Very old fashioned chocolate cake recipe

marcs, Jan 7, 7:48am
I am looking for a very old chocolate cake recipe. I have unfortunately thrown out the quantities but have the method. It is a chocolate cake which has golden syrup in it. If anyone has a similar recipe probably from Aunt Daisy's book or very old Edmonds books can you please put it up on here.

Here is what I have left.

Beat butter, sugar, egg (so must have been one egg). Add 1/2 cup milk and golden syrup together to the butter mix. Mix flour and baking powder together and add to the butter. Mix bi carb and cocoa and add the boiling milk (must be a second lot of milk in the recipe). Blend with the mix and beat. Bake for hour and half at 180c

buzzy110, Jan 7, 7:56am
Chocolate Cake - Number 1

Ingredients
1T Butter
1T Golden Syrup
½ cup Milk
1 cup Flour
1T Cocoa
½ cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
½tspn Baking Soda
1tsp Baking Powder

Method:
Cream Butter and Sugar
Add Golden Syrup and Egg
Then Milk with Soda dissolved in it
Lastly flour, Baking Powder and 1T Cocoa (I presume these will be sifted together)
Bake in one tin at 375dF (I presume it is farenheit) for ½ hour

Ice and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Variation - Coffee Cake. Substitute 1T Coffee Essence for the Cocoa and add 2 extra Ts Flour

Note: She does not say to beat in the ingredients as you add them but I suppose that is what you are supposed to do

buzzy110, Jan 7, 8:02am
Chocolate Cake Foolproof - Number 2
Ingredients:
¼lb Butter
Small teacup Sugar
1 Egg
2T Golden Syrup
2 cups Flour
2T Cocoa
1 tspn Baking Soda
1 cup Milk
Essence to flavour
1 tspn Baking Powder

Method:
Beat Butter, sugar and Egg (I think she means cream butter and sugar and add egg but don't take my word on this)
Add melted Golden Syrup
Then Flour and Cocoa sifted together
Dissolve soda in Milk, add and beat well until smooth and light
Lastly add Baking Powder
Bake in moderate oven about 3/4 hour in a 12 X 9 in tin

Keeps well

p.s. I will not be held responsible for the measuring of ingredients. I have no idea what a small teacup of anything is

No oven temperature given but at a guess I'd say 375dF again which converts to: 190.5dC

¼ 1b = 4oz = 113.4g

I do find that oven temp is not always critical with chocolate cakes. I sometimes cook mine slower and longer to prevent that dreaded rise-up in the middle depending on which shape baking dish I'm using or if it is tin or ceramic. I love ceramic. Things cook much more evenly.

buzzy110, Jan 7, 8:02am
Hope one of these is what you are looking for. They come from my Mother's copy of Aunt Daisy's cookbook

marcs, Jan 7, 9:54am
Thanks buzzy. I think the second one is the one.

wasala, Feb 4, 10:18am
Buzzy - have you read 'The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs Beeton' by Kathryn Hughes? I think you would enjoy it. I got mine from book depository.co.uk