What the heck is up with this recipe

live-2-ride, May 13, 4:55am
made it and its all sloppy like a cake batter grrrrr!! added more flour like heaps more and its still sticky-ish, hmmm hope they will cook ok otherwise wota waste of ingrediants

live-2-ride, May 13, 5:00am

creeky1, May 13, 5:08am
when i read it, it looked like 11.2 cups of milk. but says 1 1/2 cups milk. but i feel that could be too much. You use need enough to make a dough.

daleaway, May 13, 5:32am
Yes it does look like too much liquid.
I mean an EGG and MELTED butter - what sort of screwy scone dough is that?
For the best scones, just rub or cut the unmelted butter into the flour with a pastry blender. You do not need an egg. I use about 50g of butter per 2 cups SR flour, but as I don't measure it I can't be sure of the exact amount.
Then just stir in sufficient milk till the dough feels like your ear lobe.

That's how my great granny taught me 60 years ago.

anne1955, May 13, 5:38am
I had a day like that today as well with my cooking..maybe it was because it was Friday 13th :) Wish I could help here...But I will say often when I bake a new recipe for the first time I do more by feel than recipe..should have done that today felt there was to much liquid in my jams and chutneys today but went with recipe and neither have set...bugger..

waswoods, May 13, 9:06am
I always use an egg, oil and yoghurt in my scones and they are great

kinna54, May 13, 9:28am
There is a famous featherlite scone dough that has an egg and is seriously good! Old Elfin flour recipe I think, (I just checked it and it says 3/4cup milk to 2 cupds flour, so I think the 1 1/2 cups milk was way too much, for 2/12 cups flour I would go 1 cup milk: but like daleaaway I don't find it necessary to use an egg normally.
I watched my friends old mum *87* make scones; she made them in a pyrex jug with melted butter, added the milk, stirred with a knife and plopped spoonfuls of quite sticky goo (I thought) on a tray, smoothed out with her floured handjust enough to make a scone shape. I was astounded* but the scones were absolutely beautiful, crunchy top and bottom, soft melt in mouth centre. I was blown away!. .. and it's definitely a black Friday here as well. Not up to par today. Even granddie said Nan your eggy toast's not so good today. Better luck next time, and cut that milk down!.

twinsforus, May 13, 9:55am
This is the idiot proof scone recipe that is posted on here occasionally (but with icing sugar added).
I make these all the time....once you melt the butter and allow it to cool a bit, top it up with milk to 1 & 1/2cups of milk BUT increase the flour to 3 large cups. :)
Oh and this recipe is just as good with or without the egg!

helsbelsnz, May 13, 10:34am
That's how my MIL makes scones - the first time I saw her do that I thought "ohh these will be terrible!".They were the best scones I've ever had.She's visiting tomorrow, so I'm hoping she'll make her scones to go with the crabapple jelly I made yesterday

dilligaf_dah, May 13, 11:21am
It should read One - 1/2 (half ) cup of milk not one and a half.. Just a half cup of milk

seniorbones, May 13, 12:08pm
no I think it reads 1 & 1/2 'cups' of milk its plural not singular and the same with the flour except there is a space between the 2 and 1/2, maybe contact them to see if its printed correctly, butI would just try 1/2 cup and then add more until a dough.

dilligaf_dah, May 14, 12:20am
with thee volume of dry incredents only 1/2 cup needed

pickles7, May 14, 12:42am
The sorry thing is.... before trade me made editing available I posted a recipe that was not right, I found the mistake when I found "that recipe" else where. What a joke, that recipe, is still floating around, I have found it twice on two different sites. Just makes me chuckle. Itgoes to show, if you post a recipe, as your own, try it first....The recipe I posted, is not on the Trade me site now.
Maybe nothing can be done about that post now...

live-2-ride, May 14, 4:55am
made it and its all sloppy like a cake batter grrrrr! added more flour like heaps more and its still sticky-ish, hmmm hope they will cook ok otherwise wota waste of ingrediants

daleaway, May 14, 5:32am
Yes it does look like too much liquid.
I mean an EGG and MELTED butter - what sort of screwy scone dough is that!
For the best scones, just rub or cut the unmelted butter into the flour with a pastry blender. You do not need an egg. I use about 50g of butter per 2 cups SR flour, but as I don't measure it I can't be sure of the exact amount.
Then just stir in sufficient milk till the dough feels like your ear lobe.

That's how my great granny taught me 60 years ago.

anne1955, May 14, 5:38am
I had a day like that today as well with my cooking.maybe it was because it was Friday 13th :) Wish I could help here.But I will say often when I bake a new recipe for the first time I do more by feel than recipe.should have done that today felt there was to much liquid in my jams and chutneys today but went with recipe and neither have set.bugger.

kinna54, May 14, 9:28am
There is a famous featherlite scone dough that has an egg and is seriously good! Old Elfin flour recipe I think, (I just checked it and it says 3/4cup milk to 2 cups flour, so I think the 1 1/2 cups milk was way too much, for 2 1/2 cups flour .
I would go 1 cup milk: but like daleaway I don't find it necessary to use an egg normally.
I watched my friends old mum *87* make scones; she made them in a pyrex jug with melted butter, added the milk, stirred with a knife and plopped spoonfuls of quite sticky goo (I thought) on a tray, smoothed out with her floured handjust enough to make a scone shape. I was astounded! but the scones were absolutely beautiful, crunchy top and bottom, soft melt in mouth centre. I was blown away!. . and it's definitely a black Friday here as well. Not up to par today. Even granddie said Nan your eggy toast's not so good today. Better luck next time, and cut that milk down!.

twinsforus, May 14, 9:55am
This is the idiot proof scone recipe that is posted on here occasionally (but with icing sugar added).
I make these all the time.once you melt the butter and allow it to cool a bit, top it up with milk to 1 & 1/2cups of milk BUT increase the flour to 3 large cups. :)
Oh and this recipe is just as good with or without the egg!

helsbelsnz, May 14, 10:34am
That's how my MIL makes scones - the first time I saw her do that I thought "ohh these will be terrible!".They were the best scones I've ever had.She's visiting tomorrow, so I'm hoping she'll make her scones to go with the crabapple jelly I made yesterday

dilligaf_dah, May 14, 11:21am
It should read One - 1/2 (half ) cup of milk not one and a half. Just a half cup of milk

seniorbones, May 14, 12:08pm
no I think it reads 1 & 1/2 'cups' of milk its plural not singular and the same with the flour except there is a space between the 2 and 1/2, maybe contact them to see if its printed correctly, butI would just try 1/2 cup and then add more until a dough.

pickles7, May 15, 12:42am
The sorry thing is. before trade me made editing available I posted a recipe that was not right, I found the mistake when I found "that recipe" else where. What a joke, that recipe, is still floating around, I have found it twice on two different sites. Just makes me chuckle. Itgoes to show, if you post a recipe, as your own, try it first.The recipe I posted, is not on the Trade me site now.
Maybe nothing can be done about that post now.

pickles7, May 15, 1:40am
I just went and looked to see if an e-mail could be sent with regards to the recipe. No such luck. One if those cases when experience, would have prevailed.
You will soon know how much liquid is required, to make a thin batter, cake batter, or a scone dough. Pastry is something else again.

worrit, May 15, 9:58am
This is the recipe for Idiot proof scones that was on TM ages ago.
They are really lovely scones and so easy.
Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid. Mix well with a fork. Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.