Wanted: German or Belgian Biscuits Recipe.

paora-tm, Jan 27, 11:52pm
Once upon a time - more years ago than I care to think about - I used to buy these biscuits from a bakery.

They were sweet and spicy, double layered with strawberry jam in the center and pink icing on top and they had a moist softish texture.

I have tried to make these from recipes I have found BUT they just don't come close to the ones I used to buy. My efforts have given me hard dry and generally unexciting biscuits - I need a time machine.

elliehen, Jan 28, 12:45am
My recipe has the spice cassia in it, and is an old one handed down.Will post it later, if you like.

suzanna, Jan 28, 12:58am
Elliehen's recipe is seriously good and if you use the search function to the left for 'belgian biscuits anytime' it will come up. Not interfering Elliehen just thought it might save you a job!

paora-tm, Jan 28, 1:08am
Hey, thanks. I just wasn't expecting to find recipes had already been posted so I didn't bothered searching.If only I had some cassia, I would be making some right now!

cgvl, Jan 28, 1:49am
x1
I use one out of the edmonds book but use the rice flour version, really nice too. haven't made them for years though.

eastie3, Jan 28, 4:51am
Use cinnamon.

elliehen, Jan 28, 6:30am
Thanks suzanna :)Here it is again - had forgotten I'd already posted it.
MEG'S BELGIAN BISCUITS
Cream 225gms butter with 225gms brown sugar
Add and beat 1 egg and one large Tablespoon golden syrup
Add sifted:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
15 gms cassia (1/2 ounce)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Roll into logs, chill and cut thin slices
Bake 160* 15 to 20 minutes
Put together with raspberry jam and ice with either vanilla icing sprinkled with pink jelly crystals, OR plain pink icing

nik12, Jan 28, 6:45am
If you leave them with the jam in the middle over night you might get the texture your looking for?I like them after they've had a wee soak.

And elliehen.. I did the roll in a log thing last time thanks to the last thread about belgiums - brilliance! thanks so much for that tip, much easier than fiddling round with a cutter :-)

paora-tm, 1 day, 1 hour
Good tip nik12. I think you are on the right track with that hint.

I actually came back to revisit this thread because I madea discovery from someone else's post about - Homebrand Gingernuts. They are really close in flavour to the Belgian style cookies which I have been dying to taste again.

I sandwiched them with blackberry jam, sprayed them with water and bunged them in the microwave for 10 seconds. oh la la. :)

Might spray with sherry next time. Been very naughty though - ate the whole packet of gingernuts in a day. tut tut.