Lots of broccoli in the garden

msmeets, Jan 8, 5:48am
and its almost ready, whats the best way to frezze... blanch florretts first or just wash and freeze in meal size lots??

hilt_dwane, Jan 8, 9:21am
Not sure on your freezing question but here's a nice broccoli salad if you're interested. Had it for dinner tonight.

300gr broccoli florets,
300gr cauliflower florets,
1 stalk celery,
100gr mushrooms,
1 red pepper diced,
Dressing:
1 tsp fresh ginger peeled and grated,
1 tbsp sesame oil,
2 tbsp light soy sauce,
2 tbsp oil,
1 tbsp lemon juice,
1/4 tsp brown sugar,

Cook broccoli and cauliflower on high in microwave for approx 6 min until tender but still crisp. Place in fridge until cold.
Peel the celery with a potato peeler to remove strands and cut on a fine diagonal.
Prepare and slice mushrooms
Halve pepper and cut into small cubes
Combine all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
To make dressing - mix ingredients together. Just before serving, pour dressing over vegetables in a bowl. Toss gently.

Tip: Keep a piece of root ginger in the freezer, just grate up the required amount and return the remainder to the freezer. No probs grating and dealing with the fibres this way.

msmeets, Jan 8, 6:45pm
2 people and 8 heads of broccolli (ready now), thanks but we are eating it just need best way to freeze it!

gardie, Jan 8, 6:49pm
I've both blanced and frozen as is - both ok but I do find the little bits tend to fall off when frozen - like they are fragile.Only use them in dishes rather than as a single veggie when defrosted (quiches, stir frys etc.)

motorbo, Jan 8, 8:01pm
maybe also make soup and freeze, google i know gordon ramsey had an easy recipe

roseann48, Jan 15, 1:19am
I always blanch first & cool quickly in ice cold water - I find this is important. Freeze immediately. I free flow in big bags. Use as you would fresh broccoli. I steam , stirfry etc but if boiling drop it straight into pot of rapidly boiling water.