Egg whites

susan21, Oct 27, 12:20am
I have had 3 egg whites in a cup, sitting in the fridge for about a week and a half.Would they still be OK to use.Bother I was going to make meringues but forgot about them.Thanks in advance!!

cookessentials, Oct 27, 12:33am
I think after a week and a halfI would biff them.

ribzuba, Oct 27, 12:49am
egg whites can last for ages, like weeks because of their composition.try david lebovitz websites for some great recipes to use eggs whites but dont make anything like a meringue with them because they need to be fresh for that

nfh1, Oct 27, 12:52am
I would be throwing them away - 10 days is a long time.

cookessentials, Oct 27, 1:10am
Taken from here:
http://www.eggs.org.nz/egg_facts.php

How can I store leftover egg whites and yolks?
You can refrigerate raw whites for up to 4 days and unbroken raw yolks, covered with water, for up to 2 days in a tightly sealed container. If you can't use the yolks quickly enough, hard cook them just as you would cook whole eggs in the shell, drain them well and refrigerate them in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 or 5 days.
For longer storage, freeze raw whites, sugared or salted yolks and cooked yolks for up to 1 year.
To freeze egg whites, break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal the containers tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in an ice cube tray and then transfer to a freezer bag or container. Substitute 2 tablespoons thawed egg white for 1 Large fresh white.

susan21, Oct 27, 2:34am
Thanks!! Drat...... I did have good intentions but they got buried in the back of the fridge.

fruitluva2, Jun 25, 10:15am
2 days is my limit