An interesting recipe for getting rid of mould on

dbab, Jun 9, 3:57am
curtains from Wendyl Nissen's weekly newsletter
Mould-fashioned remedy
At the weekend I did a Green Goddess hour on Kerre's Cafe on NewstalkZB and had a caller ring in with a common question. How to remove mildew from the backs of curtains. Lorraine who was listening rang in with a great method which I had read about in my old books but never tried. She swears by it so I'm sharing it with you to see if it works for you. I get so many queries about this that I'm sure many of you will rush out and give it a go.
In a bucket or warm water dissolve 1 kg of salt (not iodised). Soak the curtain in it overnight then hang on the line in full sun without rinsing first. Allow to dry and the salt will crystalise. Then you just need to brush it off and the mildew will go with it.

coconutbuns, Jun 9, 5:06pm
hey handy hint thank you!My curtains have mould so I will try your idea, save my dollars having to buy new curtains.

korbo, Jun 9, 9:40pm
what about black on the bottom of the polyester shower curtain. have soaked in napisana and bleach. still there.
they seem to just appear. maybe need to buy a new curtain, tho this one is only a year or so old.....

kay141, Jun 9, 10:12pm
Try washing it in with your towels. I do regularly and have no problems. I have 2 curtains and alternate them.

stells3, Jun 9, 10:19pm
Hang curtains on clothes line and spray the curtains with Exit mould.Works a treat.Do not need to wash them first.

dbab, Jun 10, 3:57am
curtains from Wendyl Nissen's weekly newsletter
Mould-fashioned remedy
At the weekend I did a Green Goddess hour on Kerre's Cafe on NewstalkZB and had a caller ring in with a common question. How to remove mildew from the backs of curtains. Lorraine who was listening rang in with a great method which I had read about in my old books but never tried. She swears by it so I'm sharing it with you to see if it works for you. I get so many queries about this that I'm sure many of you will rush out and give it a go.
In a bucket or warm water dissolve 1 kg of salt (not iodised). Soak the curtain in it overnight then hang on the line in full sun without rinsing first. Allow to dry and the salt will crystalise. Then you just need to brush it off and the mildew will go with it.

kinna54, Jun 10, 5:45am
Thats a good tip. I know my painter brother used to say that they sprayed ceilings with a salt solution to remove mould. I remember hearing advertised on the wet and forget add" less harmful than table salt," maybe that's what's in it?

kinna54, Jun 10, 6:07am
I just spray mine with a bleach in a spray bottle, leave for a few mins, and then pop it in the washing machine. My curtain is dk blue, but the bleach never seems to affect the colour but *try it on a corner or something first.* Another way is to soak in hot soapy water with a capful of ammonia added, then brush gently with an old toothbrush or soft nailbrush.

gemini007, Jun 10, 8:28am
Try white vinegar.

mamaa, Jun 10, 10:23am
And bottoms of shower curtains,just usesard soap and give a good rub, and the mould will all come off.Takes a bit of elbow grease, but looks great....

korbo, Jun 10, 9:40pm
what about black on the bottom of the polyester shower curtain. have soaked in napisana and bleach. still there.
they seem to just appear. maybe need to buy a new curtain, tho this one is only a year or so old.

kinna54, Jun 11, 5:45am
Thats a good tip. I know my painter brother used to say that they sprayed ceilings with a salt solution to remove mould. I remember hearing advertised on the wet and forget add" less harmful than table salt," maybe that's what's in it!

mamaa, Jun 11, 10:23am
And bottoms of shower curtains,just usesard soap and give a good rub, and the mould will all come off.Takes a bit of elbow grease, but looks great.