Why you should quit salad

Page 1 / 2
uli, Aug 26, 1:31am

lilyfield, Aug 26, 1:51am
this has been my sentiment for ages. lots of money for very little nourishment. I will still eat it, as it fills my tummy momentarily.
I think the writer of this article is 100% right.We can also get our necessary roughage from other foods.
Besides cucumber- watermelon is another prime example of expensive packed "water" . Takes up heaps of valuable land to grow a "non food"

jwjmummy, Aug 26, 2:01am
Wow - it hadn't ever occurred to me before. Thanks for sharing Uli, it is certainly "food for thought".

lythande1, Aug 26, 3:27am
LOL, we gave up growing it ages ago.
Not cause of the planet, but because you end up with loads of it, it goes to seed, oozes in the fridge.
Now we just do cucumbers (mini) tomatoes, radish etc. and skip the leaves.
Silverbeet (also mini) is good value though, takes ages to go to seed and grows well, we have enough without excess with the small variety.
And yes, we did try the pick as you go lettuce too. nope, still too much.

kaddiew, Aug 26, 3:47am
lythande1 wrote:
LOL, we gave up growing it ages ago.
Not cause of the planet, but because you end up with loads of it, it goes to seed, oozes in the fridge.
And yes, we did try the pick as you go lettuce too. nope, still too much.
quote]

Here's an "idea" for the glut of lettuces in the garden. I watched an old Jamie Oliver show last night where he made various 'salad-leaf dishes - and while the credits were rolling at the end it showed his gardener hurling iceberg lettuces in the air for Mr Oliver to shoot to bits with a rifle.

wheelz, Aug 26, 4:15am
Hmm. Maybe so. But I still like to eat it, as a salad or in sandwich type meals.
All in moderation is my rule.

awoftam, Aug 26, 4:38am
I am sure the few I grow each year do no harm to anyone, and I never have a glut of them as I plant selectively - I have to as I have a very small garden. And I love salads! Its like anything tho - I wouldn't try to live on it.

uli, Aug 26, 5:10am
Personally I grow only loose leaf lettuces and of course lambs lettuce for winter. I never have a "glut" and if I have the pigs are so happy! :)

I won't go into the idea of the "go forth and multiply" story - that is what makes it important to grow carbs and calories, so we can feed another billion or 5 in years to come.

kay141, Aug 26, 7:14am
OMG. Just another stupid article from America that is published by a newspaper which never bothers to check their facts.

awoftam, Aug 26, 7:15am
Best one I have seen was an article here in the local rag last Xmas warning of the risk of rabies LOL.

kay141, Aug 26, 7:24am
Hard to tell who checks these imported articles for accuracy or relevance. If it is done and that seems unlikely, it may be done by the same people who wrote the Health and Safety bill. Absolute garbage.

rainrain1, Aug 26, 7:25am
Couldn't do without my bacon and lettuce sandwich. nope

wendalls, Aug 26, 7:38am
I have thought this for years too. And since I don't really like any of those 4 veg then good! The crunchy texture the only good thing plus I like cucumber only with yoghurt. What is supposed to be nutritious is spinach so I have always just bought spinach leaves for our salads. With orange or kiwifruit to provide vit.c which helps the absorption of iron. I tried growing it and it got diseased. Might try again this year.
I just cooked 4 pork steaks to go with spinach salad. Husband arrived home, and I had to pop out and get child from sports team pizza dinner. Got home and he'd eaten his share,my share, and more. Where's the piggy icon when you need it? Picky, sick child picked over his small portion as usual. Had to take some of miss 13's share which was still uneaten while she showered after a wet night at netball.

wendalls, Aug 26, 7:44am
Well it would be good to see some articles promoting these foods as nutritional to prove otherwise then. Although there is probably a wide variation in nutritional content of foods depending on what they are grown in and what fertilisers are added. I don't know much about it but How about hydroponic lettuces? Must have chemicals added to the water for nutrients.
I might add that I read this about 20 years ago about lettuces and it seemed as plausible then as it does now.

valentino, Aug 26, 7:53am
Hmmm, salads have their place just like seasonings.

Imagine it was all the spices instead of salads being investigated and being stated no good. They all have their places and uses.

If eating salads helps to keep nourishment levels down then so be it, too much nourishment is no good either.

And the number of dressings too that people use, gee it is never ending.

One thing for sure, we can never do without water.

Cheers

sampa, Aug 26, 7:56am
BLT - 'L'less wouldn't be much cop. sad.

sampa, Aug 26, 7:58am

wendalls, Aug 26, 9:05am
Yes have to agree that most probably don't drink enough water so it has its use!

beaker59, Aug 26, 9:41am
I wonder about the point of the article, crunch texture shouldn't be written off so lightly.

I am always amused when people site over abundance and waste when growing salad greens, plant more often and use excess for mulch, save seed.

Salad is part of the balance that makes a balanced diet.

stefanie, Aug 26, 11:54am
I agree that a lot of salad ingredients don't have a calorie value, but I doubt it doesn't live up to the vitamin/nutritional values (we have a big veggie garden). Who on earth eats to only satisfy the perfect diet/body requirements?

gaspodetwd, Aug 26, 7:53pm
It's well known that iceberg lettuce is nutritionally low and mainly water - but what about all the other varieties? I rarely buy iceberg as I like my lettuce to actually taste of something. They also pack a punch nutritionally.

The healthy / less obese nations consume a huge amount of the salad vegetables mentioned. I think I'll stick to salad.

raloki, Aug 26, 8:20pm
Interesting article. We do all need water. I buy organic salad greens when I can, not iceberg lettuce. Last night as a side to the meal I drizzled just the leaves with a bit of olive oil and squeeze of tangerine juice, which is one of the nicest dressings I have had and very simple. I have a son who I feel doesn't drink enough water, so if this gets extra water in to him, all well and good. Have grown my own leaves as well and excess either goes to the worm bins to make fertiliser or to the chooks to make eggs.

samanya, Aug 26, 11:46pm
Well said!
No waste here . I give away excess, if any & the outer leaves go to the chooks & stalks to the compost.

davidt4, Aug 26, 11:57pm
Lettuce can be cooked - it makes a lovely soup and I make a tasty beef and lettuce keema when we have a surplus in the garden.

sampa, Aug 27, 3:11am
Lots of Asian recipes that add lettuce to things at the last minute. Nigela has a tasty sounding recipe for poached baby cos lettuces. And they make great wrappers for other foods too. Although the vegetarian in the family rates them as 'valueless' food items and much prefers baby spinach on his sammies. I enjoy the variety we have access to these days - along with the mixed salad greens when I'm in the mood. Roast chicken and salad for dinner tonight which will make a nice change from the parade of cooked veg that winter tends to bring. :) But I might sneak in some roast potatoes . cause I can. ;-)