DIY Cheese's - How to get started on a budget?

mss2006, Jan 30, 7:46am
Keen to give it a go especially Mozzarella, Brie and Blue cheeses.

Whats your experience / tips making home made cheeses!

cgvl, Jan 30, 7:49am
my Hubby bought me a Mad Millie starter kit for xmas, as yet I haven't used it but comes with instructions and all the stuff I need except the milk and things I would have already in the kitchen.
When It cools down a bit I will have a go. Seems easy enough.
I believe he got it through Fly Buys, I do feel they can be expensive though.

mss2006, Jan 30, 8:11am
Thanks for the heads up on Mad Millie, will look into it.

Just found out today Your Shout do cheese kits so will have a look at them tomorrow.

davidt4, Jan 30, 9:01am
My Mad Millie Artisan cheese kit paid for itself in haloumi, feta and ricotta in about two months.And that was when I was buying milk from New World.

The cheese making is quite time consuming but well worthwhile.

ruby19, Jan 30, 10:50am
It is a satisfying project, I have only made haloumi, with a bonus of being able to produce ricotta as well.As Davidt mentions it does require a little time, but is well worth it.

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 9:32pm
yesstartedwithMadMilliebutyoucanbuyingredyouneedin thesuppermarket
Ibuymyrennetfromaplacein thenthislandmakesafirmercurd

fifie, Jan 30, 11:17pm
Started with a M/M beginners kit, have made haloumi, feta and ricotta Mozzarella, finding as i progress through the cheeses and get more confident about the only thing i use out of the kit is the thermometer, rest is usually around the kitchen. Things that help me is sterilise everything your using,do the research, and don't short cut times needed for curds etc to form before moving on to the next stage, use the search function on here plenty of info there to read about each cheese you want to make.

davidt4, Jan 30, 11:38pm
That's exactly right.And for feta-style cheese you really need to set aside a full day when the kitchen will be used only for cheese as the initial process takes about six hours and any other activity could cause contamination.It's not always possible to predict the time involved either - I'm making a feta-style today, I've just checked the curd after the usual 90 minutes and it hasn't gelled properly yet.

makespacenow, Jan 30, 11:53pm
You don't need to spend money on kits. Most libraries have books on how to start making own cheese at home. Most likely you already own most of the equipment - it is all in your kitchen. You just need a good thermometer. Other stuff rennet etc is sold in most supermarkets. You can buy cheese cultures over the net. I think i posted in the past link to us site for cultures and recipes (faster delivery and cheaper products than here in nz).
To make your cheese cheaper source the milk.wish I could. Its not that difficult my 7y old makes mozzarella and ricotta herself

mss2006, Jan 31, 6:01am
Great info, thanks everyone!Going to make Mozzarella tomorrow.