Mille feuille - got a serving question

Page 2 / 2
trademequeen, May 2, 3:11am
To make cutting easier just score 2 of the layers of pastry into slices (don't cut right through) before baking. :)Then all you have to do is carefully line them up when putting together ......makes it very easy to cut through into neat slices :)

nfh1, May 2, 4:19am
Yes I remember doing this at school but I did not think there was any difference between the two, just different names for the same thing.But I definitely could be wrong, have never made it since I left school.

kuaka, May 2, 8:38am
Okay, my "homepride" flour recipe booklet says that to make flaky pastry, you mix the fat (a mix of butter (or marg) and lard) and add a quarter of the total fat to the flour to make pastry, and then roll the dough out into a rectangle.Dot one quarter of the blended fats over two-thirds of the pastry and fold into three, seal edges, place in fridge for 15 mins, then repeat twice more.

For puff pastry it says to make the pastry with a quarter of the fat, and then roll the dough into a rectangle, then place the remaining three-quarters of fat on the pastry, fold the pastry and seal.Wrap in greaseproof paper or foil and rest in fridge for 30 minutes.Repeat the rolling, folding and resting process 5 times, resting pastry for 15-20 minutes between each rolling.

Then if you really want to confuse yourself, there is also a recipe for "rough puff pastry" but I won't bore you with that.

winnie231, May 2, 9:45am

kuaka, May 2, 11:05am
uli - I could be wrong, but we learned how to make both puff and flaky pastry at school (yes, it was some 50 years ago now), and I seem to recall they were both made basically the same way, by rubbing a quarter of the butter into the flour to make the pastry, then the pastry is rolled into a rectangle, and another quarter of the butter is dabbed on the top 2/3 of the rectangle which is then folded, unbuttered piece folds up, the the top of the buttered piece is folded down on top, and it's pressed together with the flat edge of your hand.This is repeated twice more.The only difference is that for flaky pastry it is rolled out in the same direction, for puff pastry the rectangle of pastry is turned through 90 degrees, before being rolled again.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that's how we did it.

The result is that they are both very buttery, but the puff one is puffier.

buzzy110, May 2, 9:58pm
Lol kuaka. You have it right. There is the "proper" way to make flakey/flaky and puff and then there are rustic variations, created for different uses. I'm quite a fan of the 'rustic' versions myself. They are excellent for 'rustic' products like pork pies and crostata.

fifie, May 2, 11:03pm
Make sure your filling is reasonably thick, and chill your desert well before serving. Try using a electric knife with a sererated edge, cutsinto pastry better than a plain blade knife.

purplegoanna, May 2, 11:18pm
mmmmmmm the bakery up the road do a beaut Mille feuille, so delectable...mmmmm

kuaka, May 3, 2:42am
and since my last post I have checked out several of my recipe books and I'm even more confused than ever now.Each one is different.

trademequeen, May 3, 3:11am
To make cutting easier just score 2 of the layers of pastry into slices (don't cut right through) before baking. :)Then all you have to do is carefully line them up when putting together .makes it very easy to cut through into neat slices :)

kuaka, May 3, 8:38am
Okay, my "homepride" flour recipe booklet says that to make flaky pastry, you mix the fat (a mix of butter (or marg) and lard) and add a quarter of the total fat to the flour to make pastry, and then roll the dough out into a rectangle.Dot one quarter of the blended fats over two-thirds of the pastry and fold into three, seal edges, place in fridge for 15 mins, then repeat twice more.

For puff pastry it says to make the pastry with a quarter of the fat, and then roll the dough into a rectangle, then place the remaining three-quarters of fat on the pastry, fold the pastry and seal.Wrap in greaseproof paper or foil and rest in fridge for 30 minutes.Repeat the rolling, folding and resting process 5 times, resting pastry for 15-20 minutes between each rolling.

Then if you really want to confuse yourself, there is also a recipe for "rough puff pastry" but I won't bore you with that.

buzzy110, May 3, 9:58pm
Lol kuaka. You have it right. There is the "proper" way to make flakey/flaky and puff and then there are rustic variations, created for different uses. I'm quite a fan of the 'rustic' versions myself. They are excellent for 'rustic' products like pork pies and crostata.

purplegoanna, May 3, 11:18pm
mmmmmmm the bakery up the road do a beaut Mille feuille, so delectable.mmmmm