N.Z. Womens Weekly cook book

roseann48, Apr 12, 11:03pm
The late 1960 = early 1970 . From memory the cover was brown & had a pic of a pav decorated with strawberries. I have misplaced the hot cross bun recipe, wonder if anyone is able to help. Would be much appreciated

herbiem, Apr 13, 1:40am
Is this the one?
1 Quantity Bread Roll Recipe,
1½ tsp Cinnamon
¼ Cup Peel
¾ tsp Nutmeg
¾ Cup Currants

herbiem, Apr 13, 1:54am
prepare the basic bread roll recipe, Sieve the cinnamon & nutmeg with the flour.
After the 1st of flour, stir in the currants and peel. Add the 2nd measure of flour
& proceed as for the basic dough. Divide the dough into 2 sections
& roll each into a long cylinder 18 inches long.
Cut into 18 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball between lightly floured hands.
Place on greased baking trays allowing room for rising. Leave uncovered to rise.
Bake @400/420F for 25-30 min

roseann48, Apr 13, 5:17am
herbiem I don't think this is the one but thanks for replying

herbiem, Apr 13, 7:15am
Its from the same book you mentioned

herbiem, Apr 13, 7:24am
Have had a look thru the book and that was the only Hot Cross Bun recipe in there. Sorry roseann.

245sam, Apr 13, 9:53am
roseann48, there were 2 NZWW Cookbooks in the 1970's - The N.Z. Woman’s Weekly Cookbook and The N.Z. Woman’s Weekly Favourite Recipes. The recipe in #2 and #3 is in the first of those books and the following recipe is from the second.

HOT CROSS BUNS
100g butter
½ cup sugar
1¼ cups milk
1 sachet dried yeast
2 eggs
4½-5 cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cloves
1 cup currants
¼ cup finely chopped peel

Place butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Heat the milk and pour over butter and sugar, stirring to dissolve them. Allow to cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle in the yeast and allow to froth. Add the beaten eggs. Sift the flour, salt, spice and cloves together. Add half the dry ingredients to the yeast mixture. Beat well with a wooden spoon until a smooth batter is formed. Add the currants and peel. Work in remaining sifted ingredients to form a soft, but manageable dough. Turn on to a floured board and knead until smooth. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
Turn the dough on to a floured board and knead lightly. Cut into 16 pieces. Shape into balls and place on greased trays, allowing room for rising. Leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes until double in size. Cut a deep cross in each bun almost through to the tray. Let rise for another 15 minutes.
Bake at 220ºC for 15-20 minutes.

Glaze:
1 tbsp each of sugar and milk
Dissolve the sugar in the milk. When the buns are cooked, brush each one with the sugar glaze and return to oven for a few seconds.

Icing:
½ cup icing sugar
2 tsp water
pink food colouring
Sift the icing sugar and mix to a thin icing with water. Colour it pale pink. Dribble a little of the icing in the cross of each bun.
Makes 16.

Hope that helps. :-))

roseann48, Oct 4, 1:43am
I do recall now I had 2 books - I think this is the recipe 245sam thank you. Years ago I went thru all my recipe books & copied just my favourite recipes & then gave the books away. This recipe is one I seem to of misplaced.