Dairy free

jonellle, Nov 12, 5:40am
My 2 1/2 year old has had blood tests and has come back as not being allergic to dairy, but Dr thinks maybe she is intolerant.
When she has dairy she breaks out in the most hideous and itchy excema.And we have tried weeks with no dairy then giving a little bit with the same results,so.
i'm looking for some REALLY easy (i'm no cook) recipes for anything dairy free that she may like.Its hard for her due to having 2 older sisters who can eat anything.She knows she cant have dairy but every now again she wants "just a little bit" and it breaks my heart to either say no, or have to deal with her itching constantly.

vmax2, Nov 12, 6:01am
Have you tried raw milk!It's quite a different thing to pasteurized homogenised milk.My daughter reacts to shop dairy products but can tolerate raw goat and cow dairy products.

jonellle, Nov 12, 9:21am
raw milk! never heard of it.where can i get some!We use soya milk at the moment, which she likes so is not a problem, but not sure how good it would be in baking

vmax2, Nov 12, 9:27am
Raw milk meaning straight from the cow or goat - not heat treated.Google raw milk and find out its health benefits and then find yourself a dairy farmer who could sell you some.Also google soy milk and the health problems it causes.

skye7, Nov 12, 9:31am
I am diary free and acknowledge it does bring many challenges but the headache, pain, and vomiting dairy causes me is simply not worth it.

I can not tolerate soy milk either, but coconut milk works as a substitute in most baking.

Have you tried the lactose free milk! Does this cause her to itch!

My intolerance is to lactose and casein which further limits what I can tolerate. I have been amazed how many products have these proteins in them (most store purchased stock, canned tuna etc).

Good luck, I am sure that when your daughter links the "itchy" with the diary she will soon become the"dairy police"

frances1266, Nov 12, 6:50pm
There are thousands of vegan sites on the net all of which have recipes thatare dairy free.
Lots of baking recipes, how to substitute for dairy products.Many great recipes and ideas which should help.

litedelites, Nov 12, 7:23pm
what about rice milk! is this dairy free!

hesian, Nov 12, 7:34pm
Raw milk depends where you live.Farmers allowed to sell at farm gate.Be cheaper too.But although it is more digestible than processed she may still be intolerant of it.Rice milk is pretty expensive ($4 a litre) and like soy taste varies from company to company.We always preferred the vitasoy milks of all kind but now too expensive to buy.Pam's soy milk currently the least expensive I can find.You can substitute all these milks in baking but maybe choose recipes that dont need heaps of it then taste changes results less.
Good luck - it must be really hard when only one child not allowed the milky treats. You really are doing the right thing for her as when people ignore food intolerances it is possible to irritate the immune system which can lead to unpleasant autoimmune diseases later in life.