Dough-boys in crockpot

whistlingwings, Sep 9, 8:49am
Cooking a stew in the crockpot tomorrow. With the crockpot on high, do you think I could add 'dough-boys' to the stew say an hour before serving or would the stew not be boiling enough to allow the 'dough-boys' to cook and they would become just a soggy mess.

245sam, Sep 9, 9:09am
whistlingwings, although I haven't done so myself, from reading recipes I am aware that dumplings can indeed be cooked in a crockpot/slow cooker. I'm not sure that the dumplings would need a whole hour to cook though, so if you'd like me to I will check my recipe books for you for a recipe or cooking times etc. :-))

klc1, Sep 9, 9:19am
I always add the dumplings into the crock pot for the last half an hour. And keep it on high temperature.

whistlingwings, Sep 9, 9:32am
Thank you for your replies. I haven't made dumplings for years. Will just an ordinary scone mixture be ok or do you klc1 have an extra favourite recipe that you might share. Thanks,

klc1, Sep 9, 10:15am
My tried and true recipe is -
1 cup of self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of margarine
1/2 a cup of milk
Sift flour and salt, rub in margarine. Add milk stirring quickly to make a soft sticky dough.
Roll into balls, cook for half an hour.
Makes about 12.

whistlingwings, Sep 10, 1:01am
Thank you klc1 for your recipe which I will try for tea tonight. Might add some rosemary, chives and oregano which I have growing in my garden. I will let you know what they taste like with the herbs added.

lofty010247, Sep 10, 2:06am
did them earlier this week . instruction was to turn cooker to high an hour out from serving and drop the dumplings in 30mins from serving ie 30mins cooking on Hi . Haven't had then in years but will certainly do again

whistlingwings, Sep 11, 4:07am
Delicious . Made stew and dumplings last night. (klc1 recipe with added herbs) Delicious. Even the grandchildren loved them. They were light and yummy. The crockpot was on high for most of the afternoon, so everything was nice and hot. Dropped the dumplings into the stew , covered the crockpot with tinfoil and then the lid - cooked for half an hour. Took the lid off and went . wow. They were perfect and dare I say it again - just delicious.

klc1, Sep 11, 5:25am
So glad they worked out.

awoftam, Sep 11, 5:45am
I just lurrrrrrrrrrrve dumplings. One of the things about Winter I look forward to

fifie, Oct 28, 5:14pm
Nothing better than dumplings in a bubbling stew when its cold. Luuuuuuuv plain, herb, or pumpkin ones.