Can someone suggest a good brand of pots?

Page 1 / 3
binnie100, Feb 28, 7:22pm
Wanting a good quality set ofkitchen pots. Can anyone recommend a good brand? Cheers :)

cookessentials, Feb 28, 8:37pm
Either Infinite Circulon or if you are wanting Stainless Steel, the Gordon Ramsay professional by Royal Doulton.

cookessentials, Feb 28, 8:38pm
Baccarat are also good for mid range.

player_smurf, Feb 28, 9:41pm
Farmers are having 50% of their kitchenware on Thurs (if you are a cardholder) and I think they may have Baccarat.

terachaos, Feb 28, 9:45pm
Stay away from Circulon, I know they feature in a lot of the cooking programmes but I am so disappointed with mine, they were expensive but did not last as long as cheap warehouse ones. I would go for cast iron every time even though they are a pain to season and keep seasoned.

clair4, Feb 28, 11:20pm
farmers sell Baccfarat and they are excellent.Sale prices at the moment.

la-shiss, Mar 1, 12:06am
circulon are rubbish we got a set around ten years ago, they had lifetime guarantee pffff the non stick surface didnt last long ,maybe a year, then its all downhill from there. Even the pot itself lost its shape and went wonky, the handles to the lids all came off. Dont know if they are any different nowdays though.

dollertree, Mar 1, 12:20am
Try Bessemer cookware........their products are amazing . Expensive but worth it.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 12:21am
#7 & #5 I find those comments most interesting. The is cookware DOES indeed have a lifetime guarantee and is replaced if it is deemed faulty. The return rate in Infinite Circulon is virtually zero, however, there are customers who do not clean their pans properly which in turn will cause a problem. A pan going "wonky" is usually due to warping and that comes from people not treating their cookware properly. Never put a hot pan into water...this causes warping. I have NEVER known such a problem with Infinite Circulon,so mistreatment seems to be the obvious factor here. So many people who use non-stick pans do not follow the manufacturers instructions. They are not for high heat...a medium to low heat is all that is required. They need to be cleaned properly and do not use metal utensils. I find it strange that if these pans were faulty as you both say, that they were not taken back to where they were bought and replaced which is the usual procedure.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 12:23am
#1 is after saucepans I take it, not frypans. There are no cast iron saucepans. Youcan also by the American Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron if you find it such a pain to season which is really quite simple.

binnie100, Mar 1, 12:52am
Cheers for the responses. I had looked at Briscoes but they didn't feel right. Do the Farmers ones have lifetime warranty too?

lythande1, Mar 1, 1:05am
Yes and people think that means your lifetime. It isn't. It's product lifetime, which varies, anything from 6 months to 10 years. Or so.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:13am
A lifetime guarantee is certainly more than six months LOL. I know for a fact that if ever there is a problem with any of the Infinite Circulon , it is replaced. I had a pan returned to me ( bought through someone else in Auckland) that has a tiny piece missing. The couple in question had the frypan for about seven years and it was replaced,although, looking at the pan, I could see it needed a decent clean...by nor=t cleaning it properly, the food burns into the pan and can cause a problem.

buzzy110, Mar 1, 1:13am
Personally I'd stay away from any set of pots that required careful handling. Cookware should be able to take the knocks and hard wear that is expected of them, and should not have to be treated with kid gloves. Stay away from non-stick. You have to be careful about the temperatures you cook and sometimes maximum temperature is not hot enough.

A good set of s/s pots with a solid heat transfer bottom (usually aluminium) and sturdy handles would be sufficient. You can find plenty in any price range you choose.

Ensure the bottoms do have a fast heating metal on them because s/s takes for ever to heat up and thus you waste not only time, leading to frustration, but also power. The faster the pot heats the quicker you can achieve what you want and the lower the element temperature needs to be.

Mine have stainless steel handles and an easily removable lid knob so that they can be thrown into the oven to double as casseroles as well.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:16am
what is a fast heating metal?

