Kumera and orange soup

cottagerose, Jul 27, 7:48am
x1
Can anyone help me with a recipe for this please

245sam, Jul 27, 7:51am
cottagerose, here's a recipe as it appeared on trademecooks - it's thanks to cookessentials... . .

"Kumara & Orange Soup
INGREDIENTS 600g kumara, peeled and roughly chopoped 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 3 cups chicken stock 1/2 cup orange juice 1 tablespoon grated orange rind freshly ground black pepper 1 cup water orange rind to garnish parsley to garnish INSTRUCTIONS Place the kumara, onion and stock in a saucepan. Cover and simmer gently for 25 - 35 minutes or until the kumara is softend. Purée until smooth. Add the orange juice and rind, pepper and water. Add extra water if a thinner consistency is preffered. Heat. Garnish with orange rind, yoghurt and parsley. ":-))

cottagerose, Jul 27, 8:08am
perfect thanks 245sam.
I will make that. I like the sound of it
Ive made alot of pumpkin soup and vege as well and frozen for quick lunches and would like a change

darlingmole, Jul 27, 9:17am
hmmm well I've made a similar soup but found it quite watery, with no body. My personal preference is to probaly make the same as above but add it to a basic cream/white sauce. Anyone else agree/disagree?

245sam, Jul 27, 10:18am
darlingmole, I can't entirely agree - I've made the following soup many many times and it's definitely not watery BUT we prefer it not as diluted with milk as the recipe states - at most I would use about ½ of the stated milk, and no cream... . .

Alison Holst's Curried Kumara or Parsnip Soup
75g butter
2 garlic cloves
1/2-1 tsp curry powder
500g kumara or parsnip
1½ cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock
up to 3 cups milk
¼ cup cream (optional)

Add the crushed garlic and curry powder to the butter in a large saucepan. Peel the kumara or parsnip with a potato peeler and slice 1cm thick. Cook in the butter without browning, for 1-2 minutes then add the water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes until tender. Stir in chicken stock, then puree and thin to desired thickness with milk. If using it, add the cream and reheat the soup without boiling. Serves 4-6. :-))

fifie, Jul 27, 10:33am
MMM kumera and orange sounds nice, haven't made this before anyone tried roasting the kumera and onion first till soft then adding the stock etc before pureeing, I do this with all my pumpkin, and tomato soups, now and love the extra flavour it gives them...

cottagerose, Jan 10, 6:46pm
I made the first one and it was lovely. Thanks go to cook essentials and 245sam