Chocolate mudcake recipe

rumncoke, Feb 2, 12:39am
I am in desperate need of a rich mudcake recipe to use for wedding cakes . Cake must rise 6-7 cm in depth, be very firm and chocolatey rich in flavour and able to be made in a large quantity. Have made quite a few with large amounts of chocolate in them, but bride thinks they do not have a real chocolate flavour.

darlingmole, Feb 2, 1:20am
I have a mississipi mud pie recipe? Would that help? Only trouble is that is must be cooked in a ring shaped tin ... let me know if you'd like me to post it

antmannz, Feb 2, 1:26am
http://chelsea.co.nz/ViewRecipe. aspx? id=670this is by far the best mudcake I've made. I don't put the layer of ganache in the middle. I personally think it's better the day after it's been made. It's a good sized cake and nice and chocolatey

rumncoke, Feb 2, 2:09am
Thank you so much but it needs to be a square cake cut into 7 cm peices encased in thin chocolate slabs .

rumncoke, Feb 2, 2:22am
Have got the receipe antmanz thank you. Similar to others i have made and the bride didn't like but am going to give it a go. Putting kilos on just looking at the photo. ! !

chicco2, Feb 2, 3:49am
Miss Mud: 1. 5kgDkchoc buttons, 1kg Butter, 3/4cup instcoffee powder, 3&1/2cup water (warm), 3Cup castor sug, 4Cup plainflour, 1Cup SR Flour, 6 eggs, 1/2Cup Liquer, 1tspsalt.
Crm butt&sug, add eggs, water with coffee dissolved, liquer, Mix it up and add melted choc , then flours and salt.
Double line your tin as this is quite liquid. 1&1/4 times the recipe makes a 30cm deep square tin. Very Rich cake. I use it for wedding cakes all the time. Bake it at 150. . 2-3hrs.

rumncoke, Feb 2, 4:22am
chicco2. Could you tell me what particular liquer you use?

geoff3410, Feb 2, 4:46am
Chocolate Mud Cake

Ingredients

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
250g dark chocolate, broken up or roughly chopped
1 cup hot strong coffee, can be strong instant
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup Chelsea White or Raw Sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 eggs

Chocolate Ganache
400g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 cup cream

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base of a 22 - 23 cm spring-form tin with non-stick baking paper and spray with non-stick baking spray.

Mix the lemon juice with the milk and set aside for it to sour the milk.

Place oil, chocolate and hot coffee in a microwave bowl or small saucepan and heat gently, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and the mixture smooth. Cool.

In a large bowl, mix the flour baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cocoa.

Mix the eggs and soured milk into the cooled chocolate mixture, combine thoroughly, and then whisk into the dry ingredients.

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour. When tested, fudgy crumbs will still adhere to a skewer. This is the desirable sticky mud cake consistency. Cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then turn out and cool further on a wire rack. When cold, cut the cake in half using a serrated knife, ice the centre and top with thick Chocolate Ganache icing.

Chocolate Ganache
Place both chocolate and cream in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool then refrigerate for 30 - 40 minutes until the mixture is a thick spreading consistency. Chill the frosted cake and serve with softly whipped cream or thick yoghurt.

Serves: 10-12

bluetigerrr, Feb 2, 4:49am
Wild One Raspberry Mud Cake – from Rocket Kitchen
Published in New Zealand Baker (Dean Brettschneider and Lauraine Jacobs).

Cake:

435ml hot water
325g softened butter
235g granulated sugar
40g cocoa powder
400g dark chocolate buttons
140g mashed raspberries
5ml raspberry essence (optional)
175g eggs (3. 5)
285g 'Champion' or 'Elfin' self-raising flour

Cake method:

1. Place the hot water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat and add butter, then set aside until just melted but still hot.
3. Combine the sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate in a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk.
4. Add the hot butter and water to the chocolate mixture, whisk on medium speed until smooth then mix in the mashed raspberries and raspberry essence.
5. Add the eggs one at a time while mixing and scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
6. Sieve the flour, add to the mixture and whisk on low speed until the mixture is smooth.
7. Pour into a 23cm round loose base cake tin which has the sides and bottom lined with baking paper.
8. Place directly into preheated oven set at 150ºC and bake for 1. 5 hours or until a cake skewer comes out clean.
9. Once cool remove from the cake tin and take off the baking paper. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.

Ganache:

300ml fresh cream
500g dark chocolate buttons

Ganache method:

1. Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate buttons.
3. Stir using a wooden spoon until the buttons have melted.
4. Leave to rest in the saucepan to thicken to pouring consistency - this should take approximately 45 minutes.
5. Place a sheet of baking paper underneath the cooling rack, then slowly pour the ganache over the cake, starting at the centre and moving towards the outside, ensuring that the cake is completely covered (you may need to use a palette knife).
6. Give the cooling rack a shake to allow the ganache to settle evenly on the cake.
7. Once the ganache has finished dripping, carefully lift the covered cake off the cooling rack and place on a serving plate.

bluetigerrr, Feb 2, 4:50am
PART 2:

Chocolate Shards:

375g dark chocolate buttons (1 packet)
375g white chocolate buttons (1 packet)

Chocolate Shards method:

1. Half fill a saucepan with cold water, bring to the boil and remove saucepan from the heat.
2. Break the dark and white chocolate buttons into small pieces and place in separate stainless steel bowls that will fit inside the saucepan of water (one bowl at a time).
3. Place the bowl of dark chocolate in the hot water. Never allow any water to come into contact with the chocolate as this will cause the chocolate to thicken.
4. Stir the chocolate with a clean wooden spoon until it has reached 40ºC and melted. You may need to remove the bowl from the water from time to time to avoid overheating the chocolate. Use chocolate compound at 40ºC to achieve a nice sheen once the chocolate has set. Repeat for the white chocolate.
5. When both chocolates have melted, spread a thin layer (2mm) of each onto a large sheet of baking paper using a palette knife. Allow to nearly set, then using a sharp knife cut into shards. For the dark chocolate shards keep them straight and for the white chocolate shards, cut them in a wave-type pattern.
6. Wait until the chocolate shards have completely set then carefully remove them from the baking paper by sliding a palette knife under each shard. You may need to have a few extra shards to allow for breakage.
7. Using a wide-bladed, pointed knife, pierce the top of the cake where you want to place the white chocolate shards then carefully insert the shards into these holes.
8. Before the ganache is completely set, place the dark chocolate shards around the outside of the cake. Tie a wide ribbon around the outside of the dark chocolate shards.

Notes: You can use plain flour and add baking powder (rather then use self-raising flour). If possible, weigh the eggs (without the shells) to get as close as possible to 175g. Use a 25cm tin for a larger diameter cake (but not as high) and you don't have to make the shards - the cake looks pretty without them. However, once you've made this cake it becomes unbeatable and it is so easy to make - especially without the shards!

bluetigerrr, Feb 2, 4:53am
Believe me rumncoke ... you will never go NEAR another mud cake after you've made this one. And what's more ... it has been made as a wedding cake many times so it's foolproof for that very task!

chicco2, Feb 2, 11:02am
Sorry about the delay in responding to your question rumncoke. I usually use a Baileys flavoured Liquer. To be happy with the result, maybe you could do up a 1/4 recipe to see if its the texture and flavour that your bride wants. This recipe cuts well and is quite dense. I have known it to keep in the fridge for several weeks. People have reported cutting a slice and heating it in the microwave and serving it with icecream. Goodluck.

rumncoke, Jul 25, 4:47pm
Thanks everyone for your help. Wish I had thought about notice board sooner to get recipes . It was starting to get stressful trying to find one. Off to the kitchen then! !