Love brussels sprouts whats your favourite recipe?

martine5, Apr 4, 5:11am
Personally I adore brussels sprouts, but my partner hates them, I haven't managed to conviert him to my way of thinking by smothering them in either cheese sauce or hollandaise, I am after other cool ways to tempt him please share yours.

karlymouse, Apr 4, 6:12am
Personally loath them... but apparently if you blanche them and then reheat the bitterness is gone... or I would actually quickly saute them with onion and a little butter.

karlymouse, Apr 4, 6:13am
Oops.... thats saute them when finely shredded I mean - not big chunks

samsnan, Apr 4, 6:14am
Well both of us loathe also and I have tried all different ways to cook or disguise. Nothing gets rid of that strong horrid taste sorry. I really would like to like them.

motorbo, Apr 4, 6:28am
omg what bitterness? brussel sprouts are like sweet little cabbages i so dont get people not liking them i love them, when they are cooked i will pinch tem out of the port to eat whole - alone.......i have no recipe sorry ive used them in strifrys chopped up but i tend to just boil but not overcook them - i could eat them nearly every night

ant_sonja, Apr 4, 6:44am
I love them too but many people don't - One way you can try to prepare themfor non-lovers is by removing all the little individual leaves from the 'trunk' and blanching the leaves very quickly in boiling water, strain and them cook for a further couple of minutes by stirring them in a pan over medium heat with melted butter. You want to end up with glossy brussel sprout leaves that aren't overcooked :-) Season with Salt & pepper (and nutmeg is you like) - they are delicious like that and do taste quite a bit different for some reason. Time consuming to remove all the leaves but worth it as its a nice way to eat them.

elliehen, Apr 4, 6:52am
Here is a recipe for Brussels Sprouts, according to a family legend (not mine) brought from Paris to Germany several generations ago:

"BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Small sprouts are better than large ones.Boil them in a lot of salted water until nearly soft (10-12 minutes).Drain them through a colander, trying to get as much water out of them as possible.Cover with paper towel.In a large cast iron pan, melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter.Add a heaped tablespoon of sugar.When the mixture just begins to brown, add the Brussels sprouts in small amounts and fry over a high heat until they are nearly burned black.A delight even for eaters who normally hate brussels sprouts!"

Source: Cookbook 'Onslow Anglicans - Favourite Food' 2007

leebee35, Apr 4, 6:55am
You add 1/2 nip of Gin in while cooking..... ( and drink the rest of the bottle)... lol.Just kidding.Though the nip of Gin does the trick.
While living in the UK.... these are a Christmas day veggie.... I couldnt believe it - so hunted out a chestnut topping which I would not recommend.Though do google it ..as it;s popular with the Poms.

elliehen, Apr 4, 7:23am
Gordon Ramsay cooked them for his family dinner in a Christmas Special.

motorbo, Apr 4, 7:37am
actually i read in a mag recently that there is a new smaller breed that non lovers will like

r-mvz, Apr 4, 7:45am
I like the small ones, boiled and served with apple sauce....mmm

davidt4, Apr 4, 9:07am

aktow, Apr 4, 2:27pm
martine5you are a sick person. you need help. if you like Brussels sprouts then i afraid you need to be seen by a doctor, you have no taste buds.

rozigurl, Apr 4, 3:02pm
My nan got me to eat them when I was little because she called them dolly cabbages. Then she would pour delicious home made gravy on them with the potaoes right next to them. So yum. I always eat my dolly cabbages.

elliehen, Apr 4, 10:06pm
What a clever Nan :)

trademequeen, Apr 4, 10:50pm
Lemon Sprouts.
Microwave, steam or boil sprouts until just tender. About 4mins on Hi in a 700wt microwave.
Mix together 2 teasps lemon juice, grated lemon rind, 1 clove crushed garlic and 2 Tbsp melted butter.
Pour over sprouts, stir and enjoy :)
**Only way I have them :)

cookessentials, Apr 4, 10:58pm
I love Brussel sprouts...I think alot of people have been put of by childhood dramas with overcooked ones. I also love mashed swede with plenty of butter,salt & pepper...great with a casserole.

Brussel Sprouts With Pancetta & Fried Onions

1 kg of brussel sprouts, peeled and steamed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
200 g pancetta, finely sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1/4 cup fried onions

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry for 2 minutes until just becoming crisp. Toss in the sprouts, then the lemon juice. Season well.

Cook for 2 minutes until heated through. Serve topped with fried onions.

martine5, Apr 4, 11:04pm
Yum I'll be trying that one.Thanks heaps

martine5, Apr 4, 11:07pm
I don't like brussels sprouts - I love them but they do need sauce.Sometimes when I spy new seasons ones in the supermarket I buy about half a kilo of them and eat them in one sitting. Yum

spawnman, Apr 5, 11:02pm
Love Brussel sprouts. Best recipe that even my son likes. Roast halved sprouts with olive oil, salt & pepper until tender & roasted. Then make a mustard vinaigrette to pour over hot sprouts. 1Tb oil 1Tb cider vinegar 1Tb maple syrup 1Tb grainy mustard 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1 clove minced garlic salt & pepper to taste. Mix together & toss on the roasted sprouts.

elliehen, Apr 6, 3:22am
Now that is one recipe I am saving.I can taste it as I read it.

Some people suggest that the bitterness in a sprout is a result of being grown in conditions which are too warm for it, and that it needs a cold climate to make it sweet - in the same way that parsnips do.