Looking for my Great aunt's recipe

kismet41, Jun 29, 8:21am
I am looking for my Godmother's recipe which I remember from my childhood.She called them "hunky punky" but I think they were some sort of fried doughnut or fried bread.She told me they were a Bohemian recipe.Unfortunately there was nothing in my grandmothers recipe books and my godmother's were destroyed.Can anyone help.

cookessentials, Jun 29, 7:29pm

jag5, Jul 1, 4:24am
Mum used to do fried scones.....just a simple scone mixture, roll out and cut into squares or rounds, then deep fry until golden....I remember them dripping with butter and golden syrup....no wonder I am a big girl and have bowel problems LOL

korbo, Aug 29, 7:06pm
ohh. just love these, but bad for the body.ha ha
used to cook them for 300 girls at a boarding school. they are not allowed them now, too much sugar and fat.
never mind now and again wont hurt anyone.

sumstyle, Aug 29, 7:22pm
I hear ya - a food "legacy" from my dad is dripping (fat) on toast. Fortunately I don't do roasts, but the damage was done when I was younger!

rarogal, Aug 31, 2:36am
Ohdidn't we eat badly! One of our treats was fresh white bread fried in bacon fat (after the bacon was cooked).A rare treat as we seldon had bacon!

jag5, Sep 1, 6:44am
rarogal.yep same.or cold bacon fat spread on bread with salt added.grilled cheese melted in a pan.scoop out and eat LOL.oh the decadence LOL

kiwikittykat, Sep 2, 9:01am
what about dipping fresh bread into a some jam and fresh cream

sarahj1, Sep 2, 7:16pm
Hunky Punkys - from our school cookbook, "Serving up St Albans" (copies still available!)
4 cups flour
1 tp salt
1/2 cup sugar
50gms butter softened
1 tbsp dried yeast dissolved inwarm water
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar
oil for deep frying
Sift dry ngredients together. Mix yeast, water, milk and sugar together in bowl.Add butter then yeast mixture to dry ingredients. add mor ewater or milk if needed to form soft dough.
Put aside in warm spot to rise for 15 mins.
Pat dough out and cut into rectangles.Place a couple at a time into a saucepan filled with hot oil (or deep fryer)
cook til golden brown. Servecut in half and spread with butter and jam.

rachsta, Sep 3, 1:18am
I'm going to make these now. Back shortly.