Masterchef Australia 2017

Alas I see that next week they are bringing back some of the eliminated contestants. That always happens and it just drags things out.

Chef_davidt4, Jul 1, 10:37 am

Oh great. I wonder how many episodes will be wasted bringing the chosen one/s back into the fold.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 1, 10:42 am

Damn *groans*
I agree with whoever commented that the format is tired . dragging it out too much over the last few series . it's becoming a tad tedious, which is a shame.
If they dropped the team challenges, that would speed it up & not leave one poor individual going home because of a group 'stuff up'.

Chef_samanya, Jul 1, 11:32 am

Can only agree, loses momentum and I wonder how the surviving contestants really feel, when the eliminated reappear, sort of discounts their efforts doesn't it? Not to mention as others have said, dragging the whole thing on way to long, and possibly losing viewers in the process.

Chef_strowan1, Jul 1, 12:10 pm

I'll still watch it because they have me hooked into 'favourite' contestants & I enjoyed Yotam Ottolenghi's input & presence.
Atm I have one absolute favourite & several others that I'd like to see do well.
As for the others returning, I guess the remaining contestants would be expecting it, as it's been done before. They seem to all have a genuine rapport.

Chef_samanya, Jul 1, 12:30 pm

I'm really happy with the dragged out formula. The only thing that would make me happier is if it became Mastergardener.
If anything can stop Criminal Minds and all of those other dire blood spattered, psychopath obsessed american cop, hospital or forensic pathology shows that are trotted out on what used to be the 'quality' channel of TVNZ then bring it on.

Chef_lou-ie, Jul 1, 2:16 pm

Tamara was irritating me a bit with her perfect grooming, now I find her earnest and personality a bit more endearing. She has good cooking talent too.
Billie from a few series ago is pretty much my favourite contestant ever though. She was very, very cool, calm and a super talent.

Chef_lou-ie, Jul 1, 2:20 pm

Ah yes, I remember Billie. She was great. I wonder how she enjoyed working in Heston's restaurant.

Chef_dolphin19, Jul 2, 1:04 pm

My favourite went home last night.

Chef_samanya, Jul 2, 2:01 pm

I really must try to catch up. I've just watched the immunity challenge with the young chef from O.My. His dish looked superb! What a good idea for the tomato season.

Chef_davidt4, Jul 2, 5:18 pm

yes that girl that got the fish, she was very lucky, but its got to run out soon.
I hate the knife draw especially if there is only three to chose from.
They should always use the sack draw.
I was surprised that team lost they did very well.
mm thinking Callum might win

Chef_slimgym, Jul 3, 7:09 am

I think the doctors luck must be due to run out. (Indian guy?) You think he's going to lose then he managed to pull something together and stays.

Chef_coolnzmum, Jul 5, 6:26 am

Last night Ben was the invisible one. Didn't see a single thing he cooked.

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 5, 8:29 am

Nor did we see young Callun (spelling?)

Chef_mindi1, Jul 5, 11:11 am

I missed last night - who went home?

Chef_pixiegirl, Jul 5, 3:57 pm

Gosh there was no way they were going to give top spot or the power pin to that extremely well groomed (IMO) Malaysian Accountant Diana even though she was the only contestant in the top 3 both times in both challenges

Chef_cor.-., Jul 5, 4:40 pm

Bad form.

Chef_awoftam, Jul 5, 6:32 pm

I was expecting Diana to get the power pin 📍 was surprised when she didn't get it.

Chef_coolnzmum, Jul 5, 7:10 pm

Creameux disasters! How did that cake make it through the rigours of the selection process for the programme and test kitchen?

Why would the programme makers chose a cake doomed to failure within the allocated time?

Chef_lou-ie, Jul 5, 9:54 pm

I wonder if George's absence "because he was a bit under the weather" was due to a night on the town with guest Judge Curtis Stone, I expect he's going to be upset when he returns and learns Tamara's been sent home.

They always announce that "you'll be going home" like it's a fate worse than death, makes me giggle, what's so terrible about being at home, most of the contestants say they miss their homes and loved ones

Chef_cor.-., Jul 5, 10:17 pm

I think she's the dark horse

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 6, 7:32 am

What's the betting she'll be right back with the "second chance" episode tonight?

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 6, 9:12 am

Ads last night for the return contestant showed both her & the bearded guy - Sam?. Ray seems to do well following a recipe - it's his own creativity that is lacking.(just remember I've only been watching for the last 4 eliminations)

Chef_maplekiwi1, Jul 6, 9:35 am

Also I was still wondering - why a bottom 4? I was hoping for a double elimination.

Chef_maplekiwi1, Jul 6, 9:38 am

A double elimination would make too much sense.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 6, 9:56 am

Highly likely.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 6, 9:57 am

I said to the other half yesterday, the judges will bring Tamara back regardless.

