Sugar alternatives and baking.

dibble35, Sep 27, 6:40am
Im trying to consume as little excess sugar as possible to see if it helps with my headaches. Ive suspected for a long time that to much sugar gives me headaches. I've cut out all the usual bad things i eat, chocolate, lollies, biscuits, baking, puddings. I am struggling with something to eat at morning tea time. Im so used to having a muesli bar (something easy and sweet), Any recipes for something I can bake myself, or suggestions for a naturally sweet/grainy/nutty bar appreciated. Thnx

awoftam, Sep 27, 8:10am
What about a small banana? Sweet and filling.

wendalls, Sep 27, 9:42am
Yup. I'd even say a big banana to fill you up more and get awayt from the muesli bar.or almonds.

dibble35, Sep 27, 7:12pm
Thanks, yes ive been buying more sugar free/unsweet snacks such as almonds, crackers etc, eating more fruit. But i was hoping for a nutty grainy type bar made with stevia or maybe coconut sugar, or dried fruit. I know the dried fruit is full of sugar but so far it hasnt triggered a headache. thnx

wendalls, Sep 27, 7:44pm
I was making one from the wicked well-being website with dates as the sweetener. If I can find if I'll post it. Meanwhile I have a magazine nearby with this:
200g medjool dates
125g almonds roasted
142g packet berry blend mix
1 T coconut oil warmed till melted
1/4 T vanill paste
Small pinch salt
Process dates and almonds for 1-2 mins till likecrough breadcrumbs . add other ingredients till they stick together. Press into lined container a nfridge for 45 mins. Slice and store in fridge.

gabbysnana, Sep 27, 7:57pm
once you come off sugar you will find you dont need snacks its your sabotage brain telling you to eat snacks. If you have protein and fats in your three meals a day, you dont crave sugar or snacks. You have still got the i want something sweet mentality. Try lindt 95% chocolate. No sugar or very little.

gabbysnana, Sep 27, 8:00pm
in the no sugar section of any supermarket you will find chocolate chip bscuits in a blue packet, zero sugar. Marshmellows zero sugar.

dibble35, Sep 28, 5:44am
Really. great, what have they got in them them? I really dont want to replace with artificial sweeteners, i know theres more natural alternatives out there and hoping these would be made of one of them

awoftam, Sep 28, 6:23am
Dibble, coconut sugar is no better for you than white table sugar. Same with agave. Chock full of fructose. If you are serious about cutting back on sugar do some reading to widen your knowledge, as only then will you be enabled to make really informed decisions about what goes in your mouth. The food industry is very cunning as getting you to pay outrageous sums of money for 'healthy' food that is simply not.

There are recipes online as well, so you can make your own bars and things.

geldof, Sep 28, 8:22am
Definitely

sampa, Sep 28, 10:06am
Not exactly what you have asked about but try Googling - cinnamon to cut sugar cravings - may help with other aspects. Works for me with certain things. Hope it's helpful.

ellie04, Sep 28, 10:00pm
Cookies - more on the healthier side of things!
Ingredients:
• ½ cup coconut oil, melted
• 2 tbls maple syrup
• 1 tbsp water
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 1 ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats
• ¼ cup sunflower seeds
• ¼ cup nut butter (almond, peanut, hazelnut, cashew, etc.)
• 3 tbls ground flax seed
• ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup unsweetened, organic applesauce
• 1 tbsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• ¼ cup chopped Brazil nuts
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup, applesauce, water and vanilla
2. Add oats, sunflower seeds, nut butter, flax seed, chocolate chips, cinnamon and salt to bowl. Combine well.
3. Stir in the Brazil nuts
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
5. Form about 24 balls with the batter. Place the balls on a parchment-lined tray or cookie sheet. Flatten each ball with a fork to make a cookie shape.
6. Freeze or refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.

