Sourdough a dud

aly5, May 27, 6:49am
I don't think I'm doing it right. The starter has taken for ages to take off, and I tried to make a loaf the other day when I thought it was ok. I now have a doorstop with a big bubble right in the middle of it and a doughy texture. The starter is starting to smell weird - but because I've never seen a starter up close or worked with sourdough before I have no idea on how it's supposed to be. I think I might just give up and just buy the stuff!

deus701, May 27, 7:16am
how did you make your starter in the first place? Did you feed or refresh it constantly? Does it have a sweet, slightly sourish smell? A starter should smell like that and if you lift it up, the dough has like a 'spider web'-like strands.

malcovy, May 27, 7:39am
When I first made the starter it was quick, just flour and water but the first and second loaves I made with the starter were like bricks.After that the loaves were fantastic, just have to patient thats all.
The starter does have an unusual smell.

aly5, May 28, 6:49am
I don't think I'm doing it right. The starter has taken for ages to take off, and I tried to make a loaf the other day when I thought it was ok. I now have a doorstop with a big bubble right in the middle of it and a doughy texture. The starter is starting to smell weird - but because I've never seen a starter up close or worked with sourdough before I have no idea on how it's supposed to be. I think I might just give up and just buy the stuff!

deus701, May 28, 7:16am
how did you make your starter in the first place! Did you feed or refresh it constantly! Does it have a sweet, slightly sourish smell! A starter should smell like that and if you lift it up, the dough has like a 'spider web'-like strands.

This might be useful to u:

http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html