Pork collar

anjouc, Jul 9, 4:16am
Has anyone got any recipes for pork collars

jessie981, Jul 9, 5:02am
Thought they were just a roast?

poppy62, Jul 9, 7:26pm
Yeah - I just roasted mine and it was delicious - however the next one I bought had sweet all meat on it and wasn't as tasty.

doree36, Jul 9, 10:45pm
I make a delicious casserole with mine - try it I hope you like it as much as i do
First i trim off the skin leaving a bit of the fat on ( I "crackle" this up in the oven to put on the top when serving this onto the platefor each person.)
I place the whole collar (centre bone and all) in the casserole and add the following:
1 large kumera cut chunky ( the golden ones look nice) 1 large onion sliced. Mix to-gether 1/2 cup water,small tin of pineapple pieces,1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of corn flour, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon mustard,salt and pepper.pour over pork mixture - cook 1 1/2 hours at 180CThis is really tender. After cooking remove the bony centrepiece and cut meat into serving sized pieces -serve with your favourite veges and top each serving of meat with some of the crackling.I usually strain the cooked meat and veges and put the gravy into the freezer for an hour to let any fat come to the top and set, spoon this off and put the gravy back into the meat and veges.A good econimical meal ( usuall around $4 - 5 for the collar - i get mine from the Mad Butcher here in Tauranga.I am 75 so grew up in the war years with rationing etc - so learnt at a young age how to economise!!!There are lots of cheaper meats around that with a little imagination can make a delicious meal.Enjoy!!

wheelz, Jul 9, 10:48pm
what cut is a pork collar?

jessie981, Jul 9, 11:41pm
I always think of the neck/shoulders wheelz, probably nowhere near it.

doree36, Jul 10, 3:15am
Google Pork collar - it will tell you all about themlots of threads and recipes

dezzie, Jul 10, 4:54am
We just roast them on a rack, they can be fatty, so pick carefully when you get them. Very good meat tho, and always tender.

schnauzer11, Jul 10, 10:03am
Like my late Mum-you women who went through lean years,and had to 'make do',have the most wonderful ways with ingredients!I love my pressure-cooker,and,with a few spices,can make something great out of not very much!My thanks to your generation of home-makers.

lindylambchops1, Jul 30, 9:42am
Yum will try this I got a pork collar the other day from Raeward Fresh Christchurch.Thanks for the recipe.

chchgurl, Jul 31, 1:03am
OMG pork collar is so yum LOL Its my favourite

jessie981, Jul 9, 5:02am
Thought they were just a roast!

poppy62, Jul 9, 7:26pm
Yeah - I just roasted mine and it was delicious - however the next one I bought had sweet all meat on it and wasn't as tasty.

doree36, Jul 9, 10:45pm
I make a delicious casserole with mine - try it I hope you like it as much as i do
First i trim off the skin leaving a bit of the fat on ( I "crackle" this up in the oven to put on the top when serving this onto the platefor each person.)
I place the whole collar (centre bone and all) in the casserole and add the following:
1 large kumera cut chunky ( the golden ones look nice) 1 large onion sliced. Mix to-gether 1/2 cup water,small tin of pineapple pieces,1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of corn flour, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon mustard,salt and pepper.pour over pork mixture - cook 1 1/2 hours at 180CThis is really tender. After cooking remove the bony centrepiece and cut meat into serving sized pieces -serve with your favourite veges and top each serving of meat with some of the crackling.I usually strain the cooked meat and veges and put the gravy into the freezer for an hour to let any fat come to the top and set, spoon this off and put the gravy back into the meat and veges.A good econimical meal ( usuall around $4 - 5 for the collar - i get mine from the Mad Butcher here in Tauranga.I am 75 so grew up in the war years with rationing etc - so learnt at a young age how to economise!There are lots of cheaper meats around that with a little imagination can make a delicious meal.Enjoy!

wheelz, Jul 9, 10:48pm
what cut is a pork collar!

schnauzer11, Jul 10, 10:03am
Like my late Mum-you women who went through lean years,and had to 'make do',have the most wonderful ways with ingredients!I love my pressure-cooker,and,with a few spices,can make something great out of not very much!My thanks to your generation of home-makers.