Can someone suggest a good brand of pots?

Page 2 / 3
knowsley, Mar 2, 5:49pm
Another vote for Circulon and Baccarat. I have had a set of Circulon for 14 years and they are still great. I have had the Baccarat for about 4 and are as good as new. Can't say that for my crappy Scanpan items though, both ones I bought have peeled.

binnie100, Mar 2, 8:44pm
Thanks everyone, definately going to Farmers today for the Baccarat pots - wonder what % off they are

buzzy110, Mar 2, 10:47pm
Depends on the pot really. Some last for about 6 months some last for hundreds of years. There is just no telling. So when a manufacturer offers a lifetime guarantee, it is not your lifetime, as uli quite correctly stated, it is the life expectancy of the product.

uli, Mar 2, 11:09pm
I personally have only bought steel frypans or WMF cookware.
Michael Joyce is the NZ importer I believe.
http://www.michaeljoyce.co.nz/shop/PRODUCTS+BY+CATEGORY/COOKWARE.html WMF pots and pans are very expensive. The quality is excellent and they can be handed down to your grandchildren.
You can buy them here:
http://www.abode.co.nz/10.html http://www.thestudio.co.nz/shop/Cookware/Saucepans/WMF+Diadem+Plus+Saucepans.html

cookessentials, Mar 2, 11:24pm
Yeah and they are made in China LOL

buzzy110, Mar 2, 11:27pm
How does that affect quality?

lyl_guy, Mar 3, 3:26am

samsnan, Mar 4, 3:07am
Dont worry cookie you will never win with those 2. I am with you in this discussion. I would never put a saucepan into a dishwasher. I have seen what it does to the handles of some. I have saucepans that are 45years old and still going well.

cookessentials, Mar 4, 3:54am
Oh, I cant be bothered with either of them samsnan LOL...they dont come here to impart any knowledge, usually just to stir, its what they do best.
Knives in the dishwasher is also a no no..the heat damages the edge on knives and the harsh chemicals do the handles no good. it always amazes me how many people treat their cookware as a tool...like ,y lady and the expensive German knife she used as a garlic root prising tool!! I also doubt very much that uli would spend the money on WMF cookware quite frankly.
You dont have to treat cokware with "kid gloves" as the other silly poster mentioned...you look after it and it will continue to work well for many years.

shop-a-holic, Mar 4, 4:03am
{hugs to cooksessential} I hear you babe :-)

Personally, I use Silit cookware. They also double as casserole dishes, and all of them fry pans too.
ps: and bakeware.

cookessentials, Mar 4, 4:09am
LOL, thanks shop-a-holic, I think 90% of the recipe board members know exactly what I mean...most of us at some time or another have had the displeasure of their comments.

lanceandkathrin, Mar 6, 8:03pm
Definately WMF cookware. I have a beautiful set which cost a bomb but is still in perfect condition after 15 years of use. My mum has had her set since her wedding day nearly 40 years ago and it is still going strong. The quality is outstanding and they are visually pleasing, too.

tipsy_bl0nde, Mar 6, 8:40pm
I must say i bought a great set from Briscoes for about 150 (half price originally 300) They were Hampton and Mason. Have had them since xmas and they have so far been fantastic

sossie1, Dec 27, 2:04am
my longest lasting pots have all come from op-shops, plus cast iron fry pans on sale- I have had the same one for over 15 years

karenz, Dec 27, 3:44am
I love my enamel and cast iron stovetop or casserole pot I bought from the Sallies for around $10, cooks like a pressure cooker and judging by the bright orange colour it probably dates from the 70's.I also have a lot of frypans and genuine American griddle pan also bought second hand, but I really love my Scanpan frypan which was a recent gift, I find it cooks evenly and is a nice weight.

pickles7, Dec 28, 10:06pm
bumping up for .gerry64.

pogram0, Dec 28, 11:57pm
I have a problem with my Circulon frying pan.I don't believe the quality is as good as it used to be.When I put the pan onto the element and pour a little bit of oil into the bottom, within the few seconds the oil disperses to the outer edges of the frypan which suggests to me the centre is warping slightly.This happens on my electric eutron element at mark 3 out of a possible 5 on the temperature control dial. so not on maximum heat.I think the Circulon roasting dish I purchased about 15 years ago performs much better than the frypan I purchased in more recent times.

binnie100, Feb 29, 7:22pm
Wanting a good quality set ofkitchen pots. Can anyone recommend a good brand! Cheers :)

dollertree, Mar 1, 12:20am
Try Bessemer cookware.their products are amazing . Expensive but worth it.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 12:21am
#7 & #5 I find those comments most interesting. The is cookware DOES indeed have a lifetime guarantee and is replaced if it is deemed faulty. The return rate in Infinite Circulon is virtually zero, however, there are customers who do not clean their pans properly which in turn will cause a problem. A pan going "wonky" is usually due to warping and that comes from people not treating their cookware properly. Never put a hot pan into water.this causes warping. I have NEVER known such a problem with Infinite Circulon,so mistreatment seems to be the obvious factor here. So many people who use non-stick pans do not follow the manufacturers instructions. They are not for high heat.a medium to low heat is all that is required. They need to be cleaned properly and do not use metal utensils. I find it strange that if these pans were faulty as you both say, that they were not taken back to where they were bought and replaced which is the usual procedure.

binnie100, Mar 1, 12:52am
Cheers for the responses. I had looked at Briscoes but they didn't feel right. Do the Farmers ones have lifetime warranty too!

lythande1, Mar 1, 1:05am
Yes and people think that means your lifetime. It isn't. It's product lifetime, which varies, anything from 6 months to 10 years. Or so.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:13am
A lifetime guarantee is certainly more than six months LOL. I know for a fact that if ever there is a problem with any of the Infinite Circulon , it is replaced. I had a pan returned to me ( bought through someone else in Auckland) that has a tiny piece missing. The couple in question had the frypan for about seven years and it was replaced,although, looking at the pan, I could see it needed a decent clean.by not cleaning it properly, the food burns into the pan and can cause a problem. Now the cause of this was user error 9 as it nealry always is) however, it was still replaced. Its like a customer who bought an expensive set of German knives, only to bring one of them back a few weeks later becase the tip of the slicing knife had broken off. On investigation, I found that she had used the tip of the knife to prize off the end of a full garlic bulb!.the knife was replaced, but these are the sorts of things people do with their cookware!

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:16am
what is a fast heating metal!

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:22am
so why didnt you contact the distributors here! They replace without question. I have heard nothing about a problem with sauteeing.I use them myself and have not had any problems,wither with saute temp or quality.

#1.if you can get the baccarat Capri here in NZ.I think that would be suitable for you. It has a good handle which is riveted onh and the handle is not hoolw which drives me to distraction because they harbour bits of food. if you have a look here, it will give you some info.
http://www.baccarat.com.au/saucepans/stainless-steel-saucepan-with-lid-and-helper-handl/w1/i1002349_1001305/