THE MOST AMAZING AIOLI EVER!

Page 1 / 7
korie, Sep 7, 5:38am
Equal parts mayo and greek yogurt (Pam's mayo from PaknSave is my fave)
+
However much garlic you like - fresh is best, grated or finely chopped
+
Squeeze of lime juice
+
Pinch or two of black pepper

Mix it up & refrigerate.Greek yogurt makes it a bit healthier, and the longer it sits the more garlicky it gets so if you want it straight away put more garlic in.

Sooooo freaking tasty it's amazing, you'll just want to eat it by itself I know I do hehehe

sarahb5, Sep 7, 9:58am
I wouldn't think greek yoghurt is any healthier or lower fat than mayonnaise to be honest - aioli is easy enough to make at home anyway, if you can make mayo you can make aioli which is just basically garlic mayo anyway - but yes in Europe aioli is eaten as a dip with crudites .

beaker59, Sep 7, 8:54pm
Yogurt would have to be lower fat but in that blend though not by a lot I guess, also the microbiotics in the yogurt are good for your digestive system. So technically she is correct the yogurt does make it healthier :)

Korie have a go at making your own Mayo its extrordinarily easy and cheap as. Particularly with a food processor or stick blender.

Sounds yum may try it one day.

sarahb5, Sep 7, 8:56pm
Most of the Greek yoghurt pottles I've seen in the supermarket are microbiotic, or acidophilus and full of sugar and gelative as well - you really can't beat the real deal freshly made as far as aioli is concerned although Kato in the jar is pretty good

Try this one:http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/egg-recipes/aioli-1

davidt4, Sep 7, 9:13pm
That's more like it, although I would use more garlic than he does.The sauce described in post #1 might be tasty but it's not aoli.

davidt4, Sep 7, 9:31pm
Or aioli!

sarahb5, Sep 7, 9:46pm
And I meant "aren't" microbiotic, etc. and gelatine above as well!

I'd use more garlic as well although if you use too much it is actually "hot" rather than just extra garlicky especially because its usually something you'd make in advance - flavour gets stronger obviously the longer you leave it

uli, Sep 7, 10:23pm
I use this all the time for celeriac salad, egg salads or any other lovely salad that needs a "mayo". I use the locally made Greek yoghurt from Mahoe and make my own mayo with lots of garlic.

sarahb5, Sep 7, 10:34pm
And I do the same - except I don't use Greek because most of what's sold in the shops as Greek has too much sugar and gelatine in it.I use unsweetened natural yoghurt and mayo for potato salad, add curry paste to it for chicken salad, etc. but wouldn't call it aioli because its just not the same

bedazzledjewels, Sep 7, 10:49pm
Still trying to track down Mahoe yoghurt in Auck. They list their stockists but no-one ever seems to have any when I visit.

uli, Sep 7, 11:56pm
No they won't have any yoghurt - because all the fresh stuff is only sold in Northland :) why! Because it is fresh and has no artificial long shelf-life enhancers in it!

Fresh products - Available in Northland only:
http://www.mahoecheese.co.nz/our_products.htmlSo if you want any then you will have to come North and buy it here: Northland outlets: http://www.mahoecheese.co.nz/outlets.html

davidt4, Sep 8, 12:31am
I sometimes see it at New World Victoria Park, and Huckleberry Farms sometimes has it too.

tarshlove, Sep 8, 12:37am
Can you post a recipe for mayo please

davidt4, Sep 8, 12:48am
Mayonnaise (basic)

3 egg yolks
300 ml extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 - 2 lemons
salt
freshly ground pepper (preferably white)

All ingredients need to be at room temperature.

Whisk the egg yolks (use a hand whisk, or an electric whisk or a small food processor) until well blended and starting to thicken.Very gradually trickle in the oil, keep whisking and when you have added about a third of the oil it should be starting to thicken.As it thickens you can increase the rate at which you add the oil.

When it gets very thick add the juice of one lemon, this will thin it down.Add salt and pepper, continue to add the oil until you have a very thick mayonnaise.

Taste and adjust with more seasoning or lemon juice if it needs it.If it tastes too eggy it needs more salt.

You can vary this basic mayo by adding Dijon mustard or fresh garlic, chopped herbs, chopped capers, gherkins or anchovies.

sarahb5, Sep 8, 12:49am
Try the Jamie Oliver one for aioli and leave out the garlic

beaker59, Sep 8, 3:19am
I don't use a recipe really thought the one posted above is a good one. Generally I throw 2 eggs into my food processor then while stirring slowly dribble in oil (generally canola or olive or a blend) until it turns into mayo then add lemon juice.

I make my own yogurt from whole milk and a culture I have been keeping for a while so definately Microbiotic mine isn't greek though most plain greek in the supermarket is good in my opinion.

buzzy110, Sep 8, 4:17am
It is quite easy to make a Greek style yoghurt/strained yoghurt/labneh from plain yoghurt. Method - Hang a sieve over a bowl and put a paper towel into it. Tip a whole carton of plain, unsweetened, still living yoghurt. Put into the fridge overnight. The whey will separate out and drip into the bowl. Use the whey in cooking, smoothie or just drink it. It is very nice. The solids that are left are a type of Greek yoghurt/strained yoghurt/yoghurt cheese/labneh.

Cyclops makes a beautiful organic Greek style yoghurt from evaporated milk. It comes in the pottle with the green lid. This is not strained at all, just naturally thick.

Actually I think it is a Greek yoghurt but I've also seen it called other things in here - yoghurt cheese and labneh spring to mind.

elliehen, Sep 8, 4:38am

buzzy110, Sep 8, 5:37am

elliehen, Sep 8, 7:34am
Echo!

stjimmy, Sep 9, 9:10pm
Excuse my potential ignorance, but to me that recipe appears to be for aioli with the lemon juice added for flavour and to help preserve the mix. I thought that mayonnaise normally has vinegar in it. Have you substituted lemon juice for vinegar in this recipe!

Either way, it sounds really tasty, so thanks! :)

davidt4, Sep 9, 10:44pm
Real mayonnaise is almost always acidified with lemon juice.Maybe you are confusing it with the salad dressing that some people make with sweetened condensed milk!That has a lot of vinegar in it.

cookessentials, Sep 9, 11:52pm
You are quite correct, there are many mayonnaise recipes (traditional) with vinegar in them, as per the Alton Brown recipe below.
1 egg yolk*
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

Directions

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

cookessentials, Sep 9, 11:54pm
* Raw Eggs

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

A shame that someones delight in their own idea of aioli has been picked to death. If you like it, eat it and dont worrry too much about how pedantic others can be over a recipe! #1, it sounds very nice and I LOVE garlic, so would suit me down to the ground.

davidt4, Sep 10, 12:32am
Dazz I spotted some Mahoe yoghurt yesterday in Harvest, West Lynn,