dibble35, Sep 29, 4:44am
Now they sound quite yummy, and not to much sugary stuff in them. Better than my muesli bars anyway. thanks

dibble35, Sep 29, 4:54am
Thanks, at this stage im just seeing how my body responds (headaches) to cutting out standard white sugar - or rather the amount of it I eat. Im more aware of how well i've been feeling since cutting out all the sweet things I usually love to eat. I've had 2 headaches in the last 2 1/2 weeks, one was after I made and sampled a apple crunch pudding I made for the guys at work, the other was after a artificially sweetened energy drink. I had a small amount of honey on a crumpet last night as I was craving something sweet and I woke up this morning really hungry but no headache - its all quite interesting to me. I'll keep going with trying diff snacks, that arnt sweetened. I know dried fruit is full of fructose but i seem to be ok with it. It amazes me how some dried fruits have extra sugar added in. I dont know why they feel the need to do that. But anyway, so far things have improved, hopefully they'll continue to do so.

awoftam, Sep 29, 5:36am
Big ups to you - I think its awesome that you are listening to your body. it must be horrible to suffer from headaches. I don't mean to sound like a Nana but if you haven't already it might pay to be checked out by a Doc in case it is something more nefarious - don't want to muck around with the ol' head.

If you like something sweet on crumpets etc try brown rice syrup; its got a lovely sweetish nutty flavour - awesome on toast, porridge and in baking. I can't buy it where I live and ran out a couple of weeks ago am busting to go to Tauranga and pick up some more! I am going to buy heaps so it takes me a year to run out lol

cgvl, Sep 29, 6:01am
Be careful with the artificial sweeteners, they also can cause headaches amongst other not so nice side affects.
I have a recipe for muesli type bars but it does use sugar but if honey isn't giving you headaches you could substitute it for sugar. You need about half the amount of honey to sugar.
Muesli Slice Ingredients: 2cups rolled oats, 2Tbsp wholemeal flour, 1cup dried mixed fruit eg apricots, dates, raisins, sultanas, figs; 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice, 1/4cup seeds eg pumpkin, sunflower, sesame; 1/2cup fruit juice, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1tsp coconut essence, 1tsp vanilla essence, 1egg, 1Tbsp brown sugar. Method: Mix the oats, flour, fruit, spices and seeds together. Stir in the juice, peanut butter and essences. Beat the egg and brown sugar together then combine all the ingredinets, mix well. Press into a sponge roll tin and cook 15mins @ 200C. when cold slice into 15 bars. Info per bar, energy 419kj/100kcal CHO 17g Fat low Fibre moderate

standard, Sep 30, 5:28am
Can you tell me what shop in Tauranga sells the brown rice syrup please? My friend that lives there would like to get some too !
Thanks

awoftam, Oct 1, 5:24am
Hiya. It's Wild Earth Organics on Cameron Road:

http://wildearthorganics.co.nz/

I just got back today; brought 3 900g bottles so that should last me a while lol. They have amazing breads too (delivered on Tuesdays) and loads of other things. Prepare to be in there a while.

dibble35, Oct 2, 1:17am
Well im at home today with another headache, accompanied this morning by nausea then vomiting. After googling I think its something to do with my blood sugar/possible precursor to diabetes. Wouldnt surprise me really if I did become diabetic, runs in the family plus I am a big girl. lol.
Off to the doctors i think for some tests.

awoftam, Oct 2, 1:22am
I think that's a good idea - it must be a worry. Hope all goes well for you.

uli, Oct 2, 3:49am
Ask your doctor for some liver tests - nausea and vomiting has nothing to do with sugar I think. Also while cutting down on sugar - also cut down on any other "sweets" like honey, agave syrup etc.

dibble35, Oct 2, 5:37am
Thanks, yeah I havnt been having much sugar at all the last few days. I had some muesli last night though which judging from its taste must have some sort of sugar in it in some form. I think my tolerance for sugar is getting worse. Shouldnt get a headache from a few spoons of muesli so somethings up.

uli, Oct 3, 5:42am
I hope you had a blood test by now - would be very sorry to lose another member to liver cancer. Been to many in the last 2 months.
Please go and have it checked!

standard, Sep 22, 12:48am
Thanks for answering, I have passed that info on.