egg replacement?

madshazza, Feb 19, 8:48am
my sons gf is a vegan, what can i use instead of egg

cookessentials, Feb 19, 9:04am
What can be substituted for eggs in vegan baking recipes?

To replace 1 egg -

* 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons warm water, leave for 10 minutes before using.
* 1/2 banana, mashed or blended.
* 3 Tablespoons applesauce.
* 1/4 cup soy yogurt.
* 2 tablespoons rice or soy milk.
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 2 tablespoons water.
* 1/4 c vegetable oil.
* 1/4 c mashed potatoes, turnips, squash, zucchini or pumpkin.
* 2 Tablespoons water, plus one tablespoon vegetable oil, plus 2 tsp baking powder.

cookessentials, Feb 19, 9:05am
The above was taken from here
http://wiki. answers.com/Q/What_can_be_substituted_for_eggs_i
n_vegan_baking_recipes

summersunnz, Feb 19, 9:09am
A tablespoon of golden syrup works too.

madshazza, Feb 19, 9:11am
cool thanks, now i can try making some more things for her

elliehen, Feb 19, 9:54am
This suggestion is in an old Self Help Wartime Recipes book as a replacement for an egg in a custard.

mvr, Feb 19, 10:03pm
My partner used to be vegan. What sort of things are you wanting to make for her - maybe I can help? ? I make a really good vegan Mac Cheese!

madshazza, Feb 20, 3:59am
probably main meals mostly. iv got alison holsts meals without meat cook book, which is good & shes happy with stirfrys or just having veggies/salad with pasta/chips. iv got a few recipes i like that would be ok if they didnt use eggs.

mvr, Feb 21, 1:47am
Most supermarkets these days have the 'Frys' range of frozen food, and they are vegan! There are crispy coated schnitzels, burger patties, mince. They are a green box. Also New Way pastry sheets are vegan, and most filo pastry is too. I used to make a nice cannelloni by using the dried cannelloni shells, whizzing up silken tofu with some cooked onion/garlic/spinach and stuffing the tofu with it, lay the shells in a dish and add tinned tomatoes or a pasta sauce. Olivani spread is dairy free but Olivio isnt. Watch bread too as some have milk and some dont. Asian food stores are good for sauces - you can get a vegetarian/vegan Oyster sauce which is nice on veges.

frances1266, Feb 21, 3:05am
mve - I would like the vegan mac cheese recipe please.

mvr, Feb 22, 6:11pm
Sorry I'm not too good on exact quantities, buts its pretty simple.
I make a basic sauce from Olivani, flour and soy milk (melt aabout a Tblsnp Olivani, add a Tblspn flour, cook that for a minute or so then add soy milk to make a thick sauce).
To this add some savoury yeast flakes (cpl of Tblspns maybe up to 4) and mustard powder to taste (umm maybe a tspn or 2), and salt & pepper. You can get savoury yeast flakes in the supermarket - Healtheries brand it'll either be with the baking goods or the vitamins, its a little greenish box. The are really good for B vitamins etc and have a nice savoury taste.
My partner really loved it with heaps of parsley sprinkled on top and a crispy vegan schitzel chopped up into it, nice creamy comfort food lol !

mvr, Feb 22, 6:13pm
haha oh of course - you then mix the sauce and the cooked macaroni together! ! The sauce is good on brocolli and cauliflower too:)

mvr, Feb 22, 6:16pm
Another thing we used to get friends and family to bring back from Aussie, was Tofutti Vegan Cheese slices, the Mozerella one. It actually melts! great on top of cannelloni etc. The vegan cheese you get in NZ is yuk. I think the SAFE shop in Auckland sells the Tofutti Mozerella slices.

frances1266, Aug 30, 11:42am
Tks for the lasagne recipe