Was I right or was I right, :-/
I think the other two had far better desserts and Tamara's looked the least impressive.
A right jack up

Chef_jia5, Jul 6, 8:45 pm

Agree, they needed a 4th impartial Judge to convince me, George really dislikes chilli and anything with heat that makes his head perspire usually, so to make that the winning dish. ? yeah/nah

Ohh but that pic of rotund Bryan when he was a boy, so cute! Looked exactly like that child comedian in that comedy Ken

Chef_cor.-., Jul 6, 9:00 pm

Well there was a surprise - not. We didn't see Benjamin or Benita's dishes in the first round. I'd at least like to know what they cooked!

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 6, 10:09 pm

The pretty berry dessert looked far more appealing than Tamara's winning dull brown one. A jack up indeed.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 6, 11:08 pm

Yep she was a rigged one last night. As stakes so high for the contestants it should have been a blind taste test. Felt for several of the entrants their disappointment was palpable.

Chef_strowan1, Jul 7, 7:04 am

Yep. If they hadn't made ever so helpful suggestions to Tamara about chilli overload, she wouldn't have made the grade. Rigged.

Chef_bedazzledjewels, Jul 7, 7:05 am

The favouritism is oh so blatant!

Chef_just4jess, Jul 7, 7:59 am

I desperately wanted to eat that pink one, total eye candy. the winning pudd looked like a last minute hash together

Chef_rainrain1, Jul 7, 8:01 am

I was so disappointed for Bryan. He'd gained so much in confidence and the ability to discriminate about what to put on the plate. His dishes were superb.

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 7, 8:13 am

It has happened from the first program, I don't give the program any priorities.

Chef_pickles7, Jul 7, 8:16 am

Yes total jack up. I though Samuel's looked more appealing. Did agree the other 2 desserts didn't look strong enough. I would have been happy to see either Bryan or the other woman win.

Is Tamara going to endlessly make dumplings like last year's teacher's pet Elise endlessly made variations of the same dessert?

Chef_maplekiwi1, Jul 7, 8:54 am

I'm sure most of us on here could live without it and don't take it that seriously! But since it's in our faces for months, at prime viewing time, it lends itself very nicely to being picked apart.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 7, 9:24 am

LOL agreed! I still watch it because they never set up a nasty competitive vibe between the contestants. The moment that creeps in I'll be turning it off and reading a book. The current format may be irritating (that music!) but I still learn a lot from it.

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 7, 9:36 am

The first series had that. I think they have gone too far the other way now & the endless hugging gets a bit much.

I'm wondering if it was meant to be a double elimination on that pressure test now & it was changed when Ray did well. He certainly wasn't shown getting any praise!

Chef_maplekiwi1, Jul 7, 10:00 am

I didn't watch the earlier series. I was turned off with all the back biting. The other series I'm enjoying is "Yes, Chef" in the afternoons on TV1. The technique demonstrations by the guest chefs are really informative. One of them made mushrooms on toast this week. It was an eye opener, seeing it done professionally.

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 7, 10:13 am

So Tamara's back in elimination again, no doubt to be saved again.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 8, 8:54 am

Glad to hear the Judges heap praise on Sarah as a serious contender last night after they tried her beef and xo sauce, she's such a hard worker in Team challenges and always so so enthusiastic - Diana wasn't mentioned by name though.

I felt Arum ambushed Ben's leadership by setting the menu. And young Michelle impressed me for the 1st time, she must have a fantastic palette to have picked that the apricots just didn't work with her dish

Chef_cor.-., Jul 8, 10:11 am

Yay!

Hooray.
Ray!

He should have gone yonks ago, and other excellent cooks went home instead.

Chef_autumnwinds, Jul 8, 9:45 pm

She produced one of the best dishes.
As did the "dark horse", Michelle.

ETA: It's quiet, tonight.
Guess everyone's watching the footy. )

Chef_autumnwinds, Jul 8, 9:46 pm

Would she have, though, if Matt hadn't stepped in at the beginning and told her that cherries and onions don't go together, and to fix her sauce? It gave her plenty of time to alter what she was going to serve up. I didn't see any of the judges give the 2 struggling guys that kind of a leg up, at least not in time to correct anything.

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 8, 11:17 pm

I fell asleep! Last thing I remember was Ray staring disconsolately at his ingredients.

He was clearly out of his depth.

Who else was in the bottom?

Chef_maplekiwi1, Jul 9, 6:22 am

Sam and Tamara were marginal with how long their meat was cooked, but Ray was clearly bottom with an uninspired, messy dish of fish and chips. He was lucky to have lasted so long. The others were all great. Arum pulled back from a disaster - last minute save.

Chef_devonwrecked, Jul 9, 8:15 am

Who's up for the coming week with Heston The Wacky?

Chef_kaddiew, Jul 9, 9:04 am

Depends what's on the other channel LOL

Chef_devonwrecked, Aug 5, 1:57 pm