Buttercream filling

paula16, Apr 29, 9:09am
hi all im making a 40th bday cake 4 sis inlaw and i see on tv they use a buttercream filling and icing. does anyone have a tried and true recipe. and also if i also put buttercream on outside of cake. could i then cover it in fondant. any advice would be helpfull. cheers

paula16, Apr 29, 9:38am
no one know

marcs, Apr 29, 12:03pm
google will be your best friend here. Personally I prefer mock cream because it is not so sweet but look it up

marcs, Apr 29, 12:07pm

paula16, Apr 29, 9:08pm
yes i have googled but was looking for some good reciep advice cheers for you help thats awesome

meegs35, Apr 29, 9:26pm
Buttercream recipes always have a huge amount of butter in them...like 250g or more. I use about 150 g butter then cream it first. The add in your sifted icing sugar, some vanilla and mix again. To thin it use milk. You can follow a recipe but it will taste good even if you don't and I find it's not to my taste of it's too buttery. You can coat the cake with buttercream before fondant BUT don't make it too thick as the buttercream softens and it can be difficult to get good lines with your fondant as it can move around. You can do a crumb coat first which just smooths it with all the cake crumbs before you leave it to set in the fridge then put on another layer of buttercream which makes the cake smoother for your fondant. I recently made a wedding cake and the top and bottom tiers were ganache which made the fondant much easier to put on. The middle tier was buttercream, which although I had set it in the fridge, softened quickly and didn't give the nice, clean lines of the first-ganached cakes. It did taste great though. However if you do stick with the buttercream just make sure it isn't too thick so the fondant doesn't move around. Hope that all makes sense.

rosathemad, Apr 30, 12:11am
There are different types of buttercream - the creamed butter/sugar type is easier to make but can sometimes not set as well. You certainly can put fondant straight on top of buttercream, though - as meegs points out sometimes the buttercream can be a bit soft, but this is usually more of a summer problem.

For most uses, I prefer to make a meringue buttercream - that is, it contains eggs, and is made with a sugar syrup. It's a much fussier process but I like the taste better - it's not quite so buttery. My recipe is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/06/macarons.html (the buttercream recipe is at the bottom, and you can flavour it as you wish but if the flavour is liquid you're best to replace some of the water in the syrup with it rather than adding at the end).

For citrus flavoured cakes I do use just butter and sugar with zest and citrus juice, as I find the sharp tang cuts through the butter enough - it depends how fussy you want to be and what flavours you're after.