Store bought hollandaise???

Page 3 / 4
gardie, Dec 21, 3:05am
Personally, I find it hard that anybody criticizesanyone at all on these messageboards.I love to read different points of view and if I don't agree, I leave.Makes life more pleasant all round.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:05am
I would love an easy one, mine is laborious:

3 egg yolks - room temperature
2 tbs water
175g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes - room temperature
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
Salt & ground white pepper

Place a heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan - quarter-filled with water. The bowl should fit snugly into the pan without touching the water (lift the bowl to check and remove some water if it does).
Remove the bowl, cover the pan and bring the water to the boil over high heat. Uncover and reduce heat to very low so the water is barely simmering (there should be almost no movement at all). It is important that the water is barely simmering while making the sauce - if it is too hot, the egg yolks will cook too much and the sauce will curdle.
Place the egg yolks and the 2 tbs water in the heatproof bowl and place over the pan. Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk the mixture constantly for 3 minutes or until it is thick and pale, has doubled in volume and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted.
Add the butter a cube at a time, whisking constantly and adding another cube when the previous one is incorporated completely. (It should take about 10 minutes to add it all.) If butter is added too quickly, it won't mix easily with the egg yolks or the sauce may lose volume. At the same time, it is important that the butter is at room temperature and added a cube at a time, so that it doesn't take too long to be incorporated - if the sauce cooks for too long, it can curdle.
The sauce will begin to thin when you start adding the butter. However, once the emulsion is established (after about the third cube), it will begin to thicken again. It will continue to thicken as the remaining butter is added. If the sauce curdles or separates it can be saved as long as it isn't grainy and the eggs haven't set.
Remove the bowl from the pan and place on a heatproof surface. The cooked sauce should have the consistency of very lightly whisked thickened cream. Whisk in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

petal1955, Dec 21, 3:06am

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:13am
Thanks petal I'll trial it out tomorrow. I have to drive 4 hours on the 26th morning to do a champagne brunch for son, and am not overly-enamoured of the idea of making a hollandaise from scratch for Eggs Bene for 12!

buzzy110, Dec 21, 3:18am
This is true. However, some of the ideas and hints, tips and recipes I post are regularly criticised by others who don't understand that food can be created without the benefit of Maggi, Campbells, Watties or any other large manufacturer of edibles and that it is not that hard.

Personally I like to post without making reference to others unless it is positive but often people will make snidey and ignorant comments about my post before going on to recommend their own versions.

So, if I occasionally lapse into irony then I feel quite relaxed about that.

spotswood, Dec 21, 3:53am
my vote would be Kato.It's made by chefs,it's just like making your own!

davidt4, Dec 21, 4:09am
Have you ever read the list of ingredients on the package!If it contains anything apart from butter, egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper it is not Hollandaise.I think you will find that Kato, like all of the other fakes, is made with vegetable oil.

If the original poster finds it daunting to make Eggs Benedict for 12 (and who could blame her!) then it would make more sense and be more honest to make something completely different that is more manageable for a big table.Why would you want to feed fake food to your nearest and dearest!

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 4:45am
Thanks David, but I am a pretty damned good cook if I do so say myself, and whatever I turn out will be both memorable and tasty and I challenge you to beat my potato rosti, sugared bacon, cured dill gravalax and perfectly poached eggs!

The breakfast is for my son, his siblings and his close mates, not an Iron chef challenge. They'll be full of the joys of the Boxing Day races and some champagne. He's had my REAL hollandaise and he's had Katos and I never heard him or anyone else moaning. It will simply be a side bowl fgs, many will not even have it.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 4:48am
↑is that post of mine an overreaction or what ↑ !

geldof, Dec 21, 5:06am
Psml.you're alright.We all do what we need to do.I LOVE cooking, but am quite happy using the odd packet.What you are doing makes perfect sense to me.
It's easy to judge on MB without having all information, or knowing people personally.
Buzzy, Davidt etc are all correct as well.I wouldn't like to only use packet foods, as i know many people do.they are trying to educate others.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 5:12am
Fair enough.I can see recipes is worse than O&P

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 5:23am
Anyway I'll try that much easier "geldof" method. Thanks for that geldof. Anything that uses a stick blender gets my vote.

I always use a HIGH-POWERED stick blender to do my mayo. I add the egg yolk, l/j or vinegar in the base of the requisite jar thingamee that comes with the blender. Then I add grapeseed oil or O/Oil depending on recipe needed, place the stick to the bottom of container,turn it on full, count to 5 then slowly lift it through the mix. Perfect French Mayo imho.(waits for flames)

geldof, Dec 21, 5:31am
STIRRER!Happy cooking and Merry Christmas!

nauru, Dec 21, 7:52am
kulkkulbelle, which stick blender do you have!. I'm open to recommendations as my present one a Do It All is about to die and I need to replace it.Does yours have a goblet attachment and is it a SS stick rather than plastic.

And No IMO, you didn't overeact in your earlier post.

seniorbones, Dec 21, 8:29am
I used to make it but now only ever use Kato its so nice, and as someone else metioned it is made by chefs.it has a long shelf life too and usually buy 3 or 4 at a time, I bet because i dont have any neither will the supermarket tomorrow!

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 9:41am
My current one is a Braun turbo 600 watt. I know my last one was not powerful enough to make Mayo that way, but this one gets it right every time. I can highly recommend it. it's not a professional SS one, but it has just gone and gone for years.

http://www.braun.com/nz/hand-blenders/multiquick-5/models.html

tinamac, Dec 21, 9:46pm
I am asking suzieq.please,I would love your recipe.

redhead21, Dec 21, 11:38pm
no you dont need shooting, it is making your life easier.I use the packet ones, continental and maggi.They are yummy.Why make life hard for yourself when in moments the meal is eaten. enjoy the meal and the extra time you gave yourself.

katalin2, Dec 22, 12:25am
From Edmond's Microwave Cookbook: pretty idiotproof which is great when you are in a hurry. I have made it with sour cream instead of cream when I didn't have any cream- it was even nicer tho not strictly hollandaise. I often add fine zest of lemon as well as we like it lemony.

50g butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
Melt butter on high in microwave for 30 seconds.
Add lemon juice, egg yolks and cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add seasonings and beat until smooth.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 22, 1:02am
ULI!

You're a wag aren't you. This is a year ago thread!

I whipped in here to source (excuse pun) an easy, peasy lemon curd for the Xmas pavlova and I found one of my oldest threads getting the bump.

Thanks for the recipe, and just for you, I'm using it as I'mdoing a repeat of the Eggs Bene - same son, another year older, but with only 10 for breakfast and not 20. They need sustenance before they head to the Boxing Day races

duckmoon, Dec 22, 3:02am
I buy it in a jar.
Same brand as the doijion mustard I buy. someting beginning with 'M'

kulkkulbelle, Dec 22, 3:06am
Wow - and this is unrecognisable from the clarify, whisk and double boiler one!

kulkkulbelle, Dec 22, 3:45am
thanks Meg, all the lazy Hollandaisy girls are coming out of the woodwork now. Yours and suzieq's look very painless.I will try them both

kinna54, Dec 22, 5:07am
Hey I have made more hollandaise than I ever care to remember. but I still cheat when needs must. I find the one in the fresh colddeli sections at New World or Woolworths is awesome!.
duckmmon Perhaps the brand you are looking for is masterfoods!

cloudberry, Dec 22, 5:14am
I always make mayo this way now - so easy and never fails. I sometimes chuck a ripe avocado into the mix - makes it a pretty pale green colour and so delicious!