Annabel Langbien shortbread.help please!

Page 1 / 2
perle, Nov 17, 8:49am
x1
Does anyone have the recipe from the "any one can bake" book ! Thanks :
)

nfh1, Nov 17, 8:55am
Have you tried her website! - I was looking at it earlier and she has stacks of recipes on there.

perle, Nov 17, 8:55am
Yes i have, could not find it :(

nfh1, Nov 17, 8:56am
sorry - it was worth a try.

perle, Nov 17, 8:59am
Am hoping someone may have the bookthat could share the recipe i have misplaced my own! :

elliehen, Nov 17, 9:23am
x2
CLASSIC SHORTBREAD
Source:'Anyone Can Bake' - Annabel Langbein

250gm butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 & 3/4 cups high-grade flour
1/4 cup custard powder

Preheat oven to 150*C and line trays with baking paper.Cream butter and sugar.Add all other ingredients and mix until mixture forms a ball.Press dough out into a slab, wrap in baking paper or cling wrap, and chill about 30 minutes.Roll out dough on a floured bench to 1cm thickness and make shapes with a cutter.Place on baking trays and bake 30 minutes or until pale golden.Cool ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container.Makes about 30.

Will keep in an airtight container for several weeks.

davidt4, Nov 17, 9:24am
Perhaps if you spell her name correctly you might find it.It's Langbein, not Langbien.

elliehen, Nov 17, 9:41am
x1
Not necessary with Google.Google is very forgiving and makes minor corrections to a search.

If you put 'Annabel Langbien' into the search, Google will automatically search for 'Annabel Langbein' but asks politely whether you'd still like to search instead for the misspelling you put in (see below):

"Showing results for Annabel Langbein
Search instead for Annabel Langbien"

hezwez, Nov 17, 9:55am
Just as well too elliehen. There are over 4000 hits for davidt4, and few of them would be our davidt4.
I mean:
http://tiny.cc/ify4i
Really!

perle, Nov 17, 10:53am
thank you ever so much. Much appreciated :
)

elliehen, Nov 17, 10:22pm
Please don't EVER give me a fright like that again!

hezwez, Nov 18, 5:00am
I promise. I'm certain it's not our davidt4 anyway.

elliehen, Nov 20, 2:05am
This is the original.I promise.

And, with Christmas just around the corner, a good one to post while we're on the topic of shortbread.

supercook, Nov 20, 2:10am
Do you have to use high grade flour !

elliehen, Nov 20, 2:13am
If Annabel says so, there must be a good reason!

elliehen, Nov 20, 2:23am
Some additional shortbread information:

Shortbread dough is so versatile. Once you have made the basic shortbread batter, you can add about 1/2 cup (90 grams) of chocolate chips to make chocolate chip shortbread, or add 1 tablespoon of instant espresso powder for a coffee favor. All it takes to have a cinnamon flavoured shortbread is to add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or 1 tablespoon of finely chopped orange or lemon zest will give you a nice citrus flavoured shortbread. The texture of shortbread can also be changed by replacing 1/4 cup (35 grams) of the all purpose flour with rice flour which gives the shortbread a slightly crunchy texture. Or, for a more delicate tasting shortbread, with a melt-in-your-mouth texture, replace 1/2 cup (65 grams) of the all purpose flour with cornstarch (corn flour). Shortbreads can also be cut into various shapes and sizes using your favourite cookie cutter. They can also be baked in a tart pan, or baked in a rectangular pan and then cut into shortbread "fingers". If you like, dip the ends of the baked shortbread in melted chocolate. Royal shortbread is the name given when one end of the baked shortbread is dipped into melted chocolate.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/shortbreads/shortbreadcookies.html#ixzz1eCyXPE9r

skippie1, Nov 20, 4:56am
Was reading the recipe from Annabel Langbein, 30 min baking for shortbread is that not a bit long.

hezwez, Nov 20, 5:53am
The recipe at #13 states 75 minutes! Is that correct!

elliehen, Nov 20, 6:37am
Just checked the book again and that's what she says."about 30 minutes or until pale golden".The temperature at 150*C is a low one.

elliehen, Nov 20, 6:38am
Copied and pasted from Recipes.maybe it's meant to be 15 minutes!

skippie1, Nov 20, 6:28pm
Thank you elliehen. will give them a go.

elliehen, Nov 20, 9:07pm
I'd start peeking into the oven quite early on to see if they're pale gold, I think.I haven't tried Annabel's recipe yet, but in the past I have overcooked shortbread and it's not nice with a browned bottom.

elliehen, Nov 21, 4:21am
This is the one I make.

CONNIE'S SHORTBREAD(old Scottish recipe)

8 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
10 oz flour
2 oz cornflour

Cream butter and sugar.Add lemon juice.Sift and add flour and corn flour.Mix and roll into two long logs.Chill in fridge for 10 minutes.Slice into rounds and place on baking paper on cold oven tray.Prick with a fork.

Bake for 5 minutes at 180*C then 10+ minutes at 150*C.

Watch them like a hawk - as soon as they start to colour, they're done.Don't let them brown.

elliehen, Nov 25, 3:43am
INTERVIEW with Annabel Langbein tomorrow, Saturday morning, by Kim Hillat 11.05am.

Details:

11:05 Annabel Langbein

Annabel Langbein is a cook, author, and television presenter. Her 2010 book, The Free Range Cook sold close to 150,000 copies in New Zealand, and since been published in Australia, the UK, and France (as Annabel au Naturel). Her new book is Free Range in the City (Annabel Langbein Books, ISBN: 978-0-9582668-5-7).

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/

bev00, Nov 24, 11:48am
Makes great Xmas gifts