Pumpkin soup

debnkarl, May 12, 1:12am
anyone have a yummy pumpkin soup recipe please ?
thats easy
tia

245sam, May 12, 1:20am
debnkarl, you'll find a choice of pumpkin soup recipes from earlier threads on the same topic if you try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using 'pumpkin soup' as the Keyword and 'Anytime' as the Date posted option. :-))

margyr, May 12, 1:56am
chop an onion and some garlic, cook it slightly till clear in some butter or oil, add chopped pumpkin and salt and pepper, cover with water or stock and cook till pumpkin soft, either use a potato masher or a stick whizz and mash all together, you can add cream and nutmeg just before serving, or when in the bowl a dollop of sour cream and some bacon on top.

nauru, May 12, 4:32am
This is a real easy recipe and very nice.

1/2 large pumpkin peeled & chopped, 2-3 carrots chopped, 1 large onion chopped, 1 stick celery chopped, 2-3 cloves garlic chopped, 2 teasp turmeric, 1 teasp gd cumin, 1/2 -1 teasp gd coriander, 1 teasp curry powder, 4 bay leaves, bouquet garni (optional), 1 ltr stock, salt & pepper, chopped fresh coriander and parsley, oil, 1 cup milk & cream mixed.

Fry onion & garlic in a little oil, add spices and stir fry. Add pumpkin, carrot, celery and mix together. Add stock & herbs and stir, bring to boil then turn heat to simmer & cook until veges are soft. Remove herbs and blend soup until smooth. Return to pan, add fresh herbs and milk mixture and season to taste, stir until combined. If soup is thinner than you like, thicken with either a little cornflour or potato starch, if too thick thin with a little more milk.

stormbaby, May 12, 7:11am
My fav is roast garlic and pumpkin soup. Pretty easy (I googled! ). I cook up a whole pumpkin, peeled and sliced with copious amounts of garlic (unpeeled) in my big electric frypan. Remove the garlic, crush and peel. Garlic comes out sweet this way. The pumpkin then goes in a pot with loads of hot chicken stock, cooked crumbled bacon, fried onion and tumeric. Then it gets blended when cooled. absolutely devine.

bengals, May 12, 11:52pm
yay stormbaby - I use home made chicken stock too "makes" it.

marcs, May 13, 7:01am
Pumpkin roasted oven then the flesh scrapped. Saute an onion in butter then add one diced potato, cooked pumpkin and chicken or vegetable stock. Cook till spuds are tender then blend. Season with salt and pepper. Can add little curry powder if you like but I don't. I find that the potato improves the flavour a lot and the consistancy of the soup.

calista, May 13, 7:25pm
I had pumpkin soup flavoured with cumin when I was out yesterday. It was really yummy.

Marcs I never though of using potato, but I'm going to try it as I know it makes a sifference to the chickpea soup I make - Thanks.

stormbaby, May 14, 5:38am
Yup, its definately the difference between good soup and blah soup. I actually buy those cooked chooks from the supermarket now, works out at $18 for two from Countdown as opposed to buying two raw, cooking them yourself and wasting the electricity. We have the hot chicken one night (I always put the crock pot on high before I go out to get them or ring and get someone here to put it on and simply put the chickens in to keep hot till tea time). The left over chook goes into chicken/cream/bacon/mushroom casserole with rice the next day or made into pies for the freezer. The bones and carcass plus onions, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic etc goes back in the crockpot and I get over 3 litres of stock. Put it in the fridge when cool, the next day skim off any fat, put into containers and freeze.
Homemade soup made with real stock is devine!

feisha, May 14, 7:14am
I always use home made stock if possible, either chicken (from any raw bones) or ham stock from bacon or ham bones. They each make quite different tasting pumpkin soup. Also I always add one potato, one kumara and an apple, plus other veg as desired, and of course heaps of pumpkin. I always saute my onion in butter till clear before adding stock and other veg. We eat a lot of pumpkin soup so I quite like to use slightly different veg each time, as well as the basic ones, for varied tastes.

feisha, May 14, 10:09am
When Iuse the dark green squash for soup I never peel them, just wash, and scoop out the seeds. Chop into cubes and simmer slowly for 1/2 hour. When you use the blender at end of cooking, the skins just disappear into the soup, easy and yummy. Dont peel the apple or potato either, just core and cube. However you do need to peel the grey pumpkin if you are using those, or you end up with a soup full of transparent inediblepieces of skin! !

marcs, May 2, 8:48am
Calista I couldn't make pumpkin soup for the life of me. The one day I saw something and though what happens if I put a potato in it. It was the best pumpkin soup I ever made. He loves it.