Allsort Slice - tried new recipe, looking good!!

rarogal, Apr 2, 3:30am
ALLSORT SLICE
250g malt biscuits, 125g butter - melted, 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk, 280g licorice allsorts - chopped, 2cups icing sugar, 1Tbsp cocoa, 1Tbsp butter - melted, boiling water.
Process biscuits until fine-crumbed, add melted butter and condensed milk and pulse until well mixed. Place mixture in a bowl and add licorice - mix well.
Press into 30x20cm slice pan and refrigerate until firm. Combine icing sugar & coca in a bowl, mix in butter and enough boiling water to make a spreadable icing. Ice and allow to set before cutting.

wildebeest, Apr 2, 9:06pm
oooh i saw this in the BOP newspaper...so wanna try it!!!

rarogal, Apr 2, 11:51pm
Yep, thats where i got it from - quite rich so cut small pieces, and use a little less butter with the biscuit crumbs - otherwise it's great!

rarogal, Apr 2, 11:52pm
Oh no actually it was in the HB Today!!

jessie981, Apr 3, 12:02am
yum. Mad Butcher has big bags of licorice allsorts for sale.

245sam, Apr 3, 1:19am
jessie981, the recipe at #1 is a variation on the good old lolly cake and one that I have made by using my usual recipe and simply substituting the licorice allsorts for the fruit puffs - I prefer it pressed into a shallow tin, then cut into fingers.IMO it is definitely ok without icing although I must try the above recipe, including the icing so that I can make a really informed choice.:-))

rarogal, Apr 3, 1:54am
Yes, fine without icing and as 245sam says, it is much like the lollie cake. Actually i think the icing makes it a bit rich, but hey, its all gone so who's complaining!!

korbo, Apr 3, 2:35am
Have been thinking that the lolly cake recipe, can be adapted to using anykind of soft unchewy lollies, or perhaps just dried fruit or ginger, maybe red and green cherries.
Has anyone made anything different. ??

pam.delilah, Apr 3, 3:39am
this is my recipe

Licorice allsort slice
· Melted butter, to grease
· 125g butter, chopped
· 160ml (2/3 cup) sweetened condensed milk
· 1 tbs golden syrup
· 1 x 250g pkt plain sweet biscuits crushed
· 45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
· 1 x 375g pkt licorice allsorts, coarsely chopped
· 200g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
· 30g kemelta
Method
1. Brush a 19 x 29cm (base measurement) lamington pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang slightly.
2. Combine the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Add the biscuits, coconut and licorice allsorts and stir until just combined. Press the mixture into the base of the prepared pan and set aside for 30 minutes to set.
3. Place the chocolate and kemeltain a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Use a metal spoon to stir over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the slice in the pan. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set. Cut into squares to serve.

wildflower, Apr 3, 3:43am
I did one few years ago that used superwines and I made that twice, lovely, then I saw a recipe that used malt biscuits but I haven't tried that yet.The recipe I have sounds like pam's but I just iced with a block of Whittakers.

wildebeest, Apr 3, 9:06pm
oooh i saw this in the BOP newspaper.so wanna try it!

rarogal, Apr 3, 11:51pm
Yep, thats where i got it from - quite rich so cut small pieces, and use a little less butter with the biscuit crumbs - otherwise it's great!

rarogal, Apr 3, 11:52pm
Oh no actually it was in the HB Today!

jessie981, Apr 4, 12:02am
yum. Mad Butcher has big bags of licorice allsorts for sale.

Is it ok without icing!

245sam, Apr 4, 1:19am
jessie981, the recipe at #1 is a variation on the good old lolly cake and one that I have made by using my usual recipe and simply substituting the licorice allsorts for the fruit puffs - I prefer it pressed into a shallow tin, then cut into fingers.IMO it is definitely ok without icing although I must try the above recipe, including the icing so that I can make a really informed choice; however the recipe above does have LOTS more lollies (allsorts) than is in my usual recipe using fruit puffs (180g).:-))

Edited to add thanks to rarogal for posting the recipe and I think, as you did, I'd be using "a little less butter with the biscuit crumbs" - without checking I think my usual recipe has 115g butter which I realise is only 10g (1 dssp) less butter but even the 115g butter is IMO a very adequate quantity to use.:-))

rarogal, Apr 4, 1:54am
Yes, fine without icing and as 245sam says, it is much like the lollie cake. Actually i think the icing makes it a bit rich, but hey, its all gone so who's complaining!

korbo, Apr 4, 2:35am
Have been thinking that the lolly cake recipe, can be adapted to using anykind of soft unchewy lollies, or perhaps just dried fruit or ginger, maybe red and green cherries.
Has anyone made anything different. !

pam.delilah, Apr 4, 3:39am
this is my recipe

Licorice allsort slice
· Melted butter, to grease
· 125g butter, chopped
· 160ml (2/3 cup) sweetened condensed milk
· 1 tbs golden syrup
· 1 x 250g pkt plain sweet biscuits crushed
· 45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
· 1 x 375g pkt licorice allsorts, coarsely chopped
· 200g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
· 30g kemelta
Method
1. Brush a 19 x 29cm (base measurement) lamington pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang slightly.
2. Combine the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Add the biscuits, coconut and licorice allsorts and stir until just combined. Press the mixture into the base of the prepared pan and set aside for 30 minutes to set.
3. Place the chocolate and kemeltain a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Use a metal spoon to stir over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the slice in the pan. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set. Cut into squares to serve.

wildflower, Apr 4, 3:43am
I did one few years ago that used superwines and I made that twice, lovely, then I saw a recipe that used malt biscuits but I haven't tried that yet.The recipe I have sounds like pam's but I just iced with a block of Whittakers.

cottagerose, Apr 4, 8:10am
I ate some licorice slice made with malt bisc at inlaws yesterday with chocolate icing. It was lovely but I wouldnt ice it as it was a bit too much!!
It was same as lolly cake but using licorice allsorts instead of eskimos

cottagerose, Apr 5, 8:10am
I ate some licorice slice made with malt bisc at inlaws yesterday with chocolate icing. It was lovely but I wouldnt ice it as it was a bit too much!
It was same as lolly cake but using licorice allsorts instead of eskimos