Bacon hock soup

obsidianwings, Apr 25, 10:10pm
How much water would you suggest putting in a bacon hock soup? I assume to some extent it depends on how much you want to make, but I don't want to put to much water in and have it tasting weak. I am using one bacon hock, its a little over a kg.

pommyjohn1, Apr 25, 10:20pm
my recipe for pea and ham soup calls for 13 cups which just about covers the hock

beaker59, Apr 25, 10:21pm
I make big batches from one hock say 4 -6 L but then I add allot of veges :)

less is OK too so a wide range make what you need and add extra veg to get the soup you like.

obsidianwings, Apr 25, 10:23pm
I will be adding lots of veges to. Thanks guys :) I am so looking forward to trying this tomorrow

cookessentials, Apr 26, 3:29am
I do mine in the crock pot and add enough water to cover the hock well. I cook the hock on it's own first, in the crock pot until the meat begins to fall off. I remove the hock and take off all the meat and discard the skin. I skin the large amounts of fat from the top of the cooled liquid and then to that I add:
The chopped ham hock meat
chopped onion
carrots,sliced
swedes, cubed
potato,cubed
kumara,cubed
1/2 bunch celery( leaves and all) chopped
1x can chopped tomatoes
1 Litre of Campbells vegetable or chicken stock
Tomato paste ( to my taste)
freshy ground pepper.

Once cooked through with hardest vege beginning to soften, I add spiral pasta..sometimes the tri-colour. When the pasta is cooked through, I get a lovely thick soup that you can just about stand your spoon up in. I serve with fresh crusty bread. Just adjust ingredients to your own tast to get the flavour you like

obsidianwings, Apr 26, 7:20am
That sounds lovely cookessentials. I don't have all of that stuff righ now, but I might try it next time.

pickles7, Apr 26, 9:58am
I add and follow what is on, 1 pkt of King veggie soup mix, adding twice as much water, I then put my bacon hock into the pot and start cooking. While that starts cooking I grate up2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 swede, 1 kumara, 1 potato, 2 good pieces of pumpkin, dice 2 celery stalks, only if the celery is sweet, any other veg I may have at my disposal. Add all the veges to the pot and simmer until the bacon hock is near falling apart. I remove the hock, discard the bones and skin. Chop up the meat and return that to the soup. It is then I season the soup. I added vegetable cooking water, over a period, while the kids were at home, they preferred less veg. Enjoy.

shellz596, Apr 26, 10:24pm
great cookessentials, thats how I do it, --pickles7 thats a good idea to great them I think I will give it a go next time, which will be very soon, thanks all