Scottish Oatcakes recipe please....

cookiebarrel, Jan 17, 8:57am
one using oatmeal.I have lost my recipe and have looked in all my many recipe books to find.....no oatcakes using oatmeal.Did find ones using bran or rolled oats, but having just bought a packet of oatmeal especially for my homemade oatcakes and then losing my recipe, I knew I had to turn to all the lovely cooks on here for help. I know I could 'google' it, but like the fact that on here we usually get the tried and tested recipes, so much better than pot luck. I am trying to save a bit of money and do something a bit healthier as crackers to have with cheese and relish and remember how much I enjoyed the oatcakes, so thought I'd try them.

theanimal1, Jan 17, 10:15am
Scottish oatcakes.

Makes 10

1 cup fine or medium oatmeal
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch baking soda
1 Tbs butter, melted
3-4 Tbs hot water
Fruit chutney and aged cheddar to serve

1 Lightly oil a heavy fry pan or griddle. Mix oatmeal, salt and baking soda in a bowl.

2 Add butter and enough hot water to make a dough. Dust work surface with a little oatmeal and knead the dough until smooth. Cut in half, then roll each out as thinly as possible into rounds.

3 Cut each round into quarters, or farls. Transfer to the warm pan and cook for 4 minutes then turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving with chutney and aged cheddar.

cookiebarrel, Jan 17, 12:41pm
Thanks for that theanimal1 just what I was after.Could you bake these in the oven instead of a frypan?

gardie, Jan 17, 8:54pm
Hi Cookiebarrel.Where did you get your oatmeal from?I usually get mine at Bin Inn - haven't seen it anywhere else but this year I have found it quite floury and not as grainy as it used to be.I make meallie pudding each year for chiristmas and although the flavour is OK, the texture has changed.And do you eat your Oatcakes with a glass of milk and Stovies?

cookiebarrel, Jan 18, 5:47am
Oh yum!Stovies and oatcakes, unfortunatly have used up all the lamb left over from New YearWanted to use the oatcakes with cheese and either relish or pickled onions, my dad's favourite.Haven't had them since he passed away so was kinda going down memory lane for a while.Should have had a Black Bun for New Year, but was so busy I didn't get round to it. Did make the shortbread though. Will have to start earlier this year.I got my oatmeal from Countdown, but like you found it was a bit floury and not as grainy as I like.There was only one packet there and lady said they had got some in especially for someone else.Must find out were I can get the real good stuff from....a new thread I think!

gardie, Feb 12, 8:49pm
Apparently there is a scottish shop some where around and you can order stuff online - haven't looked but surely they would have oatmeal.Will remember to do that for next Christmas.