Buttercream with kremelta

chevvette, Feb 25, 12:08am
Hi. Does buttercream made with kremelta taste any different from buttercream made with just butter! Would it hold up in the heat better!

cookiebarrel, Feb 25, 1:33am
Use 50/50 Kremelta/butter all the time chevvette.Well maybe not all the time as I don't use it for ordinary cake and cupcake icing, but do use it when I am icingshaped birthday cakes, like the Wilton tins and need it to hold it's shape. When piping with it it makes very neat, clear shapes.like when you use a star tube, neat, well defined and hold their shape.It does taste different to the normal buttercream, but not unpleasant at all, I prefer it's taste myself.I usually put vanilla essence in it, but have used other essences as well, raspberry, orange, lemon, coconut ect.I have found it better to pipe with because it is a firmer mix, especially in summer and it does hold up to the heat better.You really need to have it very soft, but not melted when incorporating it into the butter as those little lumps don't breakdown and mix in otherwise.If I do melt it when trying to get it soft, I just leave it to get firmer again and if I have time, beating it helps in the process, but is naturally more time consuming.Not that I have tried it myself, but in an old English Womens Weekly they actually used all Kremelta to make a true blue icing.Would want to eat a large amount of it, but only because of the fat content, but then I feel the same about other buttercreams.
Hope this helps :-)