Fruit cake recipe using 4 ingredients

Page 3 / 4
rainrain1, Mar 19, 2:45am
There are plenty of fruit cakes in recipes without having to make one!

senj, Mar 19, 3:31am
Used brandy, whew dont light a match but very nice.
I felt it needed more flour or maybe I used too big a tin! who knows, who cares I shall just have to try again.

jessie981, Mar 19, 4:06am
Are you saying we're all nuts in here!!

duckmoon, Mar 19, 8:23pm
how did the cake go. YUM

barloo, Mar 19, 10:35pm
Oks,my recommendations on this one.

I would use about 700 - 800g fruit and cover with baking powder to prevent burning of fruit.

I would also lower the oven temp too down to 150 - 160c

pour in, like not likely with my mix! It was very thick on fruit and not much cake batter!

But looks nice so awaits it to cool off so we can try:)

jessie981, Mar 19, 10:58pm
barloo, I have fruit soaking. Do use sprinkle the b/powder over while the fruit is soaking!

barloo, Mar 19, 11:57pm
jessie981

Nope, add it with the flour and spice. (mixed together)

Oks, had a taste and would use say 700g dried fruit as this one using 1kg has too much fruit (even thou I LOVE sultanas)

I would also cook it in a 20cm tin, as I did it in one made out to about 27cm and it was a bit too thin.

I will cook again with paper sitting on top to stop the burning and the above notes I have posted.

Remember each oven is different so thats how I will do mine.

jessie981 let us know who yours goes! :)

senj, Mar 20, 5:29am
The kids demolished mine today, but they dont know that I stashed some in the freezer.
Yes every oven is different, I cooked mine at 160 deg for about 1-45min and it was bang on except being a bit thin, so will add more flour next time and there will be a next time.

jessie981, Mar 20, 7:57am
barloo just realised my fruit is only 400gr packet. Have taken some of the liquid out (used coffee as cake is for a diabetis & though fruit juice may be a 'no no') So guess I use only half the recipe! got a feeling tis cake is going to be a flop!

barloo, Mar 20, 8:22am
mmmm

How did the mix feel jessie981! I would think it would be fine, just more "cake" and less fruit.

Whats the outcome!

barloo, Mar 20, 8:44am
awaits your post late morning then! Then the next post after your taste test:)

barloo, Mar 20, 8:48am
.* Quote sharrs .
have made it many times, especially good when the cupboard it looking bare as it doesn't need butter or eggs.
COCONUT LOAF
In a bowl mix together
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp bp,
1.5 cups coconut,
1 cup sugar,
1.5 cups milk,
1 tsp vanilla essence.
I often add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder for a change.
Bake at 160-170 deg C for an hour or so.

.-

Now this looks like another goodie!

hehehehe

I too have frozen down some sultana loaf for the lunchbox!

barloo, Mar 20, 8:50pm
How was it! Nice with and without lemon icing!

jessie981, Mar 20, 9:00pm
wnet to the supermarket @ 7 & got another 400gr pkt fruit. Going to bake later in the morning so new fruit has had time to soak.

creeky1, Mar 21, 4:30am
i made one with mixed dried fruit for christmas. reduced the amount of orange juice and added brandy. very yummy. Have another in the freezer with dried apricots, sultana's and glazed cherries.

jessie981, Mar 21, 4:45am
Cake made & delivered. Just about didn't happen as I decided to put vanilla essence in & picked up the bottle of Bisto gravy colouring. Felt it was more a loaf rather than cake texture when cooked.

barloo, Mar 25, 9:21am
Bumping as this is SOO nice and easy to make!

duckmoon, Mar 25, 9:28am
I have some in the cupboard, which I have forgotten about. Going to eat some now.

Good thing that hubby isn't home, otherwise he would be eating it too!

upsizeme, Mar 25, 12:59pm
If you are doing the coffee one, what spice would you recommend!

barloo, Apr 7, 9:13am
upsizeme

go for the spice you like!

each time you make one, change and see what you like best and let us know:)

kay141, Aug 2, 7:50am
Found it so it is now bumped.

I haven't made it for ages but did find it was fruit held together with a little batter. Next time, maybe some more liquid and flour.

bo0tsey, Aug 2, 8:28am
Thanks, no egg too! interesting, will definitely give it a try for FIL

donna23, Aug 2, 7:57pm
4 ingredient cake is also lovely made using a fruity tea as liquid, Iuse 2/3 flavoured t bags made up to 2c liquid to soak dried fruit in - delicious.

lx4000, Aug 17, 10:25am
oks, Its Bump to the top again as I have just made the coconut loaf again and its soo good with lemon zest and the juice added! One I added sultanas in also:)

(barloo)

madison15, Aug 18, 7:03am
Updated recipe section funded by the Diabetes Foundation.

Special Fruit Cake

It contains no butter, sugar or salt - a great way for everyone to celebrate Christmas!

•1 kg mixed dried fruit
•1/2 cup boiling water
•1/2 cup orange juice
•1 cup nuts
•2 cups wholemeal flour
•2 tablespoons gluten flour or extra flour
•3 teaspoons baking powder
•3 eggs
•1/4 cup slivered almonds
•2 tablespoons sherry
For the mixed dried fruit use any combination of the following dried fruits: dried fruit mixture, sultanas, raisins, prunes, currants, dried apricots, peaches, nectarines, dried apples, dried mango etc.

Chop or cut (with scissors) large pieces of fruit into pieces the size of sultanas. Put them in a tough, heatproof plastic bag and pour the boiling water and then the orange juice over them.

Close the bag, leaving an opening of about 2cm unsealed, lie fairly flat in the microwave and cook on High (100% power) in 1 minute bursts, until the fruit is hot. Turn the bag over after the first minute, making sure the liquid can't escape.

When the fruit is hot, take the bag out of the microwave and lie it on a cold surface to cool to room temperature. Leave overnight or for at least 2 hours, to cool and soak up the liquid.

Turn the oven on to 160 ° C or 150 ° C fan-bake with the rack below the middle.

Line the bottom and sides of a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.

When you are ready to mix the cake, chop the nuts finely and put them in a large container with the wholemeal flour, gluten flour (if available) and the baking powder. Mix thoroughly.

In a mixing bowl large enough to hold everything, beat the eggs until thick and fluffy with a rotary beater. Add the cold fruit mixture and the dry mixture. Mix with a clean hand until everything is thoroughly combined. If about a cupful of mixture seems to be too dry to drop from your hand, add 2-3 tablespoons extra water or sherry.

Put the mixture into the cake tin by hand, pushing it evenly into the corners. Level off the top with a damp hand. Sprinkle evenly with the slivered almonds. Bake, starting testing the cake after 1 1/4 hours. It usually takes about 1 1/2 hours until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, showing the cake is ready.

Stand the hot, cooked cake on rack. Sprinkle or brush the surface of the cake with 2 tablespoons of sherry for extra flavour.

When cold, wrap the cake in greaseproof paper and a tea towel, and store in the fridge for a least several days before cutting or freeze strips (see below) in airtight plastic bags, up to 3 months.

To cut the cake into 1cm x 4cm slices, use a sharp serrated knife. Cut the cake into five strips of equal width, then cut each of these crossways into about twenty 1cm slices.

Approx nutritional analysis per slice
Energy 213kJ 51kcal Fat 1g Carbohydrate 8g

Source: The New Zealand Diabetes Cookbook: Easy Everyday Recipes for the Whole Family - Simon & Alison Holst

Updated recipe section funded by the Diabetes Foundation.