep 10, 2:44am
buzzy110 and cookessentials, I was not implying either of you in any way.

cookessentials, Sep 10, 2:46am
I know, I agree with you kizzier.its a shame when others cannot just help themselves.

kizzier, Sep 10, 2:48am
Yep! Doesnt matter to me whether you wanna call it aioli, or pasta with mushrooms and bacon a carbonara.it doesnt matter sometimes what the 'traditional' recipe is.sometimes it just pays to say thanks.or in this place, click the x. Just dont see the need to bring people down, unnecessarily, personally.

davidt4, Sep 10, 2:57am
It does matter.For example if someone was dairy-free or lactose intolerant they would be entitled to expect something called "Aioli" to be dairy-free.I don't eat sugar or sweeteners and I would not expect something called "Aioli" to contain supermarket fake mayo, which is usually sweetened in some way.

Perhaps someone could suggest a new name for the garlic, yoghurt and fake mayo recipe given by the original poster.It could become famous!

kizzier, Sep 10, 3:00am
While I get what you are saying, I just really don't think it is a big deal. She was just giving a recipe for something she knew was good, and called it aioli as that is what it is a cheats version of. You could all clearly see the ingredients so there is no issue of things being intolerable really, because it is all layed out there for you to choose if you want to make it.
Anyway, I just felt sorry for the OP sharing a recipe and the thread going the way it did, that's all.

cookessentials, Sep 10, 3:17am
I agree wholeheartedly with you there. it does happen alot on here with particular posters.what they fail to realise that it can be very off putting for the OP, especially if they are made to feel not so "expert" a cook as others (well, those who think they are above others anyway) and this seems to be one of the common problems that a number of us have mentioned to these posters from time to time.however, it falls on deaf ears or they are ridiculed for saying so.

hestia, Sep 10, 4:25am
Dip.

michellew2k, Sep 10, 4:59am
What is the problem! the recipe clearly listed the ingredients!

elliehen, Sep 10, 5:31am
The problem!That some people like to think they are the fount of all knowledge ;)

Having had my interest in aioli sparked by this thread, I went to check out possible variations.and look how many there are!

"Aioli (play /aɪˈoʊli/; Provençal Occitan: alhòli, IPA: [aˈʎɔli];[1] Catalan: allioli, IPA: [ˌaʎiˈɔɫi]) is a garlic mayonnaise. It is a traditional sauce made of garlic, olive oil, and (typically) egg. There are many variations, such as the addition of mustard or, in Catalonia, pears. It is usually served at room temperature. The name aioli (alhòli) comes from Provençal alh 'garlic' (< Latin allium) + òli 'oil' (< Latin oleum).

Aioli is, like mayonnaise, an emulsion or a suspension of small globules of oil and oil soluble compounds in water and water soluble compounds. Egg yolk can be used as an emulsifier and is generally used in making aioli. However, mustard and garlic both have emulsion-producing properties and some variants (such as Catalan Allioli) omit the egg.

Generally, egg yolks, garlic and Dijon mustard (if adding this as a common variation on the basic aioli) are combined first with a whisk, then the oil and the lemon juice are added slowly with whisking to create the emulsion. The additions of the dissimilar ingredients must be slow to start and then can be faster once the initial emulsion has formed.

Many restaurants refer to any flavoured mayonnaise as an aioli. This is an incorrect definition unless the resulting sauce includes garlic.

In Occitan cuisine, aioli is traditionally served with seafood, fish soup, and croutons, in a dish called merluça amb alhòli. In Malta, arjoli or ajjoli is commonly made with the addition of either crushed galletti or tomato. In the Occitan Valleys of Italy it is served with potatoesboiled with salt and bay laurel.

In Provence, aioli (or more formally, Le Grand Aïoli) also designates a complete dish consisting of various boiled vegetables (usually carrots, potatoes, and green beans), boiled fish (normally, desalted salt cod), and boiled eggs served with the aioli sauce."

So raise your glass to korie, the original poster!She has added her original ideas to the body of knowledge which is AIOLI.

michellew2k, Sep 10, 5:42am
I think you are coming across as a bit anal. Who cares what the "definition" is! Arent you being a hypocrite with your posts!

People can choose if they want to try her recipe.

elliehen, Sep 10, 5:56am
michellew2K.that's my point!

I don't believe in 'authentic' or the idea that there is a one-and-only way.I posted that wiki blah blah blurb to illustrate that there are many different interpretations of aioli, and korie's is one of many.

I applaud her recipe!

sarahb5, Sep 10, 9:44am
Well I'm a complete traditionalist and won't deny it - of course there's room for variation but don't call it something it's not.I wasn't slating the idea of OP's aioli variation but its more a garlic dressing than "traditional" aioli in my view (and yeah I am European so maybe that's why!)

uli, Sep 11, 12:52am
Well I do actually. If you travel to Greece or Turkey or any other country and eat there - and then see the recipes of those dishes in an English version - well it doesn't taste the same at all.

So if you want to re-create the taste sensation then you need an "authentic" recipe. Otherwise it is just whatever you feel like to call "aioli" for example - but it has nothing to do with what you ate there and then - where that recipe was developed - maybe hundreds of years ago.

I well remember sailing (actually motoring most of the way by the time I entered the myriad of waterways into the harbour - of course in the middle of the night too) into Mahon - home of the "Mahonnaisa" (bad translation I know). Anything you buy here has nothing to do whatsoever with what the Spanish people mixed up there - at the home of the mayo.

So why not use "authentic" recipes - if the locals are even willing to part with them LOL :)

korie, Sep 13, 5:10am
Yummy sounding mayo recipe above may have to try it.Do greek yogurt and natural yogurt taste more or less the same!

korie, Sep 13, 5:15am
If you don't want to make the original I put up, no one's got a gun to your head.

Thanks for the support everyone else, I've had nothing but praise for it!

(PS - try adding a little fresh mint / basil / whatever tickles your fancy - isn't great cooking about experimentation!)

elliehen, Sep 13, 5:57am
Brave of you to come back korie!

I absolutely agree.Support for that view came recently from a top chef I heard speak recently - Anthony Bourdain.

Recipes are constantly evolving with use, just as language is.Creators and innovators keep the world moving forward.The Greek philosopher Heraclitus told us 2500 years ago that the only constant is change.

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man."

uli, Sep 13, 6:28am
Korie - while I really like you - what you posted up there has nothing to do with aioli - and that is WHY a lot of posters have posted what they felt about your recipe.

It doesn't say it is BAD or shouldn't be done - quite the opposite - and as I said before I do a similar recipe for some of my salads - but it is not what the locals in Spain would call "Aioli".

So yeah - some will make it and some will not - AND it is NOT Aioli :)

Good luck with your cooking and the naming of recipes.

elliehen, Sep 13, 6:45am
By that reasoning,then neither is the Boliche on your Low Carb cooking website eligible to be called 'Boliche'.

A tweak is a tweak is a tweak, whether it's to make an 'authentic' recipe low carb, to make it suit special dietary requirements or to make it quick and easy.

cookessentials, Sep 13, 7:48am
The only posters that pulled it to bits are the usual ones who just cannot help themselves. I why is it always the same few who behave this way!

sultana0, Sep 13, 8:56am
davidt4

I like your recipe, works great!. I add ginger, garlic, honey and mustard powder and call that aoli haha