Cherry almond slice

niffer13, Feb 20, 3:03am
I tried a slice that had a biscuit base & soft spongy topping with almond flavour & cherries in it. The lady that made it said it was an old english recipe. You make the base by rubbing butter sugar & flour together then halve mixture. 1/2 for base the rest you add milk, soda & eggs.
Does anyone have the recipe please it was so yummy

bluebell42, Feb 20, 3:31am
1 1/2 cups SR flour
150g butter
1/2 cup sugar
Melt butter, add rest press into greased tin and bake 180 for 10 mins.

Mix 1/4 cup (maybe more) red jam, bit of almond essence and 1/4 cup chopped cherries
Spread on base.

1 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup SR flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
50g melted butter
1tsp almond essence
Mix, spread over jam and bake 20-30 mins 180.

Leave 10 mins before cutting.

Makes about 20 pieces and I have frozen it.

nauru, Feb 21, 6:45am
Sound like a Majorca Slice but it is made with a pastry base with a sponge mixture on top.I will look up the recipe from my English WI book, if you like.

niffer13, Mar 11, 10:51pm
Thanks nauru if you could check your English Book that would be great.I've been told that Bakewell Tart is what I should be looking for BUT so long as the recipe is easy I'm happy. Also thanks to bluebell42 I will give that recipe a go too.

macandrosie, Mar 12, 8:47am
If you want something a little different with cherries in you might like to try this recipe:
Cherry Slice
125gr butter
1 cup flour
2 tabs icing sugar
Blend together in processor, then bake in a shallow tin at 180°c
for 5-8 mins.
Filling:
2 eggs
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
½ cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped dates
¼ cup flour
½ cup shredded coconut
½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup chopped glace cherries
Mix all ingreds together adding cherries last.Spread over base & bake at 180° Cfor another 25-30 mins. Ice with orange flavoured icing.

niffer13, Mar 12, 10:51pm
Thanks nauru if you could check your English Book that would be great.I've been told that Bakewell Tart is what I should be looking for BUT so long as the recipe is easy I'm happy. Also thanks to bluebell42 I will give that recipe a go too.

nauru, Mar 13, 11:05pm
Will do when I get home later. Yes a really easy recipe, pastry base with sponge type topping with whatever mix of fruit you like

pickles7, Mar 14, 5:13am
I am thinking a puff pastry base, raspberry jam then the coconut topping like ;

1 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup SR flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
50g melted butter
1tsp almond essence
Mix, spread over jam and bake 20-30 mins 180.

Leave 10 mins before cutting.

Makes about 20 pieces and I have frozen it.

Quotebluebell42 (39 )4:31 pm, Sun 20 Feb #3

nauru, Mar 14, 8:10am
Here you are niffer13. The measurements are imperial as the recipe is from an old UK Womens Institute cookery book.
Majorca Slice
Base:- 4 oz plain flour, 2oz margarine or butter
Rub marg/butter into flour and make into a stiff paste, use a little water if too dry. Roll out thinly and line a greased swiss roll tin.
Topping:- 4 oz marg/butter, 4 oz caster sugar, 1 egg, 4 oz SR flour, 1oz chopped cherries, 1oz sultanas or currants, few drops almond essence, 3 Tablsp. milk.
Cream marg/butter and sugar, add egg and essence,mix well. Add flour and fruit and mix well.Spread topping evenly over pastry base. Bake @ 400F(200C) ) for 10 minutes then reduce to350F(180C) for further 20 minutes until light golden. Leave to cool then cut into fingers or squares.

I usually use half sultanas and currants and sprinkle sliced almonds on topping before baking. You can also just use your own preferred fruit mixture.I have also made this slice using vanilla instead of almond essence and added 1 oz chopped walnuts instead of the cherries.

gardie, Mar 14, 5:31pm
I made bluebells slice but used over a cup of cherries (I had some I wanted to use up).It was really good, better the following day as the flavours blended more.Will definately make this again - better keep an eye our for cherries on special at Bin Inn.

nauru, Mar 15, 8:10am
Here you are niffer13. The measurements are imperial as the recipe is from an old UK Womens Institute cookery book.
Majorca Slice
Base:- 4 oz plain flour, 2oz margarine or butter
Rub marg/butter into flour and make into a stiff paste, use a little water if too dry. Roll out thinly and line a greased swiss roll tin.
Topping:- 4 oz marg/butter, 4 oz caster sugar, 1 egg, 4 oz SR flour, 1oz chopped cherries, 1oz sultanas or currants, few drops almond essence, 3 Tablsp. milk.
Cream marg/butter and sugar, add egg and essence,mix well. Add flour and fruit and mix well.Spread topping evenly over pastry base. Bake @ 400F(200C) ) for 10 minutes then reduce to350F(180C) for further 20 minutes until light golden. Leave to cool then cut into fingers or squares.

I usually use half sultanas and currants and sprinkle sliced almonds on topping before baking. You can also just use your own preferred fruit mixture.I have also made this slice using vanilla instead of almond essence and added 1 oz chopped walnuts instead of the cherries.
Bakewell Tart is similar but with jam between the pastry and a ground almond toppingand omit the dried fruit. I also have a recipe for that from the same book if you want it.

bev00, Mar 14, 9:39am
mmmm bakewell tard