Whats the secret to a nice fluffy cake

Page 2 / 2
michelle145, Jun 11, 8:29am
Lol Love that show!

cookessentials, Jun 11, 8:39am
I also use high grade for everything as well as self raising. I dont use plain flour.

cookessentials, Jun 11, 8:41am
OP- I would be checking your oven temp and also, do you pull the cake straight out of the oven and onto a cooling rack! The sidden temp change can also make a huge difference to your cake. I cream my butter and sugar together ( I always use caster sugar as it incorporates quickly. I cream it rather than beating it into submission LOL and I never have a problem with cakes.

michelle145, Jun 11, 8:38pm
So do you recommend leaving cake to sit in tin for ten minutes or so, is that what you mean! I did that :)

cookessentials, Jun 11, 9:49pm
No, but dont pull it straight out of the oven. How old is your oven by the way! I have had alot of people lately having problems with the oven thermostat.

kiwibunz, Jun 12, 1:29am
I don't use fan bake for making cakes or muffins.

buzzy110, Jun 12, 7:02am
This is all so hilarious.

Michelle you will eventually find your own way of doing things.I suppose you could waste time gently massaging your butter with a wooden spoon if you like but I find that getting stuck in with the beating attachments on your beater/mixer works so much faster.

When it comes to flour, those whose livelihood depends on a perfect product every time (rather than a 'that'll do' product) always recommend pure, rather than high grade flour. I've always followed their advice. There are good reasons for that advice btw.

On the other hand I despise self-raising flour. It leaves a nasty metallic taste in the mouth.

dolphin101, Jun 13, 1:13am
I had trouble last year with the flour and changed back to high grade flour away from the cheapy ones

cookessentials, Jun 13, 1:38am
Yes, I only ever use high grade, not the plain. Works perfectly every time.

cookessentials, Jun 13, 1:41am
There also seems to one poster who is very confused about flour types. High grade flour is just as "pure" as plain flour, the only difference is that it has a higher protein content from different types of wheat. It seems the poster infers that high grade is different because it is not pure.this is an incorrect assumption.

elsielaurie1, Jun 13, 1:47am
I thought High Grade meant more gluten content, therefore more suited for breads and the likes. But I can't say I've ever noticed any difference. Everything always seems to get eaten.:-)

cookessentials, Jun 13, 2:00am
Higher protein and good for breads etc, however, i have used only high grade for over 20 years and my Mum only ever uses high grade 9 apart from self raising) and she is a fabulous baker.