Yummy Salad Recipes PLEASE???

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Jan 21, 5:18am
I take it you will be happy to have sugar in your salads.

If so why not visit the Fridge Salads and More Tomatoes and Cucumbers threads.

Otherwise just do a search there are hundreds of threads with 'Salad' in the title.

jaz8, Jan 21, 5:40am
I make up a 'basic' salad with whatever is in my fridge or garden (capsicum, spring onion, tomatoes, cucumber etc) with a dijon mustard dressing. Olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar mixed together is very nice too. Not fancy, but always very nice.

momma1, Jan 21, 10:20pm
peel and chop up granny smith apples, slice up some celery, add some mayo and sprinkle with cashews.

lx4000, Feb 19, 10:42pm
I always add 1 of or a few of these and its always a winner to lettuce salads:)
sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts of your choice, chopped dried fruit of your choice. Then Don't forget your radishes, celery, silverbeet and fresh herbs!

uli, Feb 20, 12:24am
What is a "small cup" of sugar!
Our cups in NZ are 250ml usually.

elliehen, Feb 20, 3:19am
An old New Zealand term from pre-1950s cookery books, when recipes had measurements in teacups (small) and breakfast cups (large).Picture a dainty porcelain teacup and you have 'small'.

petal-pickle, Feb 20, 8:33pm
Revved up Coleslaw.

I buy the coleslaw at the deli in the supermarket and get them to drain it as I don't like all the water that comes with it (also makes it cheaper as not weighing and paying for all that liquid that just goes down the drain!).When I get it home, I drain it again, put into a large bowl and add chopped granny smith apples, chopped red onion, dried cranberries, cashews or pinenuts and a generous amount of chopped bacon that has been fried until crispy.This is so yummy and reasonably healthy, gets lots of comments when you share it with friends and makes a quick easy dinner on "can't be bothered" nights.Enjoy!

tarshlove, Feb 20, 9:46pm
I make mine with lettuce, sometimes with silverbeet tomato, red and spring onion, cheese, capsicum, avocado, raw mushrooms, apple, egg, sprouts, mung beans, Nuts and Seeds, I fry up some thinly sliced bacon in a bit of butter n make croutons by toasting 2 bits of bread then buttering them and sprinkle chicken stock on them. Cut into crouton size pieces then throw in with bacon till crunchy. For a dressing if I have one I just the 1can of condensed milk 1/2 cup of vinegar and mustard to taste. NOM NOM love my salads :o)

you can add carrot, celery, snow peas, cabbage, corn, peas, radish, broccoli, cauliflower,asparagus, cucumber, raisins, Chicken, fish, meat, tofu, different cheeses, grapes, you can pretty much put anything in to try it :o)

This is worth a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_salads

uli, Feb 22, 5:50am
This is what I do often once I have already done the pickling and fermenting and more cucumbers show up:

It is a fresh salad that keeps in the fridge for 6 weeks or more.

7- 8 cups unpeeled pickling cucumbers sliced thin,
1- 2 cups sliced onions (red looks prettier),
1- 2 cups sliced red or green peppers,
2 tbsp salt,
1cup white vinegar (I use cider),
1 - 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want it),
1tsp celery seed,
1tsp mustard seed,
2 tsp chopped dill or dry dill weed.

Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers, dill and salt and set aside.
Put vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and let cool.
Pour mixture over cucumbers.
Put in jars and store in refrigerator.

Will keep up to 2 months

uli, Feb 23, 8:27pm
bump for more summer salad recipes

ant_sonja, Feb 23, 8:52pm
Salads area favorite in our house, I just use what is available seasonally. Cucumber salad; finely sliced cucumber and onion rings with, a dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, pinch of sugar/salt and lots of dill or a dressing made with finely chopped onion, salt/pepper/dill/lemon juice and cream. We also often have greek salad, chunky pieces of tomato & cucumber, red onion, olives, feta - dressed with lemon juice/olive oil, salt/pepper and oregano. Coleslaw is easy and always nice over the BBQ season. I use cabbage/carrot/onion and lots of fresh parsley and make own dressing. One of our favorite dinners is a massive caesar style salad, cos lettuce, crispy fried bacon, loads of parmesan shavings, make your own dressing, its so much better and you can make it to your own tastes.serve with a poached egg on top and croutons if you like. Spinach or silver beet and roasted mushroom makes a nice combination, add finely sliced onion and crumbed feta or a nice blue cheese. Drizzle with lemon juice and a good fruity olive oil. Add fresh herbs if available. I sometimes add orange segments also or mandarin when seasonal. When abundant with courgettes, I slice them using a veggie peeler, a whole bowl full in long thin strips, do the same with a couple of carrots, finely chopped spring onion, fresh roughly torn parsley, lemon juice and lot of olive oil, salt/pepper.Simple but very nice with a juicy steak from the BBQ.

bridget107, Feb 24, 8:27am

raebea, Feb 24, 9:13am
Orange & Onion Salad,
peel an onion, pref a red one, or any will do , slice not too thickly across the onion, so it will be in rings, then take an orange, peel it & then slice it across , & it will be in rings as well. Put layers of the onion & orange into a jar, or small bowl,For the dressing- - intoa cup put 1 teaspoon salt, a few shakes of pepper,& fill it up to1/4 of the cup with sugar,, then up to1/2 a cup with boiling water, & stir 'til the sugar is dissolved, then fill the cup to the top with vinegar, stir & then pour over the onion & orange ,. this is so nice & I have been making it for years, This same dressing is lovely over tomato, cucumber & onion. If not enough dressing- mix up another lot,takes only a few minutes.

spot20, Feb 24, 8:19pm
Grated raw beetroot, grated carrot, loads of finely chopped mint and parsley, finely shredded beet leaves (when we pull our own beetroot) good squeeze of lemon juice and dress with oil and balsamic vinaigrette! simple but fresh tasty and very healthy! you could of course add xtras toasted sunflower seeds are good.

lisa2211, Feb 24, 10:45pm
I make this one too! But use pine nuts instead of pumpkin and Balsamic vinagar instead of Cider. Might try it wif cider next time see what I think