Looking for a Dutch recipe

pistolero, Jun 29, 7:03am
As a child my mum made a delicious dutch meatloaf type dish which we knew as BALCABRAE. I'm not sure if I've got the spelling right.
Can anyone help with a recipe, or maybe someone who makes it or sells it?

gypsy11, Jun 30, 11:32am
Tried to find it but no luck. Do you remember the flavours? I came across one which uses cheese (swiss) called Velveeta, but nothing similar to the spelling of Balcabrae. Tough one

miesje, Jun 30, 7:25pm
Try "balkenbrij" .

dbab, Jul 1, 12:05am
My Mum used to make "brai/brij" from the liquid left over after she'd made brawn. I wish I knew what she added to the liquid. It was set in a bowl, cut into slices and then fried. I loved it.

winnie231, Jul 1, 1:10am
Traditionally, it was made after the slaughtering of the fatted hog. The word 'balkenbrij' dates from the Middle Ages or even earlier. 'Balken' is derived from 'balg' which means offal or leftovers, brij means mush or gruel.

The idea you get from this combination of words is probably the right one... balkenbrij is a kind of porridge made from pork and buckwheat, left to cool and then sliced and fried. Recipes vary, but they always contain pork liver and those bits of meat that aren't really suitable for anything else, plus a combination of exotic spices.
http://everything2.com/title/balkenbrij

evorotorua, Jul 1, 1:13am
I asked my Dutch Mum who responded (this would be from the 30s,40s and 50s) "I remember my uncle Theo making it often after slaughtering a beast(cow or whatever) Then it hung for 3 days in the cowshed above a few buckets and all the left overs after the slaughter were mixed and boiled,mixed with currants or the leftover stufflike fat, liver bits and pieces mixed with some kinds of flour ( boekwijt) and cooled in big containers, when ready to eat cut in slices and fried in more fat. Eaten with slices of bread. I cant recall if I particularly liked it or not . It was food so you ate it.
Have a nice day , Mum :)
PS. The currants we had to pick from the bushes in the back of the paddocks That was our job.We called them krenten but they must have been different from the dried grapes, the berries were blue,reddish "

dbab, Jul 1, 4:21am
I really don't remember Mum putting any meat in ours. It was just the liquid from the brawn (zult).
She used to make black pudding too, and nothing you buy tastes the same as hers.

pistolero, Jul 6, 4:47am
Thanks for helping, It's called Balkenbrij, or scapple in America. I found lots of advice and recipes on wikipedia but the one above sounds good so I'll give it a whirl soon. Thanks again for the help, cheers,
pistolero.