Poached egg;

porsche9, Nov 7, 11:28pm
How do you cook a nice poached egg without the white spreading out into little filaments. Is it quality of egg or maybe not fresh enough an egg! or should I buy one of those round rings!answers appreciated.

hmck, Nov 7, 11:38pm
I have a round ring and it helps a lot.

davidt4, Nov 8, 12:04am
The fresher the egg the less it spreads out.

jayjay54, Nov 8, 12:05am
put a little vinegar in the water

biggles45, Nov 8, 12:13am
Egg rings or a deep pan of water, when it boils swirl it round with a large spoon until it is going round fast, drop egg in and the swirling makes the white stay close to the egg.

dlmckay, Nov 8, 12:20am
Egg rings - I used to use the vinegar, but found it made the pan a pest to clean afterwards.

antoniab, Nov 8, 1:02am
Freshness is key - we always get perfect poached eggs but we have our own chicken so know they are fresh. Otherwise yeah like the others have said a ring will hold it together I guess.

jbsouthland, Nov 8, 1:05am
we have purchased off here TM those siliconpoaching pods.fantastic resultto the point that Partner was overdosing us both onperfectly poached eggs.lol.lid has to be on the vessel you cook them in though.otherwise takes yonks
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=zDZDI7W8veA

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 1:18am
As others have said: the fresher the egg the better - but there's one other thing: make sure the pan is well greased first; egg white won't stick - well atleast nowhere near as much as a non-greased pan. Vinegar is the other trick!

marywea, Nov 8, 2:26am
Do not add salt to the water-just vinegar. This wonderful tip came from the recipe board.

esther-anne, Nov 8, 2:56am
Our poached perfect eggs are free range and cooked in gently simmering water with a teaspoon of white vinegar - definitely no salt.They were a bit hit and miss before I read the tip about white vinegar (Jamie Oliver I think but not sure).

purplegoanna, Nov 8, 2:58am
fresh eggs.i only use eggs my chooks have laid.the supermarket ones just splat out and look hideous.

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 3:05am
We used to have chooks, so I became very paricular when trying to find the best free range eggs available to buy at the supermarket. HENERGY eggs are SPCA approved and are the only ones I'll ever buy (unless I buy fresh off a farm ). They have really large (and very yellow) yolks.

http://www.thelist.co.nz/products/henergy-s-free-range-eggs/

mackenzie2, Nov 8, 7:12am
[quote=biggles45a deep pan of water, when it boils swirl it round with a large spoon until it is going round fast, drop egg in and the swirling makes the white stay close to the egg.[/quote]

This will give you perfect shaped eggs everytime.

survivorr, Nov 8, 7:16am
Only way to go.If it's a fresh egg you can slip it off a saucer into hot water and it's perfect.I heard someone saying this and thought - nah - that won't work.Wrong.Perfect poached egg every time.

elsielaurie1, Nov 8, 8:26am
This will give you perfect shaped eggs everytime.[/quote] I second this.plus make sure the water doesn't boil after the egg is dropped in. There should be enough heat in the water to cook it.

porsche9, Nov 8, 9:12am
Thank you all for your answers to thisproblem. I am sure to get it right now.

cmjbp, Nov 8, 9:52am
Interesting to read this. I always put salt in the water and I usually have eggs that spread.I will try without the salt, thanks for the tip

nzhel, Nov 9, 11:03am
I make a poached a egg or eggs several times a week as I love them. I never put vinegar in the water - don't like the taste with the egg and I always use a metal ring.
I put boiling water into a small frying pan, waiting until little bubbles appear just before it boils then break the egg into the ring in the water. It turns out perfectly 99% of the time!

zappi, Nov 9, 8:05pm
We only ever have the boiling water and when the water is swirling tip the egg in.I was taught to gently spoon the waterover the yolk part (dont know why thought)I have also seen on cheftelevision shows where they put several layers of cling film in a cup and put the egg into the cup and then twist the cling film at the top to seal and then put the clingfilmed egg into the water to cook.Not sure of the amount of cooking time.

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 9, 10:09pm
I have never figured out how to do this when more than one egg is to be poached.I have an egg poacher and also chooks, I am not a huge egg fan but had one during the week and it was the most flavoursome delish egg I think I might try again tomorrow for brekkie.

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 9, 10:09pm
I have never figured out how to do this when more than one egg is to be poached.I have an egg poacher and also chooks, I am not a huge egg fan but had one during the week and it was the most flavoursome delish egg I think I might try again tomorrow for brekkie, and as others have mentioned the fresher the egg the less it spreads, mine looked like it had been cooked in a ring just because it was only a day old.

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 9, 10:11pm
thats to set the white on top of the egg, thats what puts me off if its not set and still slimey.yuk!

zappi, Nov 10, 9:07pm
kiwiscrapper1, I hate runny egg white also.Like the yolk to be nice and runny though.