Okay, tried a new recipe and it went south

dieselkat248, May 12, 7:52am
called sabbat or crescent moon cakes. liked the sound of it. oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon etc..... anyway they've ended up like hard, dry scones. did i overmix? or should i chuck in extra honey? or.....?????

kuaka, May 12, 9:00am
don't know what to suggest, but I do sympathise.My scones always turn out like round house bricks - my husband calls them "rock cakes" !!

pheebs1, May 12, 9:02am
give us the recipe and lets see. my scones are always enormous little working as possible.

cgvl, May 12, 10:06am
if they are like a scone in dough and cooking then maybe try doing them in a food processor.
My scones used to be like bricks totally inedible until I had someone tell me to use the food processor. Now I have perfect scones most of the time.
Also I need to roll mine not pat out as some recipes suggest.

creeky1, May 13, 5:10am
for scones my gran always said cut the milk in with a knife and knead as little as possible or they are as tough as boots.

anne1955, May 13, 5:47am
People say my scones are great and I use to rub or cut in the butter then I took to just melting the butter and mix it in at the end cutting it in then..and work a treat.And the scones made with old cream to mix with pinch of salt and selfraing flour as great to for a quick mix when you know they will all be eaten in a day...and if thres not enough cream in bottle I just mix a bit of water with it to make the dough the right consisdency (sp) they are nice you can add chesse or what ever and work a treat and saves tossing old cream..honestly I'll use it up to a couple of weeks old even when seperated..just like yogurt...hasn't made anyone I know sick :)

dieselkat248, May 13, 7:52am
called sabbat or crescent moon cakes. liked the sound of it. oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon etc. anyway they've ended up like hard, dry scones. did i overmix! or should i chuck in extra honey! or.!

kuaka, May 13, 9:00am
don't know what to suggest, but I do sympathise.My scones always turn out like round house bricks - my husband calls them "rock cakes" !

anne1955, May 14, 5:47am
People say my scones are great and I use to rub or cut in the butter then I took to just melting the butter and mix it in at the end cutting it in then.and work a treat.And the scones made with old cream to mix with pinch of salt and selfraing flour as great to for a quick mix when you know they will all be eaten in a day.and if thres not enough cream in bottle I just mix a bit of water with it to make the dough the right consisdency (sp) they are nice you can add chesse or what ever and work a treat and saves tossing old cream.honestly I'll use it up to a couple of weeks old even when seperated.just like yogurt.hasn't made anyone I know sick :)