Advice please...baking vs brought

Page 2 / 2
uli, Jan 28, 4:01am
Since we have this debate every couple of months - I will bump this one up rather than starting 3 new ones . hope the "purists" approve LOL :)

ants9, Jan 28, 5:18am
Would love to know your bread secret for 30c. :)

makespacenow, Jan 28, 5:28am
If you have space and can buy in bulk it is way cheaper.flour yeast etc from gilmours we get 20kg when its on special 15.99 bran flakes 2kg less than $4.
Bake everything ftom bred sweet breads cakesbiscuits sponge fingers tortilla wraps etc works out way cheaper.

donnabeth, Jan 28, 8:11am
A bag of Farmbake cookies cost about the same to buy as to make and in my case they taste better.I make good cakes, so they are much cheaper to bake than to buy and taste better.

All in all, if I'm going to be making a mess, I'd rather bake a fruit cake, banana cake and chocolate cake or fudge.

Portion size is another matter again affecting affordability.

Do we eat less of something we don't like, thus making it more economical! Why do we cut larger portions of home baking! Do our families think it's cheaper to bake so we can have more! I have tried cutting portions and freezing them, but then we take two small instead of one large.

lythande1, Jan 28, 6:48pm
Depends. Pak n Save had peach cakes for $3.50 the other day. Can you make it for that! Bread - I can do that for 30c a loaf. But cake, guess it depends if you buy ingredients in bulk or not.
Anyway I don't do cakes or biscuits. Or buy them.

flower-child01, Jan 28, 8:37pm
Definitely by far. I came across the price of a packet of biscuits at the supermarket the other day and nearly flipped at the cost. At http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/ are a diverse range of old fashioned recipes. and all are low cost.

marywea, Jan 28, 8:50pm
Nearly all slice recipes from the books are iced but I find a lot do not really need it, especially for family consumption,and that would save you a little plus being better for the teeth and the figure-well so I try and kid myself!.

ange164, Jan 28, 9:00pm
I find home baking is generally more substantial yet costs about the same to produce.

To slow down the consumption, I pre cut and wrap the pieces of cake and put them in the freezer free flow style. One per lunch box comes out in the morning and by morning tea time it's defrosted. Consider hand/palm size to guide the size of cutting things. I make cakes in a larger tin than recommended sometimes to that it's only about 3cm high. Not overkill.

I have taken to measuring out my biscuit dough in the prescribed tablespoon quantities the last few batches - I've got my eye back in again now about what size ball I need to make that equates a Tablespoon size biscuit. I had been making them too big. Men do not need "man sized" baking.

cgvl, Jan 28, 9:01pm
I don't ice slices either unless they specifically need it and I certainly don't ice muffins or cupcakes.
I find doing my own baking does work out cheaper than buying.
Somewhere I have or have seen a comparison for both and one was muffins and they cost less than $1 to make but you can pay anything up to $3 for them.
Also I make for our consumption ie I detest those huge biscuits and muffins etc you buy I want something to go with my cuppa or lunch not a meal in itself, hence home baking works out cheaper and you can get more per recipe.
My basic biscuit gives approx 30 pieces, less if they are bigger, muffin I can get 12 standard size per mix (not Texas ones either) a double batch gives around 26.
A cake rarely do a round cake so can getabout 30 pieces and a slice will give 24 to 30 good sized pieces or 60 small finger sized pieces.
So a saving all round IMHO.

fastlanenz, Jan 28, 9:30pm
I bake mostly, with the odd bought treat now and again.I like that I can choose what's in our food, and can vary the recipes to use wholemeal instead of plain flour sometimes, or how much salt is used . brown or white sugar . etc.I suspect my decision has a lot to do with how much I love baking . LOL

pr1ncesswst, Jan 28, 10:27pm
If you buy your base ingredients in bulk it works out cheaper, and using things like milk powder in place of milk etc.In a bakery it costs around $1.50 to make a piece of cake (supermarket block portion) that they then sell to you for around $6.30. For that $6.30 you could make a large cake that'll last the week not just a day.

elliehen, Jan 28, 11:23pm
One idea for omitting the excess of sugar is to make up a very thin watery icing and drizzle it quickly back and forth in a zig-zag pattern.

It adds only a smidgen of sugar but a ton of presentation.

lindylambchops1, Jan 29, 7:06am
Love the above posts.Thanks all some great comments & ideas.

pom-pom, Jan 29, 7:52am
Very much depends what you are making - $11 for a pavlova baseor 1 cup white sugar (60 cents), 3 egg whites ($2 max for free range) 1 tsp each cornflour vanilla and white wine vinegar (30c) plus cooking time inalow oven. I'd always 'bake' meringues!

davidt4, Jan 29, 9:04am
I admire your self-control uli.The restraint that you bring to this thread can't be bought.

elliehen, Jan 29, 9:08am
I have another name for the impulse that makes a poster bump a thread twice in three years just as it is about to expire for lack of general interest.

nik12, Jan 29, 9:44am
I agree with this, way cheaper (and nicer for me to make a pav or a birthday cake). but plain buscuits for the lunch box not so much.
Truffles I always make, would never buy at that price! But couplands gingernuts are awesome at close to a dollar.
Same with things like bacon and egg pie, way cheaper to make. mince pies, not always :-)

motorbo, Jan 29, 10:48am
if you bake yourself
you can ensure you make healthier version
additive free
more filling
and select cheaper recipes

oh and fun.get the kids involved on a sunday arvo.let them learn to appreciate good food and bond with mum at the same him

for example anzac biccies are yummy and made yourself are not expensive and they are way more filling.

flower-child01, Jan 30, 12:10am
I agree with the sugar content, that is why some of my slices are either un-iced, or I have reduced the sugar content in the slice. I have yet to add my adaption to the choc peppermint slice recipe.

stevee6, Jan 30, 12:20am
Another aspect worth considering is whether you often do baking with your kids involved in the process. As a multi-skills based exercise(not to mention good for family communication), it's really valuable and worth the cost of the ingredients versus just picking the product up at a supermarket.

flower-child01, Jan 28, 8:37pm
Definitely by far. I came across the price of a packet of biscuits at the supermarket the other day and nearly flipped at the cost. At http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/ are a diverse range of old fashioned recipes. and all are low cost.