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:18am
Not about having to use care at all, its about looking after it, not using it as a tool and gadget or for anything other than what it was intended for.

terachaos, Mar 1, 1:19am
Actually, we treated the Circulon with kid gloves, and cleaned them properly. They came with same brand dish brushes. Spoke with a lady who works at one of the kitchen franchise shops and she said that there was a problem with them not being able to withstand temperatures associated with frying/saute etc. I did follow up with the manufacturers who are Aust based, they wanted me to send photos etc, which, was more bother. I have Circulon saucepans , they have stood up quite well, but they are the older ones when the brand first came onto the market H+M cast iron for us now. We did have cast iron saucepans too at one point , part of a set bought at the warehouse.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:22am
so why didnt you contact the distributors here? They replace without question. I have heard nothing about a problem with sauteeing...I use them myself and have not had any problems,wither with saute temp or quality.

#1...if you can get the baccarat Capri here in NZ..I think that would be suitable for you. It has a good handle which is riveted onh and the handle is not hoolw which drives me to distraction because they harbour bits of food. if you have a look here, it will give you some info.
http://www.baccarat.com.au/saucepans/stainless-steel-saucepan-with-lid-and-helper-handl/w1/i1002349_1001305/

buzzy110, Mar 1, 1:36am
My own Dinerite pots come with 5 'skins' - T304 Surgical Stainless Steel on the inside cooking surface then sandwiched between an outer magnetic stainless steel cover (for induction hobs) is a sheet of pure aluminium, aluminium alloy and another pure aluminium. I can bring a cup full of water to full boil within 5 minutes on less than 3/4s of the full heat range of my element.

So I'd say, just guessing here cooks, that any saucepan with aluminium somewhere on its bottom, is a saucepan that can be considered faster heating than just a plain old s/s pan. Tin heats 4 times faster than stainless steel and copper is also very popular.

But fancy someone who sells pots for a living, not knowing that. Are you trying to trick me into saying something that you can latch onto and berate me with.

Pots and pans need to perform a variety of tasks and should not need to be treated with kid gloves. If you want to throw them into the dishwasher then they should be able to take the punishment. If you want to heat your pan to high heat to rapidly sear a piece of meat, then they should be able to take the punishment. If you, god forbid, burn something, they should be able to be cleaned with scourers or whatever other thing you may wish to try and take the punishment.

cookessentials, Mar 1, 1:43am
Quote buzzy110 "But fancy someone who sells pots for a living, not knowing that. Are you trying to trick me into saying something that you can latch onto and berate me with."

I neither have the time, nor the desire to "latch on and berate you with" LOL.
I am very well versed in cookware of all sorts, its what I do, but now that you have the floor...carry on, I am sure you will have lots of interesting facts to impart.
#1, I have given you the info you asked for, feel free to look up the link to the Baccarat cookware. If there is anything else you wish to ask, I am more than happy to do so...you can always find me in the circle of friends thread.

uli, Mar 1, 8:29am
Lifetime guarantee only lasts as long as the lifetime of the pot of course - not YOUR lifetime!!

lyl_guy, Mar 2, 8:44am
I bought a Baccarat S/S pan last time Farmers had them on sale for 50 or 60% off.... I LOVE it.It's got the sandwiched aluminium base thingy, and solid handle. Farmers are having a sale on cookware tomorrow if anyone's in the market for one.

camper18, Mar 2, 9:04am
I have 5 Baccarat pots Bought at Farmers 50% sales over the last 2 years and have just bought a large frypan which is great in the campervan on the gas. Mine go in the dishwasher and so far they show no sign of deteriorating.
I like the fact they are a deep saucepan with a vented lid and dont boil over or "spit" all over my ceramic hob, ( which drove me mad with my old pots ).

pickles7, Mar 2, 9:45am
that is sort of an odd thing to say....uli....I have pots that are older than 50 years old and are in perfect condition, just what is a life time for a pot???

nik12, Mar 2, 11:11am
I've had the Baccarat one's from Farmers for 11 years, used most days and put in the dishwasher - I can't complain about their quality at all.