Microwave porridge help

raewyn64, May 30, 7:47am
The last 2 mornings I have made us basic porridge - rolled oats, milk powder and water - stove top where I boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
DH wants to have some for breakfast before work and so I thought microwave cooking would be easier for him but I don't know how to translate the basic recipe above to microwave. What sort of cooking time is required and does it need stiring at anytime or do we just put the oats, milk powder and water in a bowl and cook. Do we use the same quantity of ingredients as stove top?
Thanks so much

ttwisty, May 30, 7:54am
hi i got this of the uncle tobys milk oaties pack

Add 1/3 c milk oaties and 1 c cold water to a bowl.
Cook on high for 1 1/2 mins and then stir.
Cook for a forther 1 min or until desired consistency

raewyn64, May 30, 7:56am
thanks so much - dh will be very happy.

245sam, May 30, 8:00am
raewyn64, most packets have both stove-top and microwave instructions as does our current packet of Milk Oaties which my DH occasionally makes for his breakfast. So that you can compare any differences in quantities, etc. here are both options from that packet... . .

STOVE-TOP
Bring ½ cup Milk Oaties and 1 cup cold water to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 minute, stirring, then serve. To prepare with milk: Bring 1/2 cup Milk Oaties and 1 cup low-fat milk to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 1 minute, stirring, then serve.

MICROWAVE
Add ½ Milk Oaties and 1 cup cold water to a bowl. Cook on HIGH for 1½ minutes, and then stir. Cook for a further 1 minute. Continue to cook for 30 second bursts or until desired consistency is reached.
To prepare with milk:Add ½ cup Milk Oaties and 1 cup low-fat milk to a bowl. Cook on HIGH for 1½ minutes, and then stir. Cook for a further 1 minute. Continue to cook for 30 second bursts or until desired consistency is reached.

Hope that helps. :-))

raewyn64, May 30, 8:04am
Thanks 235sam - I was just using a bag of rolled oats from Homebrand and they only had a stovetop basic recipe on the back - I haven't had porridge for years and yesterday was cold so I thought I would give it a try using what I had in the cupboard - and it worked enough that DH wanted it again this morning :)
I was surprised how much more filling it is than toast

alebix, May 30, 9:05am
I use the same as 245sams recipe...

Works every time

pickles7, May 30, 10:04am
cook it for him and all He will need to do is reheat. perfect. . You could get up to a mic to clean. put it in a large bowl to reheat.

kwxing, May 30, 10:20am
for a change roughly dice up dried apricots and add to the mix... so must cheaper than the prepackaged ones

raewyn64, Jun 21, 9:01am
pickles7 - how do you reheat it in the micorwave? Do I cook it as per the recipies above then what does he have to do the next morning to reheat?
Thanks so much everyone.